Is this the right place? [writing webcomics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
I know AW is a great resource for all sorts of writing, but having read some of the FAQ stickies, and looking over the forum topics I have to check...

Is AW the right place to seek advice/aid/etc. for writing a webcomic? Or is that considered under the same umbrella as fan-fiction? (Even if the story is original?)

If its not, that's fine. I'll certainly use AW for other things. Though, I'd love suggestions of the correct place in that case.

Thanks!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As long as it's an original work, you're in the right place.

Are you writing the text, doing the art, or both? We have other web comic people here, if you look around.

Maryn, hoping to help

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks :)

@Maryn: I'm attempting to do both, but am only just starting. So, still in the all text stage.

@dpaterso: See, I did peek at that one, but it seemed very...idk, super-heroes/your typical comic book series, whereas I feel like webcomics are pretty different. Though, I could have just not looked hard enough at that area. So I definitely make my way over there again. And, no thanks. This thread is purely for clarification ;)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
@dpaterso: See, I did peek at that one, but it seemed very...idk, super-heroes/your typical comic book series, whereas I feel like webcomics are pretty different. Though, I could have just not looked hard enough at that area. So I definitely make my way over there again. And, no thanks. This thread is purely for clarification ;)

Comics is comics (and bad grammar is purposeful). :) We don't have many webcomic artists around, but they are here, and we're just as happy to help work out kinks with them as we are with a novel, graphic or otherwise.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
Comics is comics (and bad grammar is purposeful). :)

As for the end result, and a lot of the work they entail...yeah, it's apples to apples. I guess I just see the way that webcomics in particular are released (page by page, online) that creates its own world of unique problems. That and from my experience (which probably is grossly limited) webcomics seem more open in what they are about; whereas comic books and GNs tend to swirl around a certain set of genres, topics, and archetypes.

We don't have many webcomic artists around, but...we're just as happy to help work out kinks with them as we are with a novel, graphic or otherwise.

Can I safely assume that you are included in that "we"? And if so, I might need to pick your brain a little ;p

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
As for the end result, and a lot of the work they entail...yeah, it's apples to apples. I guess I just see the way that webcomics in particular are released (page by page, online) that creates its own world of unique problems. That and from my experience (which probably is grossly limited) webcomics seem more open in what they are about; whereas comic books and GNs tend to swirl around a certain set of genres, topics, and archetypes.

I just meant in terms of that specific forum. We don't separate between the comics on the board. Saying webcomics are identical in creation and publication to graphic novels or monthly comics would be doing them all a disservice.

starlinguncaged

Registered
Reaction score
:] D'aww, thanks! I'd be happy to tell you about it some. I'm gonna post a thread over in the comics forum, so feel free to follow me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.