AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bolero Books

New Adult Romance Author marielong's Avatar

Bolero Books

Has anyone ever worked with this publisher? Any info on them? http://buybolerobooks.com/

practical experience, FTW
    Haven't worked with them or heard of them before. However, the site seems to be aimed at buyers not authors, which is usually a good sign.

What makes me pause, though, is that they seem to both offer various services (such as editing, cover design, etc.) and more traditional publishing. That brings a lot of risks of conflict of interest at the least.

The site also seems to be partially unfinished. For example, under "About" -> "Who We Are", there is just the word Bios.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    I've never heard of them. Ebook only, it looks like? Nice cover art.

Their blog's latest post, while old (May 2014), says
    Bolero Books Anthology Devour has hit the NYT times best seller list at #21!!!! Congrats to all our authors.
    It takes a hell of a lot of advance print sales to hit the NYT bestseller list, doesn't it?

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    I've never heard of them. Ebook only, it looks like? Nice cover art.

Their blog's latest post, while old (May 2014), says

It takes a hell of a lot of advance print sales to hit the NYT bestseller list, doesn't it?
    Probably. However, if you click on the cover, you see
    "All proceeds go to First Candle Foundation" and "Amazon, NY Times, USA Today Bestselling Authors", so I do wonder to what degree it's Bolero Books that caused it to sell well and how much of it is the result of the combination of "proceeds go to charity" and "bestselling authors".

When I combine that with some information from the blurb at "Author Services" (more specifically, "Some of the biggest names in the indie world have entrusted their books to be published, either as part of an anthology or independently, through Bolero Books.") I also wonder if it's a book published by Bolero (through their traditional publishing) or independent authors publishing through Bolero.

New Adult Romance Author marielong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
    Probably. However, if you click on the cover, you see
    "All proceeds go to First Candle Foundation" and "Amazon, NY Times, USA Today Bestselling Authors", so I do wonder to what degree it's Bolero Books that caused it to sell well and how much of it is the result of the combination of "proceeds go to charity" and "bestselling authors".
    Wow, that's interesting. Does it count toward NYT sales if proceeds go to charity? If so, I can see a lot of people abusing this loophole in the system, enticing readers to buy the book because it's going for a good cause. Technically, it IS going to a good cause, but the authors would still benefit from the # of book sales because they may be riding on the reader's good intentions of donating to a charity....

There are so many variables here...
    Award-winning author of the Anderson Brothers Series
    www.marielongauthor.com

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Ah, I found the answer to my question: the NYT has an e-book bestseller list. And, yep, the Bolero book is on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...tion/list.html