The "What NOT to do" thread (or: subplots/tropes that are cliche)

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading lots of useful articles and blog entries from the pros lately, and some of the most entertaining and informative ones have been the what NOT to do articles (ways not to begin a novel, what not to mention in queries, etc.)

I thought it'd be interesting to address subplots, since that's a topic not addressed as often as other topics, and when it is, it tends to be in a vague manner. (Write subplots that move the main plot forward! Make them interesting! Um...duh?)

I'm asking this question as readers: what subplot elements do you try to stay away from, or find annoying/cliche?

I've been reading loads of YA urban fantasy, same genre as my WIP, the past couple months - both good and bad quality, to study what works and what doesn't.

My subplots do have a lot of common elements found in YA: romantic conflict-of-interests with main plot, family problems, etc. At the same time, there are a lot of subplots that I see a lot, but that I want to avoid in my book, simply because I found them to be cheesy and/or Mary Sue-ish. Certain subplots just seem a bit overdone to me as a reader. Of course, it depends on HOW it's executed, but still, certain things just seem to make people roll their eyes after a while.

For example: the subplot where 2 amazing and hot guys are both head over heels for the girl MC, and her biggest woe is choosing which one.
Or the subplot where her and her best friend both crush on the same person, and it's portrayed as the ultimate suspense.

So, my question is angled toward when you are the reader as opposed to the writer: what types of subplots make you feel wary or roll your eyes, if any?

This isn't intended to bash anyone who happens to include something listed. It doens't make their book bad. It's just that certain subplot elements are cliche and I'm curious what all of y'all are getting tired of.

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard the gauge the effectiveness of a subplot without knowing the main plot and how the two differ.

Your examples don't seem to be subplots, but just plot elements or tropes. A love triangle is a large trope for the romance genre. Without knowing how they play a role in the main plot, it's hard to understand how you think they are subplots and not just tropes.

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
Okay - tropes is probably the word I meant, then.

What types of tropes do you guys, as YA readers, personally tend to find overdone?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
If you do mean tropes instead of subplots, please correct that in the opening post and the thread title. They are two completely different things. If you do not know the difference, please do some research.

The main trope I'm tired of seeing is in YA: Obligatory romance.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Backstabbing best friends. At least when it's between girls--I wouldn't say it's overdone with boys or mixed-gender friendships. Mainly I feel like YA has a dearth of strong, supportive female friendships, so I just sigh wearily when I see another one crumble.

On the other hand, I love Courtney Summers....

Chazemataz

I went to sleep a poet
Registered
Reaction score
Backstabbing best friends. At least when it's between girls--I wouldn't say it's overdone with boys or mixed-gender friendships. Mainly I feel like YA has a dearth of strong, supportive female friendships, so I just sigh wearily when I see another one crumble.

On the other hand, I love Courtney Summers....

See also: secondary characters with zero personality. Like at all. The bitchy best friend thing gets me to put down a book immediately and is what caused me to go out of my way to show a positive, uplifting girl-girl friendship in my own WIP.

I'm staring you down, Becca Fitzpatrick. Staring. You. Down.

Last edited:

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sick of "take down the cheerleader bully" subplots, though I suppose I wouldn't be if said cheerleader bullies were a bit deeper characterization-wise. Luckily I don't see this type of subplot much anymore.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Eternally sick and tired of the supposedly badass female main character turning into a simpering idiot (or, worse, undergoing a total personality transplant) as soon as she gets a dude in her life. I'm all for vulnerable badasses, but jfc, if I see one more character go from Katniss to Bella in two seconds flat as soon as there's a boy...

Just. Stop.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Eternally sick and tired of the supposedly badass female main character turning into a simpering idiot (or, worse, undergoing a total personality transplant) as soon as she gets a dude in her life. I'm all for vulnerable badasses, but jfc, if I see one more character go from Katniss to Bella in two seconds flat as soon as there's a boy...

Just. Stop.

Agreed

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm kind of getting sick of the whole "obligatory first-time sex scene in the last book of the series" thing.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score

Just. Stop.

THIS.

I'm kind of getting sick of the whole "obligatory first-time sex scene in the last book of the series" thing.

THIS.

Also the 'topple the mean cheerleader' trope mentioned earlier in the thread. VERY good MC versus VERY evil/mean high school cliques...

I guess absent and/or dead parents could be mentioned, but I'm so guilty of that trope myself...:tongue

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sick of MC's best friends having the same kind of personality. The bubbly, spontaneous, goofy, wise-cracking foil to our shy/serious MC. No vulnerable moments or anything that makes them into an actual character. I guess I just mean I want more genuine friendships, especially girl/girl.

Of course I hate absent parents, but I think I'm seeing less of that. More YA parents are around now and more of them have real personalities. Yay!

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
Female MCs who don't know how pretty they are. Katniss, Tris, Bella...all super skinny, perfect skin girls and when boys go crazy over them they're all blushing, like, "What? Why? I'm not special."

And I'm like, "Shut up! WE ALL KNOW YOU KNOW."

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Female MCs who don't know how pretty they are. Katniss, Tris, Bella...all super skinny, perfect skin girls and when boys go crazy over them they're all blushing, like, "What? Why? I'm not special."

YES!

