• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Tan Tan Books

Queentait

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am new, I mean wet behind the ears new, so I hope I do this right. I wanted to know if anyone out there knows anything about a fairly new (I think) publisher called TanTan Books? I am thinking of submitting my book to them for publishing, but as I said, I am really new and don't want to make a big mistake first time out. When I queried them they responded very nicely and said they would like to see my MS after Jan 1 this year. Does anyone know anything about this publisher? Any information will be appreciated. THANKS!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Link: Tan Tan Books

Looks to be a self-publisher trying to turn trade publisher. The website is an amateurish mess.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Why would you want to submit to them when they put this on their submissions page?
Ability to self promote would also be useful. Profits will be minuscule, sales even smaller and for 2015 only one writer will be selected. SO WHATS STOPPING YOU?.

At least it's honest.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queentait, a belated welcome to you.

Your profile says you write Fannie-Flagg-type women's fiction. (Yay!) I'd suggest you seek out publishers who have a track record of succeeding with that type of fiction. Or, perhaps, try querying literary agents such as Jenny Bent who represent that type of fiction.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Queentait!

Kudos to you for checking things out BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING! Look around the threads here, ask some questions, and you will be much better prepared to approach the right publisher.

What Helix pointed out above is almost boiler-plate text for the "getting your name out there" approach. Before I knew any better, I thought publishing worked by publishing your first book with anyone you could, and it being read by maybe a couple hundred people. Then those hundred people and a few hundred more read your second one, then by the third you've got sales in the thousands. It only rarely works that way, especially with small vanity publishers, or even non-vanity publishers who expect you to do all your own promoting. I have two books, one vanity (I didn't know any better at the time) and one with a non-vanity but that expects you to do all the promoting. The first book sold 13 copies (ten to myself), the second sold about 20. I'm willing to bet the 20 buyers were not return customers from the first book.

Some people do really well with the self-promotion and marketing of their books, but most do not. I have no idea what your talents are, but based on how Tan Tan looks you will have an uphill climb at best. Your book probably deserves better.

Queentait

Registered
Reaction score
New writer, asking about publisher TanTan

Thanks to you all for your very good answers and advice. First, I considered TanTan because I got their name from a newsletter I get from Brian Grove, seen here:

"Thursday 14th August 2014
Dear Sue,
I've got a bit of news for you...
Rorie Smith of UK based Tan Tan Books contacted me recently. He is setting up a publishing imprint, and is taking on new authors for 2015. His list is eclectic. Take a look at it to see if your manuscript might fit. There is an online contact/submissions form. http://www.tantanbooks.co.uk/"

I never would have known to ask if not for Brian's newsletter.

As I mentioned I am brand new, a new writer as well as a new member here and I will appreciate any advice I can get from folks who are willing to take the time to write to me. I aspire to write like Fannie Flagg/Erma Bombeck, sort of Hen Lit genre, a "Life in the Gray Lane" type story. I appreciate any and all suggestions anyone would like to offer, and I Thank You All in advance...
It is so nice to hear from people who know so much more than I do (That might not be saying much, I am so new to this!)...

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I think trying to place your book with agents first would be a fine idea. Women's fiction is So Very Hot Right Now.

Try Querytracker.com for a list of agents. The site can be tricky to navcagate at first, but it's free for your first project and so very worth it!

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This Brian Grove, I presume?
And this newsletter, I presume?

I own a website which contains an unrivalied database of book publishers who are currntly accepting submissions from authors. It isn’t just a general publishers list. Each link leads directly to the submissions page. I have around 1,000 publishes worldwide covering all genres.

The site is completely fre. It doesn’t contain any self-publishing links or vanity companies. It’s a genuinely open resource. Perhaps you would consider offering this information to other writers?

This could either be in the form of a link on your site (which I would reciprocate if you wish), or by simply forwarding my URL in a newsletter or at a meeting. As a published author myself I know I would have appreciated a resource like this when I was looking for my first book deal.

Please have a look at my site (http://myperfectpitch.com/book-publishers-accepting-submissions), you can then get back to me there. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian Grove
Taken from THE WRITE WORD, the newsletter of The Society of Southwestern Authors Vol. 41. No. 3 June-July 2012
He's published with Little, Brown (very respectable!) -- a NF text about ten years ago.

The text above doesn't impress me with his writing/proofreading skills. But, setting that aside, it looks like he's trying to generate traffic to his website (and to buy his how-to-get-published book) by creating an enormous database of unvetted publishers.

Queentait

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you Treehouseman.
I have thought about the advantages of having an agent as opposed to approaching publishers myself, and because I didn't know any agents I sent queries out myself. got rejections but very nice ones and all were helpful, some included specific advice and offers to me to re-submit. I am thinking that I may be better off with an agent who is knowledgeable where I am Not, and may decide to try that now. I appreciate your advice, it makes sense to me to go that way.
THANKS!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate any and all suggestions anyone would like to offer, and I Thank You All in advance...
As others have noted, women's fiction is popular right now, so you're not trying to sell something unmarketable.

If you want to publish with a "big" publisher, such as Random House, you'll need a literary agent. To get a literary agent is not easy: you need an excellent manuscript, and you also have to send them a query letter that is good enough to interest them in asking for a copy of that manuscript. Be aware that literary agents generally agree to represent maybe one out of every thousand authors who query them.

