• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Word on the tip of your tongue? Here's a tool to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiloh

The Squid
Registered
Reaction score
http://chir.ag/projects/tip-of-my-tongue/

I've found that I often can't think of the word I want, and that slows me down considerably and demoralizes me.

I couldn't remember the word "objective" today and found this. Under Word Meaning I put "experience", and under Starts With I put "o", and the word I was looking for was the top result!

Nice to have a little tool for a problem that peeves me, hope it helps y'all too.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
When I can't think of a word, I'll just place the thought or what I'm trying to say in parenthesis and keep typing. I've found that when I have to sit and think of the exact word I'm trying to say, it ruins the flow. So instead of being so hard on myself, I let it go immediately. I may be dumb today, but I won't be dumb next week, or next month when I go back to it!

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Very interesting. Of course, I'm sure it's going to come to...

"Why can't I remember that word? It's...wait, I know there's a tool to remember words. Why can't I remember where it is?"

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Looks really helpful. I'm often looking for the right word, with something close in meaning or close sounding that I know is not exactly right. It's the main thing I use a thesaurus for.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
When I can't think of a word, I'll just place the thought or what I'm trying to say in parenthesis and keep typing. I've found that when I have to sit and think of the exact word I'm trying to say, it ruins the flow. So instead of being so hard on myself, I let it go immediately. I may be dumb today, but I won't be dumb next week, or next month when I go back to it!

I do this exact same thing. And the same when I know a word doesn't fit but I can't think of a better way to say it at that time. I can go back later and sort it out.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Wow, great tool! Sometimes thinking of the word you can't recall can be very annoying.
Thank you for sharing:)

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score

Exactly.

My first drafts look pretty ugly with a few, "ad---ment " and such up and down the page, but at least I get it out.

But that is an interesting link.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
When I have difficulty, I usually write another "easier" word that means the same thing, then use Word's thesaurus to look up synonyms. LOL

Most of the time, this method doesn't produce the exact word I wanted to use, but it helps me find better alternatives.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I do the exact same thing. I figure out the details later. I tend to elaborate at what my objective is or the emotion or idea that I am trying to convey for the exactitude of meaning so I know exactly what I was thinking when I go back to it, what sort of effect I was hoping to produce.

Godyth

Crusader Rabbit is my hero.
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool!

I'm going to use this. When stuck, I try to block in the 'feel' of the word or a general meaning and move on. But when I'm tired, having a word on the tip of my tongue is often a giant tar-pit that sucks me down and kills the word flow.
Thanks!!:)

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I have used this about 10 times in the last week. :)

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score

THIS! I do the same. And I love the theory about being 'dumb' one day, but not the next. haha

ADutchWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Pretty much my strategy as well.
Sometimes afterwards I completely rewrite sentences that I feel will convey what I want to tell even better.

It can be very frustrating being in the middle of a project and suddenly finding yourself stuck for the lack of a word when you already have the next couple of sentences in mind.

ctina

Registered
Reaction score
OMG it drives me crazy when I can't think of a word. I'll either just rewrite the sentence or sit there and keep asking myself WHAT WAS IT, BRAIN. COME ON.

So this'll be helpful--thank you for sharing! :)

matthew86

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Wow,thanks for sharing.
I have that kind of problem all the time.
It looks really helpful and easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.