• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where do you feel inspired to write

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but searching the forums didn't yield many results.

I'm trying to find new inspiring locations to write. I'm a student so I have my set academic writing spaces and find it hard to write creatively there. I'm debating rotating through my favourite local cafes, but wanted to hear from you guys. So, where do you feel most inspired to write? Do you background noise or complete silence? Do you take a laptop/device or use pen and paper?

Thanks! Hope 2015 is turning out to be a good writing year :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find that my routine inspires me to write. I think that's more important than what the routine actually consists of. My mind seems to have made a connection between the usual set up and "time to write!" automatically. It's not much different from how at a certain time of the day, the table's set and food in the oven, I'm hungry or after I've brushed my teeth and put on my jammies, I'm tired.

For me, late at night, on the sofa, coffee, a lit candle, music (the same song over and over, a different one for each story), and of course nails polished and rings on (I don't know why, maybe it's a lucky charm like the Bingo ladies bring along or just that seeing my spiffy hands fly over the keyboards keeps me focused). I also have my hand weights and cleaning stuff so I can go back and forth between writing and short breaks where I get up and move and do something physical (and also maybe get encouragement from those little achievements, who knows).

That said, sometimes a whole different set up adds new energy too. But my routine is the staple.

Last edited:

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
The setting has never helped me. As far as what I use to write, I've long been in love with the idea of handwriting with pen and paper but that tires out much too quickly no matter if I use handwriting or print. Comfort has proven to be the best catalyst to get me to write so I use a desktop computer since the keyboard is larges and most comfortable for me. I will use a tablet or smartphone if the urge strikes me and I just have to write something, but I prefer the computer with a nice big and comfortable keyboard.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I wrote 90% of my first book at my day job! At first it was bits here and there on post-its, then I used wordpad on a junky computer to type up paragraphs and store them in the depths of the machine's hard drive so no one would find them. At the end of the day I would save them to a usb and bring them home for editing.

For some reason, I get my best ideas at the most inconvenient times...

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Strangely, my classroom. I like to write before the kids come in in the morning and after school when they leave. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write in several locations, be it in my office, in the park, at the library, out in the woods, or at a local redneck bar. I will sometimes let the location influence what I'm writing. Particularly when I'm at the bar, but I think "inspiration" should be a dirty word to a writer. When you start relying on inspiration, especially from any outside source, you're setting yourself up for failure.

What "inspires" me to write is sitting down and writing, wherever I am. I don't write at any of these locations for inspiration. I write in the park because some days I have grandchildren playing there. I write at the library because I need to do research, or because I'm attending some function, and kill two birds. I write out in the woods because I love being out in the woods. I write at the local redneck bar because I have a lot of friends who go there, and I can shoot a game of pool, grab a burger and a beer, and spend some time writing, and some time socializing.

Once I start writing, I don't pay any attention to where I am. I go in a zone, everything around me vanishes until I take a break and come back into the real world.

If I depended on any location to write, I'd get very little writing done.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really get inspired to write. I just write. I usually write at home or in various coffee shops. Occasionally I get ticked off at coffee shops when someone is having a loud conversation right beside me, but I like having some background noise or quiet music. In the summer I write on the balcony, or occasionally I sit on a bench in a nearby garden.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I usually write reclined on the sofa with my laptop on my lap. When I was in college, I wrote in my dorm room, the library, and the student union. As long as I can keep out distractions, I can write just about anywhere.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
There's a saying about inspiration, which is that the muse finds you at work. That is, the muse only shows up after you sit down to write. That being said, I do find having a routine helps condition my muse to come around. So I'd say design a routine you can keep up and that will help.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Where: anywhere. Well, almost anywhere (shark infested waters strikes me as somewhere I wouldn't want to be). Background noise: okay so long as it's not too distracting. Music: can write with or without music but I do have a writing playlist. What on: laptop, but if forcibly separated from electronic technology I'd write on paper. (If forcibly separated from all technology, I'd find birch bark and figure out a way to make something that'll write on it.)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I write outside when I can. I'm looking at mountains right now, and I'm in a big city. Every day around this time a flock of feral parrots circles in. These are startlingly loud birds! But there is little about nature that isn't beautiful to me. Escaped/released parrots count. Sadly, I won't have this for long.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I can write anywhere and tend to do most of it at home. However, I enjoy it more when I'm out among people, whether its Starbucks, Barnes & Noble or the beach.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I write in the office corner of my little bedroom, sometimes on my back-porch (depending on the weather) and at the coffeeshop where I take my lunch-break. My primary place for hacking out my WIP is at my desk, in my little bedroom. (Gets cold in the winter, so I put a blanket over my legs and a hot-water bottle at my feet.)

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I write anywhere and everywhere because I need to write. When it comes to that sort of thing, I get into the habit of writing wherever I can because I never want to feel hindered by factors I cannot control. Hell, I'll write on the toilet if I need to.

There is no preferable place, nor is there a place of inspiration. So long as no one bugs me and I'm not distracted I could care less where I'm at. The only exception are places where my writing might seem rude, like a funeral...

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I like to write at a coffee shop. I just seem to get more done and yes, I feel more inspired. I also like libraries, being surrounded by so may books can be very inspiring, and it's often nice and quiet (but I miss having coffee!). I do have a desk at home where I write as well, and it works, but it is the place I have the most trouble focusing.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
I write at home, on my laptop. Occasionally I listen to music, but usually I prefer not to.
My location doesn't really inspire me to sit down and do the actual writing itself, but some places have inspired ideas for stories. Visiting new places or going on long car trips puts me in a creative mood :)

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I can and do write anywhere, but I'm most at home in the window seat at a coffee shop with a good bit of space to do my work and have access to all my essentials.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
The bathtub. It's pretty hard to write there, and maybe that's the point. Instead of writing down the first thing that comes into my head, I roll around a few takes on it.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
At home. It never feels comfortable anywhere else. When I have moved home it has always taken weeks for me to get comfortable. And as I write HF if I was writing in a coffee shop or library, I just know that I would end up needing one of my books that is at home.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I like to mix it up. My office, the living room sofa, in the bedroom, in a local cafe. One spot will be ideal for a time, and then I find I can't concentrate there any more so I find a different place.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I frequently find I can't focus at home. So, at work, but not because I feel particularly inspired there. Merely because that's where I often have downtime and decide to show up to the page. That's really the biggest obstacle. Once I'm there, it doesn't matter where I'm physically sitting.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
I mostly go to the coffee shop down the street from me. I wouldn't normally like public places, but at the coffee shop, with all the noise and people talking amongst themselves, I feel the most by myself. Plus, it gets me out of the house because I know if I wrote all of my stuff here, I would never leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.