Writing Thesaraus'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Ah...yes, I have been using that site when online for a while. I'm sure some will appresiate you post the link.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I truly hate that sight. I think it leads writers to cookie cutter, cliched writing. It's usually all too easy to tell when a writer has used this sight. All sorts of cliched phrases, and cliched movements, and cliched emotions, and everything else stand out.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
I truly hate that sight. I think it leads writers to cookie cutter, cliched writing. It's usually all too easy to tell when a writer has used this sight. All sorts of cliched phrases, and cliched movements, and cliched emotions, and everything else stand out.

I don't "hate" the site but I do find so many generic content in many how-to-write sites. There's no quick and easy way to "learn" writing, it just takes practice and love. I used to obsess with these sorts of books and blogs but in the end (ie past few years), but then I realized I spent too much time analyzing and not enough time living and writing. They can be helpful for the writer who's still learning craft, and I think those sites are good for ideas or pointers, but following their cookie-cutter designs hinder the writer's voice and creativity.

Gotta let that creativity flow from within!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see any point in hating something that other writers find useful, just because I don't, nor do I assume that if I encounter writing I don't think is very good, it's because the writer used a hated resource.

I am another who's never found much use in such compendiums (compendia? :D ) as in the link, but I tend to be a live and let live sort of person, since one thing I have observed over the years is that my own opinion is not always correct. It's good to retain the capacity to learn.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
This seems pretty helpful to me. I'm trying to wrap my head around all the cliched thoughts, feelings, and actions in the world. It might be nice to know what's not considered cliche today.

Probably nothing.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
An ordinary thesaurus is good enough for me. I've set my Word program so that with two mouse clicks the word or phrase is submitted to http://Thesaurus.com & the answer is displayed in my browser. It takes less than a second before I have the answer before me.

In rare situations I reach out my hand & pull Roget's International Thesaurus off the bookshelf right next to my computer work area.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Of course, when I am seriously egaged I use J.I. Rodale's Synonym Finder: 1361 pages of nothing but synonyms.

Status
Not open for further replies.