If you want to publish with a small/independent press, you may not need a literary agent. Many small presses will accept submissions directly from the author. You will probably need a synopsis to send in with your submission. Be aware that good, respectable small presses contract publication with maybe one out of every hundred authors who submit to them.

(Edit:Big publisher = on average two to three years to publication, and advance payment on royalties of $2500 - $10,000; small press = on average six months to two years to publication, and advance payment on royalties of $0 - $500)

Absolute Write has a password-protected workshop (Share Your Work) section where you can participate and offer critiques on other authors' stories and query letters, and once you've got 50 posts here, you can post your own work and ask for critiques in return.

Last edited:

Queentait

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Unimportant, this is the newsletter and the author I named. I realize he wants to sell his guide, and that's OK, but since I didn't know where to start with this I thought this would be as good a place as any. (his newsletter, I mean)... So thanks for the insight. MUCH APPRECIATED~~~!

And P S: Thanks for the rest of the info, small press as opposed to "big" publisher, And I will keep in mind the chance to post my own work here and Absolute Write. That will probably be the most helpful thing I could do.

Just Joined a couple days ago, and y'all have already given me more help than I've gotten from any other one source.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
A few other things you could do before submitting to a publisher:

1. Check them out on Preditors and Editors

2. Read one or more of their books. Do you like the covers? The editing? Was the book reasonably priced? That's how your book will be treated too, if you sign with them.

3. Contact one or more of their authors. Pick an author who's been with them for some time, so you don't get someone in the honeymoon phase. Don't ask if the authors are happy or successful, because some authors define success as "selling even one copy of my book". Instead, you could ask how many rounds of editing there were, which publications advance review copies are sent to, what level of sales can be expected, and so on.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, yes, Marian makes a very good point. Look at a publisher's books. Would you want yours in their company?

Similarly: Who is publishing the books you have recently bought and enjoyed (in your genre)? Put those publishers at the top of your list to research.

Edit to add: If you are getting personal feedback from agents, you're doing very well indeed!

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're getting revise and resubmit requests and personalized feedback, you've definitely got something an agent will be interested in. Keep on trying! 100 rejections is not uncommon in this business.

Oh, and I didn't mean to talk trash about small publishers. There are some awesome ones out there. I was just cautioning you to not fall into the "any publisher will do" trap "to get your name out there" and fall for a scam like I did.

aperson

Registered
Reaction score
Queentait: Query agent is the best resource I have read outside of this community. If you join (free) they give extra resources.

Marian, I didn't know a person could do #3. It just never crossed my mind. Thank you.

I did write Lee Child once because I have a crush on Reacher.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Some other things you can do:

1) Check out their books' sales rank on Amazon. It's by far not a foolproof metric, but any book that has an Amazon ranking of more than a million has probably sold less than a dozen copies on Amazon since publication. See how many books have good Amazon rankings (four figures or less) versus bad (over a million). If a publisher has too many books in the bad column, it might be a sign they cannot market their books very well.

You can check this directly through Amazon, or you can use the service at www.salesrankexpress.com. Not very accurate for strongly-selling books, but scarily so for anything moving only a few copies a year.

Amazon is not the only platform, but it is a huge one. A book not selling well there just might not be selling very well elsewhere. Case in point: any book on Barnes & Noble that does not appear to have a sales rank, probably has not had a sale during that quarter. B & N keeps changing their own rank algorithms, but generally, one sale a quarter is enough to generate a 'rank'.

2) If the publisher claims it is selling books through its own website, you can check how popular it is on the Internet by typing their website address into the search bar at www.alexa.com. This analytics service can estimate both global and US popularity for a site. Again, the higher the number, the fewer people visited.

3) Stalk the pub's current authors' social media sites and look for key phrases indicating they are hand-selling books, or they have to do all the marketing, or are complaining about low/no sales.

To add to what other posters have said: if you are getting personal rejections and feedback, you may have something strong enough to publish with someone who will actually offer decent editing, book design, and covers, as well as selling copies of your book. You are far closer than many people ever get.

So kudos and good luck!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Marian, I didn't know a person could do #3. It just never crossed my mind. Thank you.

No problem. Just be sure to ask the right questions. One of our valued AW members once signed with PublishAmerica because she spoke to two PA authors beforehand, and they both gave glowing recommendations. They may still have been in the honeymoon stage, but also, at the time neither she nor they knew what to expect from a publisher in terms of editing, copyediting, cover art, advances, royalties, marketing, etc.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Every book they've released is by the owner, all with the same dull cover and poorly written blurb. The blog has more entries about the owner's donkey than about writing and publishing.

Queentait, is there any reason you queried them other than because they call themselves a publisher?

I sort of wish this sentence didn't make me want to find the blog in question as much as it does.

Also, if that's not a recommendation, I dunno what is!

Queent - take it slowly. Peruse threads and stickies and talk to people here before you take any more action. You want to glean as much information as you can before making your next move, and then take the steps involved there carefully.

There are a variety of choices available to authors, from self-publishing to trying trade publishing with a big house; what's right for you is individual, but the only way to know is to be as informed as possible about what each choice entails, good and bad, step by step.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity after '15.