Bonjour Mes Amis

RoseWater

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 20 something odd writer. Self published mostly. I have written one book on law enforcement and even one on English lit. [essay writing].

I want to try my hand at fiction now.

I am looking to get some feedback on my writing as I feel I add too much detail. Most of the new books I see around are at the local library and Coles are mostly big in dialogue and small in character / plot details...

Some more tidbits.

My spirit animal is a cougar because as a 16 year old I happened to see a cougar sitting beneath a tree just outside the house for close to 30 minutes and despite asking three [of the six present] different people no one ever saw this feline. He was sitting on the edge of the forest that backed onto the strata [condo], just on the other side of the old fence. We were close enough to nature - the town over it wasn't unusual to see bears just across the highway, and the local campsite the year before had been torn up by a grizzly - but I knew this was my real spirit guide.

I am part aboriginal through my mother's side of the family.

I prefer the old writers over what is nowadays. Anything pre 1990 is my preferred read.

I am just as picky about movies - Les Miserable was the last one I have bothered wasting money renting. I stopped going to theatres years ago; I pay for the flick not to listen to simpletons talk on their phones or screaming brats.

I am ex-military - got tossed because of a medical issue [physical not mental thanks]. Their loss seeing as I have taken to competitive shooting and my accuracy is 95% shotgun, 98% pistol, and so forth.

Last edited:

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Rose! Pleasure to have you here!

Tip: Go to theaters a month into the film's run - far less people.

Hope you find what you're looking for at AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What sort of fiction are you interested in writing?

Some tips from a former business writer turned fiction author:

*Remove the word "that" from your writing unless you're pointing at "that tree". Why? Because it's not how people talk or think. Example: "I think that I'll go to the store now." Preferred: "I think I'll go to the store now."

*Don't write grammatically correct English in dialogue or narrative unless the particular character is fussy about language. Remember you're not you, the author, when writing fiction. You're you, the character, telling their story.

*Try to focus on the unique elements of anything you describe, rather than giving a list. Example: suppose you're describing a dingy, smelly alley the character is walking down. Most people know what an alley looks like, so describing the width or buildings surrounding have no meaning for plot advancement or character development. What does? Emotions or memories rising from the setting. The stink of old urine reminding the character of visiting a relative in a nursing home; Seeing a perfectly good couch next to a dumpster and wondering how it got there; hearing a scream or even a child laughing. Etc., etc. The out of place or unique.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your conversion to fiction and welcome to AW!

Last edited:

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!