Registered
Reaction score

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This is my shocked face.

._.

Even if he had come back from heaven, the way his father has been raking in money off of it is...pretty dang crass.

I mean, the movie was chockablock full of product placement, if I remember the reviews right.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any Christian denomination where his story would even be the slightest bit theologically sound? You don't get to go to heaven if you haven't actually died, surely?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
This is my shocked face.

._.
Mine too.

I mean, I'm shocked...SHOCKED...that this turned out to be bullshit. I never saw that coming. ;)

Even if he had come back from heaven, the way his father has been raking in money off of it is...pretty dang crass.

I mean, the movie was chockablock full of product placement, if I remember the reviews right.
That movie was based on a different book which basically tells the same made-up bullshit to financially capitalize on people's fear of death.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...wait, there are two boys who died, went to heaven, then made massive amounts of moneygolds for their parents?

...do both have absurdly creepy twitter feeds? (EDIT: Oh, this might be a parody. In which case, it's creepy AND funny, instead of just funny and creepy!)

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, both books came out in the same year. It seemed to have been a thing for a little while a few years ago.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
"Heavenly tourism." That's a thing. Huh.

Alex didn't just know he'd get attention. He knew he'd get positive attention. Not so if he'd told a different story.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any Christian denomination where his story would even be the slightest bit theologically sound? You don't get to go to heaven if you haven't actually died, surely?

Well, unless, you know, God makes a mista... , yeah, gotcha.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

There's certainly precedent for visiting the afterlife in other religions. What would make the Christian one so special?

Plus there were all those South Park episodes where Kenny did it.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His name is really Alex Malarkey?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had to double check that this wasn't an Onion article.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
This really came as a surprise to anyone? Really? To those people: Ive got some ocean front property in Arizona for you. Better call quickly cause its going fast. That number to call- BR-549.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
There's certainly precedent for visiting the afterlife in other religions. What would make the Christian one so special?

Plus there were all those South Park episodes where Kenny did it.

That's why I'm interested to know if there are any. I think the idea that you can get a concussion or a hypo or whatever, and thereby be granted special dispensation to visit paradise and meet Jesus, is an alien one to most mainstream denominations.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
But what about the other kid? Does this mean he was telling the truth?

Oh, wait, that's exactly what'll happen. People will point to the other heavenly visit and say, "Just cos one lied, doesn't mean they both did."

Which, technically, is true but... ya know.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
But...but...it was on the Internet so it had to be true.

;)

My faith--ahem--in humanity has been sorely shaken. However, my faith in the god of pasta has now been restored. All hail PASTA!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But what about the other kid? Does this mean he was telling the truth?

Oh, wait, that's exactly what'll happen. People will point to the other heavenly visit and say, "Just cos one lied, doesn't mean they both did."

Which, technically, is true but... ya know.
I'll have to dig around but I saw something earlier that the Burpo father (yeah. Burpo) of Heaven Is Real fame mentioned he thought The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven sounded a little far fetched.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

And um, people don't actually get to go to Heaven until judgement day either, do they? Or do certain unambiguously saved people get to go to Heaven right away but more marginal cases hang out in purgatory (or sleep) until the end of days when they will be judged?

But don't Christians believe salvation is unambiguous? If you truly believe in Jesus as son of God and as savior you're saved, and if you don't you're damned? So why have a judgement day at all then?

This aspect of Christian theology has always confused me.

I'll confess I never even heard about this kid until I saw this thread.

But...but...it was on the Internet so it had to be true.

;)

My faith--ahem--in humanity has been sorely shaken. However, my faith in the god of pasta has now been restored. All hail PASTA!

One more reason to become a Pastafarian!

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's my understanding that whatever people see during these "near-death" experiences is the demo version,anyway... and anybody who's ever bought software knows how that goes. ;)

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The Sydney Opera House is for sale. I'm the estate agent handling the deal.

Yours for only 5.5 million US. I accept Paypal.