Poets that...

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
What are some poets that you feel write with a real sense of place? They come from the same place that you do and you really connect with them because of that? What are some examples of those types poems?

I am really interested by this, so I hope some people take the time to reply. Thanks, and sorry for the vague title. I find that people click on threads more often when the title is very vague.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question - and yes, your vague title worked!

Seamus Heaney. Whenever I read a poem of his, I get an intimate sense of rural Ireland.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I have been a nomad most of my life, finding poets that speak to my sense of place in terms of where I live is kinda hard. But I very much resonate with the sense of place I find in the poetry of Wendell Berry, who spent his entire life on one small farm, I believe.

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question - and yes, your vague title worked!

Seamus Heaney. Whenever I read a poem of his, I get an intimate sense of rural Ireland.

Yeah Heaney is a very good example of what I mean! He is also one that I feel that sort of connection with, there are plenty of Ulster poets that are the same.

Are there any poets where you are from that particularly resonate with you, precisely because they are from the same place? As in the things they write about or certain references to local places/things strike a particular chord. The issue of identity and how this shapes us, has always interested me (perhaps because of where I am from) and so I am interested in how this manifests itself in poetry, from the perspectives of both reader and writer.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know of any - and I feel I should. I shall make it a quest.

I've lived in Australia for twenty years, but I've never written poems set here, not specifically. I have wondered about that.

Last edited:

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
A poet not as well known as some, but very readable as well as poet of place, is Kevin Goodan. Kevin has lived in a number of locals including Montana and Idaho, right next to my own Wyoming.

The bitterness of winter in these areas is represented by poems like "from here, the mare plodding forward". He doesn't give his poems names in the volume, "Winter Tenor", so that is the first line of this poem.

He is however not just a "cold pastoral poet".

Type in the above first line of this poem and see for yourself.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, C.Bronco -- this blog post quotes a wonderful Jack Wiler poem -- I just found it and only skimmed so far but I attest it is wonderful by virtue of the lines I read -- the poem is titled The Poem Where I Say Thank You and I'm going to go read through it right now.

:D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and I read it.

Oh. Wow.

Thanks very much for that name, C.Bronco, for Jack Wiler's name, so I could find that poem.

goodness.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My sense of place is the world. Oddly, I feel at home wherever I walk on the globe. To read a poem that touches the ground that I have touched and find that its words bring me back to that ground...that's where I'm happiest with finding a kinship to a sense of place. Just communion with a fellow traveler who has been there, who has done that.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Tony Harrison, because whenever I read one of his poems about Leeds or Newcastle I feel like he might be a particularly clever long-lost uncle of mine.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
I like the poems of Jack Wiler that I was able to find on the net today, thanks C.Bronco.