Also, perfect skin in general. I had chronic, horrible acne throughout my teens and still suffer from skin problems (though thankfully not as bad now). Please, YA authors, give someone something worse than the occasional pimple. And don't portray them as some pizza-faced troglodyte.

Mallory

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting stuff! I'm glad to be cliche-free on most of those, except I do need to be careful to avoid having a too-flat best friend character.

Instead of the cliches, what might you rather see?
For example, let's say you're reading your 10th book in a row with a stupid love triangle, and you had the opportunity to change it...what would you want to see instead? What are some unique types of situations or perspectives (relating to BF/GF, crushes, friendships, etc) that you'd like to see portrayed more?

I loved the ending of the Dark Materials trilogy, where things weren't predictably happy-go-lucky with Lyra and Will. Breakups due to different places/callings in life happen all the time, so it was particularly relatable, and also I like seeing the message that saving the world is sometimes more important than a romance.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Unusual conflicts instead of the stereotypical ones.

A character trying to be late to class because they don't want to talk to a certain classmate.
A character bullying someone and getting away with it because no one thinks a nerd would bully a popular girl.
A character desperately trying to make friends instead of informing the reader about their loneliness as a beautiful blonde misfit. (Or alternately, circumstances that show that the character actually is an outcast and misfit.)

Stuff like that.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score

Yes!
Especially when female MCs think about how they really aren't that pretty, because they're skinny and have brown hair and brown eyes, as if those are flaws at all.

RationalIdealist

Registered
Reaction score

I once read a book where the MC bemoaned how plain she was while describing her "shiny dark hair which glimmered golden when it caught the light" and every other obviously beautiful part of her body in great detail. Yes, that quote is not verbatim, and probably slightly exaggerated, but it conveys the gist of the description.

One thing I don't mind, though, is when a girl is (to most people) plain or on the low end of pretty but the hero thinks that she's beautiful. ;) I constantly see this trope in real life--and besides, it's cute.

RationalIdealist

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sick of MC's best friends having the same kind of personality. The bubbly, spontaneous, goofy, wise-cracking foil to our shy/serious MC. No vulnerable moments or anything that makes them into an actual character. I guess I just mean I want more genuine friendships, especially girl/girl.

Of course I hate absent parents, but I think I'm seeing less of that. More YA parents are around now and more of them have real personalities. Yay!

Fleshed-out secondary characters are a godsend. Foils are important, but realistic foils are more so. Also, you'd think that especially in a high school setting a bubbly spontaneous person would hang with other bubbly spontaneous people and not with a shy serious person, unless the two derive mutual benefit from the relationship. (Oh my God I sound like my 9th grade Biology teacher when he talked about symbiotic relationships in the animal world.)

For YA parents with real personalities, I recommend ARISTOTLE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE. Not only is it an awesome book, its parents are pretty dang cool without being "cool parents".

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this sounds weird, coming from someone who spent high school as a bullied outcast, but can we have people who are pretty and popular who aren't total bitches? Believe it or not, some people don't become popular because they're cutthroat and good at stabbing people in the back; some pretty popular girls* are genuinely nice people who have great people skills/charisma. Having great people skills/charisma isn't necessarily a bad thing.

In fact, the Bitchy!Pretty!Popular!Girl trope was one of the reasons why I stopped reading X-Men Evolution fanfiction. It drove me up a wall to see Jean Grey turned into the clichéd Mean Girl given that nothing in canon (animated series at least) justified it. Jean was shown repeatedly as someone who's nice and compassionate to every one regardless of social status. Or in other words, if she met the weird new kid, she'd introduce herself and offer to show them around and introduce them to her friends, not be a total bitch.

*Yeah, I know the same goes for popular boys, but I mostly see this trope applied to female characters, so I talked mostly about that. Sorry if I offended anyone.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
One thing I don't mind, though, is when a girl is (to most people) plain or on the low end of pretty but the hero thinks that she's beautiful. ;) I constantly see this trope in real life--and besides, it's cute.

Agreed! In general I'd like more nods to the fact that beauty is subjective...

I'd like to see more non-hetero love triangles. More representation of underrepresented groups in general, really, but queer kids in love triangles is such an untapped well. Breathe new life into that trope!!

Okay, this sounds weird, coming from someone who spent high school as a bullied outcast, but can we have people who are pretty and popular who aren't total bitches? Believe it or not, some people don't become popular because they're cutthroat and good at stabbing people in the back; some pretty popular girls* are genuinely nice people who have great people skills/charisma. Having great people skills/charisma isn't necessarily a bad thing. .

In my school, the pretty and popular people were all genuinely nice. (And no, before anyone asks, I wasn't one of them. ;))

Last edited:

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Unusual conflicts instead of the stereotypical ones.

A character trying to be late to class because they don't want to talk to a certain classmate.
A character bullying someone and getting away with it because no one thinks a nerd would bully a popular girl.
A character desperately trying to make friends instead of informing the reader about their loneliness as a beautiful blonde misfit. (Or alternately, circumstances that show that the character actually is an outcast and misfit.)

Stuff like that.

Agreed. I would really like to see these.

Julia Joy

Registered
Reaction score

I'm also tired of the female first-person narrator who does nothing but resent and judge her female friends in her internal monologue. I'd so much rather read about women who genuinely like each other.