The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Tree Press

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

Oak Tree Press

Anyone know anything about them? I can't find much.

Thanks
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    I thought i heard somewhere that they are not reputable, but I'll have to do some more reserarch.

Thanks
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Baywitch,

This is from Preditors & Editors:

Oak Tree Press: a book publisher. 10/13/02: This market has been reported as unresponsive. Not recommended.

Oak Tree Press: a book publisher formerly in California. Strongly not recommended. Contact at: 2743 S. Veterans Parkway #135
    Springfield, IL 62704-6402

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Oak Tree Press is the subject of this warning on Writer Beware.

- Victoria

Thank You!
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Exclamation

FYI - This publisher has received "two thumbs down" from Writer Beware:

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/0...er-beware.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Interesting. I came across a post on another board, just posted there today, where the gentleman spoke about meeting Ms. Johnson at the PSWA conference in Vegas last weekend. He thinks she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Of course, I came here to check and see what OTP is about. It's a shame because the poster is a PA author and anything I would say would be a waste of time or considered as 'bashing' on that board. Some people just never learn.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    PSWA in this context stands for Public Safety Writers Association. (Not the Puget Sound Welsh Association.)

What can you do? Put up the link to Writer Beware and hope for the best.

Or ask the standard questions: Have you ever seen any of their books in a bookstore? Have you ever read any of their books? Have any of your friends ever read any of their books?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Please note that the Oak Tree Press of Springfield, IL MUST NOT BE CONFUSED with Oak Tree Press of Cork, Ireland.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rllgthunder View Post
    the gentleman spoke about meeting Ms. Johnson <snip> thinks she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.<snip> the poster is a PA author.
    If this Johnson is associated with the Oak Tree of Springfield, IL, then I would think that the PA author has been taken in yet again.

Con artists can be extremely charming and throw out an easy "trust me" vibe while validating the ego-starved. That's how they do their job so well. They seem to have an instinct for finding prey, too.

It's like a lapdance, so long as the mark has money, the dance and the "you're-so-sexy" smile goes on and on.
    Last edited by Gillhoughly; 04-26-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillhoughly View Post
    If this Johnson is associated with the Oak Tree of Springfield, IL, then I would think that the PA author has been taken in yet again.

Con artists can be extremely charming and throw out an easy "trust me" vibe while validating the ego-starved. That's how they do their job so well. They seem to have an instinct for finding prey, too.

It's like a lapdance, so long as the mark has money, the dance and the "you're-so-sexy" smile goes on and on.
    You mean they dont actually...care?

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    PSWA in this context stands for Public Safety Writers Association. (Not the Puget Sound Welsh Association.)

What can you do? Put up the link to Writer Beware and hope for the best.

Or ask the standard questions: Have you ever seen any of their books in a bookstore? Have you ever read any of their books? Have any of your friends ever read any of their books?
    Shoot! I'm a good candidate for the Puget Sound Welsh Association. If I lived in the Puget Sound area, anyway . . . it's probably too far from Oklahoma City . . . Cyfrgolli!

Regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

practical experience, FTW Glenda's Avatar

Oak Tree Books

Does anybody know anything about http://oaktreebooks.com/? I searched and nothing came up. Thanks,
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

I have my own Space, feel free to
    Be My Friend

Absolutely Fazed
    It's under Oak Tree Press.

Two Thumbs Down warning
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 02-02-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: threads merged, link moot

Absolutely Fazed
    Unless this is the one you mean: http://www.oaktreepress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
    It's under Oak Tree Press
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30148

Two Thumbs Down warning
    Sorry, I did a search and nothing came up. Thanks for the help.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
    Unless this is the one you mean: http://www.oaktreepress.com/
    Yes that is the one.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

Be My Friend

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question Oak Tree Press

Here's a puzzler: Bennett & West Literary Agency (supposedly a legitimate firm and not a scammer) recommends Oak Tree Press (URL: www.oaktreebooks.com); however, both Preditors & Editors and I think Absolute Write Water Cooler Bewares have said "NO! Run away!". Does anyone know anything (authors only please) about this publisher? Their web site so far has not thrown up any red flags.
    VR

Question Oak Tree Press

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Oak Tree Press is the subject of this warning on Writer Beware.

- Victoria
    Victoria, on the OTP web site, they make a huge point of separating themselves from that "other" firm, and swear they do not charge, publish within 18 months, but keep the rights to a manuscript in perpetuity. Is that legal?

I'm just trying to find out why Bennett & West would recommend them if they are so evil?
    V

Pens, I merged your question with the existing thread on Oak Tree Books; hopefully the posts above will answer your question.

Bennett and West is the subject of a thread here. It has placed a number of its clients with questionable or fee-based publishers.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by pensinparadise View Post
    Victoria, on the OTP web site, they make a huge point of separating themselves from that "other" firm, and swear they do not charge, publish within 18 months, but keep the rights to a manuscript in perpetuity. Is that legal?

I'm just trying to find out why Bennett & West would recommend them if they are so evil?
    Because Bennett & West are clueless. Have a look at the B&W thread for more detailed information.

I haven't seen an Oak Tree Press contract in a long time, so I can't comment on the terms. They may mean that they have a life of copyright contract--which is common with publishing contracts, but it needs to be balanced by a good reversion clause. Or they may mean that they keep rights for 10 years or 20 years or some other specific term.

Check this Alert at Writer Beware to see the kinds of complaints we've received. In addition, OTP seems to have very limited ability to market and distribute its books.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin ladybugger's Avatar
    I realize this might be old news, but Oak Tree Press is offering to carry author's titles on the Kindle, but not publish it as a paper or hardback book. I looked online and a handful of their titles are available in the Kindle. Their offer is to give the author $1.04 of the profit, and they would retain the rights to the title in Kindle format. Call me paranoid, but this seems questionable.

Thanks,
    ladybugger

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating link for Writer Beware! Alert on Oak Tree Press of Illinois, run by Billie Johnson (http://oaktreebooks.com/): http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writ...re/alerts/#Oak.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Dilemma!

Jess Orenduff's book THE POT THIEF WHO STUDIED EINSTEIN has been nominated for a Lefty under humorous crime novel . . . and it's out from Oak Tree Press of Illinois. I have been asked to submit to Oak Tree. Now, this is a mystery that has finaled in the St. Martin's contest twice, but was not ever chosen as a winner. Agents give the query a pass. So . . . should I try Oak Tree? If one of their books wins an award, won't that give them more prestige? Or am I just falling into the usual trap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast