The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Raven International Publishing

Raven International Publishing

Okay, I hope this is quick.

So I actually sold a story (hurray, hurray) to Raven International Press. It's called Property, not that the title is important, but it was substantially improved in SYW, so that part's nifty, and I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with it.

Anyway, it's an anthology, and they sent me a contract, and it doesn't have what I believe is called a reversion clause. The bit where if it goes out of print, then the rights revert to the author.

I'm allowed to post it to my website as long as I link back to RIP. That will come in handy when I have a website (it's on my to-do list).

Should I ask for a reversion clause, or is that unusual with short stories? (Property is 1600 words.) It's not a deal-breaker for me, but I'd like to ask, unless it's some sort of writerly faux pas.

Thanks in advance, to any who wish to weigh in.

Website/blog: The Beauty of Words
    Twitter: @CathleenTowns

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathleenT View Post
    Okay, I hope this is quick.

So I actually sold a story (hurray, hurray) to Raven International Press. It's called Property, not that the title is important, but it was substantially improved in SYW, so that part's nifty, and I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with it.

Anyway, it's an anthology, and they sent me a contract, and it doesn't have what I believe is called a reversion clause. The bit where if it goes out of print, then the rights revert to the author.

I'm allowed to post it to my website as long as I link back to RIP. That will come in handy when I have a website (it's on my to-do list).

Should I ask for a reversion clause, or is that unusual with short stories? (Property is 1600 words.) It's not a deal-breaker for me, but I'd like to ask, unless it's some sort of writerly faux pas.

Thanks in advance, to any who wish to weigh in.
    Anthologies generally buy either one time rights or limited period rights. Few anthologies stay in print for very long.

If there is no term limit, and the rights are exclusive, then, yeah, I'd negotiate it so that you can sell second print rights down the road.

I'd be happy to look at the contract if you want to send me the relevant clauses via PM.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    Anthologies generally buy either one time rights or limited period rights. Few anthologies stay in print for very long.
    What Unimportant said.

Oh, and the time limit doesn't mean they can't publish your story after that, it just ensures that you can sell reprint rights elsewhere. Most of my contacts with limits use one year, but it depends on the publisher.

practical experience, FTW aleighrose's Avatar
    Just for future reference, here's their website: http://www.raveninternationalpublishing.com/
    ~ Leigh

Wow! I moved.

Thanks everyone, especially Unimportant.

ETA: btw, I just saw their ownership of the rights expires at the end of this year. Sorry, I should have reread the contract. I'll get a handle on all this writing stuff. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by CathleenT; 01-22-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Just a quick update, in case anyone is interested in this publisher. Unimportant read over my contract, and didn't see anything wrong with it.

Self-Banned
    I glanced over their site. And...oh dear. One of their free stories looks like a first draft that no one bothered to edit. (Typos, grammar mistakes, wrong words used, bad or missing punctuation, awkward prose, etc.) Which might be just as well, since one editing article I read had four errors in the first paragraph.

More troubling, I couldn't find anything about their books on the site, nor any information about the people running Raven International. Amazon lists only two books for the publisher, both by the same author.

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by eqb View Post
    I glanced over their site. And...oh dear.
    I wish they wouldn't keep spelling it "sneak peak".

And then there's this:

The movie and publishing industries, no doubt are fraught with risks. This investment risk has toppled even the biggest of production and publishing houses and scattered them into oblivion.
    I'm sorry, but which of the Big 5 have been toppled and scattered into oblivion? I must have missed that development.

ETA : I checked out the sample of the free short story, and in the first paragraph, consisting of five sentences, three of those sentences ended in exclamation marks. The rest of the story was similarly in need of editing, and the sample ended with "the time of reckoning was neigh."
    Last edited by Marian Perera; 01-24-2015 at 06:23 PM.

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marian Perera View Post
    I checked out the sample of the free short story, and in the first paragraph, consisting of five sentences, three of those sentences ended in exclamation marks. The rest of the story was similarly in need of editing, and the sample ended with "the time of reckoning was neigh."
    Ouch.
    KINGLET: Coming from FIERY SEAS PUBLISHING in August 2017

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Self-Banned
    They say they are looking for "two prolific authors to bring into the RIP family." And yet, we know nothing about who runs the company, if they have published other books, what kind of royalties they pay, or how they plan to distribute those books.

Add to that the "editing" example of their free story, and I would run fast and far from this outfit.

Typos in a mere blog post, I'll forgive - I've had to go back and edit more than a few. But word-choice errors this bad? In a promo piece meant to advertise the company? Ouch, indeed.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

I wish they wouldn't keep spelling it "sneak peak".
    I wish they would use "ninja mountain" instead.

Ouch.
    Last edited by CathleenT; 01-25-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Self-Banned
    Their website is a complete mess. Their "advice" articles are incoherent and misleading. Based on the two books they have on Amazon, the outfit is a front for one person self-publishing one book (two editions).

I was going to say that perhaps they might do a better job with anthologies, but frankly, that's like wishing for Santa Claus to be real.

practical experience, FTW Casey Karp's Avatar
    the sample ended with "the time of reckoning was neigh."
    Let's be optimistic here. Maybe the next paragraph begins with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse showing up. If so, one hopes they'll start by paying a visit to the editor who worked on that "sample".
    The RagTime Traveler: Coming from Poisoned Pen Press, June 2017!

The Stairs, The Guides, and the Bay Area Splat Squad
    : On hiatus (Query thread for minor historical value)
    Lord Peter's Eyes: Querying!
    Mo'less Jones: On hold
    No Title Yet: Writing, writing, writing

Wanna talk tech, SFF, or cats? Drop me a note.

Blogging regularly at Koi Scribblings

*lurk*
    Anyone have any further info on this publisher? They just put out another call for an anthology (about superheroes) which I'm interested in, but their home page is so cluttered that I can't even tell which books they're selling and which ones they're just promoting (they seem to promote a lot of "how to write" books, possibly in conjunction with the online course they're offering/partnered with?)

On the other hand, I just read over their sample chapter on their home page, and... well, there were only a few obvious grammar/spelling errors, but the writing was very stilted (and missing a lot of commas). And a woman is described as "exotic" and having brown skin "like churned peanut butter" in practically the same sentence, which makes me think I already know where this is going....

Go with your gut feeling on this one, I'd say.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiakall View Post
    Anyone have any further info on this publisher? They just put out another call for an anthology (about superheroes) which I'm interested in....

AND it's only open for 4 days. Personally, I wouldn't submit work.