The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: CoolDudes Publishing

Insufferable Know-It-All TuckerMcCallahan's Avatar

Question CoolDudes Publishing

This publishing house has supposedly just launched though the website claims they've been "around" since 2009. I'm not sure what they've been doing for six years, since as far as I can tell there are only two books for sale on their site. Does anyone have more info about these people or what this company is about? Are they actually a publisher or are they a co-op? The website left me confused on many details, but that could be because they're based out of South Africa and I'm American.

Curious...

Tux

Link?
    She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Outside the box, with the bunnehz KimJo's Avatar
    Bumping this in light of a discussion of the company on Facebook. I've given the link to this thread to the owner of CoolDudes, and hope he will chime in here to give people a better idea of who's behind this company.
    as Jo Ramsey:
    My YA site
    My YA library
    COMING SOON:
    Midnight Chat, Harmony Ink, February 2017
    Dolphins in the Mud, Harmony Ink, August 2017

practical experience, FTW S.C. Wynne's Avatar
    Hmmm didn't Noble or Silver's owner run off to Africa? I might have that all screwed up.

Silver Publishing's owner ran off to South Africa, from what I hear. Cool Dudes is a completely different company. I'd love to hear from them.

Here's the thing: AW regularly gets bashed for being nasty to new writers, agents, publishers, etc. In six years of reading here, I'd have to say that we tend to be cautious. It's merited. I've been astonished by the number of authorial meltdowns, forensic dissection of shady/clueless publishers, and downward spirals witnessed on AW forums, especially this area.

But new pubs start, or old ones revive, and I'm always happy to see good ones flourish. Active analysis is simply a part of business.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    There's a little warning siren going off in the back of my mind:
    We want to tap into the M/M market and expand it using our affiliate editors, beta readers, reviewers and promotional staff. We don’t ask for a penny upfront, however, we do offer contracts and deduct a small percentage of 40% from your royalties for the services we offer.

Bear in mind that the retailer takes a cut as well. So the royalty figure will be whatever percent AFTER the retailer/distributor takes a cut.
    Can't find anything about these services they offer, though.

Oh. Wait. Here we go:
    We are an online website selling e-books. We have a graphic design studio and editing services. All for the Writer.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 01-21-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

They are an e-publisher but want a cut of my royalties for providing cover art and edits? No. Just no. That's part of the publisher's obligation.

Maryn, drawing a line through their name
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    That language is super muddled but I think they are saying they take 40% of net receipts (what is paid by Amazon, for example). Those who segue from self publishing often have the bad habit of calling net receipts "royalties".
    Emily Veinglory

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    Maryn, drawing a line through their name
    Same here. I was seriously considering them until I dug a little deeper; the little warning siren has bloomed into a full-blown klaxon and is giving me Excedrin Headache #96.
    Last edited by BenPanced; 01-22-2015 at 04:29 AM.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

New kid, be gentle!

Cool Dudes Publishing

Hi Folks

I am the CEE (owner) of CoolDudes Publishing. (CDP) My name is Louis J Harris. I take note of the concerns expressed here and allow me the chance to reply. Tucker may not be aware of it, but we are friends on another site. Okay, so here's the wrap:

CDP began as an idea in 2009, starting life as a mobile book dealer selling books at markets and fairs and outside supermarkets as Cooldudes Books. Since then, it has grown by leaps and bounds to who we are today. Now a publisher of m/m fiction. We offer professional services expected by today's authors. True, we are based in Germiston South Africa, we are fully transparent. Our staff are based all over the world. Naturally, an African publisher might upset the skeptics, but this is a free democratic country, and we want Africa to have a gay voice too. Anyone is free to join our online meetings as an observer.

At a meeting the other day with staff I suggested we change the royalty base from Net to list price royalties. Anyone is welcome to get a transcript of that meeting.

One thing I will say is that we treat each author as a human and not a contract number. CDP is run by humans for humans and the contract is totally negotiable within reason.

I see a comment here that we take royalties based on a cover the author has provided. The person who commented on this is totally wrong. We do not. We take our share of royalties, yes, it's the same with any other publisher.

You may contact me to ask any question.

louish6@gmail.com
    +27837849658
    Last edited by Louis Harris; 01-22-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Incorrect spelling

New kid, be gentle!

CoolDudes Publishing

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    That language is super muddled but I think they are saying they take 40% of net receipts (what is paid by Amazon, for example). Those who segue from self publishing often have the bad habit of calling net receipts "royalties".
    In fact just at the last company meeting I suggested we need to offer royalties from the Listed selling price and not nett. You are welcome to see that transcript.

Louis J Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Harris View Post
    Tucker may not be aware of it, but we are friends on another site.
    Tucker is aware that we're both members at Gay Authors.org, and that when you were acting as an agent for another writer, you approached me about publishing that author's book. I directed you to my publisher's submission guidelines. I'm concerned, and my little red warning light is going off, because in the last year you've represented yourself as an author, an agent, and now a publisher.

Mr. Harris did send me personal email which included the following statement regarding the history of the publishing company and why he chose to form it:

"I've branched into publishing on the internet and the Books side is now closed. I actually went into publishing to publish Dennis's book The Island, and thought, 'Ah well, I might as well take on other authors too.'"

I'll let that statement speak for itself.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Harris View Post
    In fact just at the last company meeting I suggested we need to offer royalties from the Listed selling price and not nett. You are welcome to see that transcript.

Louis J Harris
    I don't think you understood what I wrote. it has nothing to do with cover versus net which is an issue I am personally indifferent about so long as the net is of distributor fees only. People are upset you state you are taking part of the royalties. You are not in fact taking a share of "royalties" and misusing the term makes you look bad.

What you as the publisher pay the authors is royalties and no good publisher should claim and share of that amount (if you did the stated royalty rate would be made ambiguous as the author is not getting it all). What the distributor pays you is *not* royalties, it is receipts. The power of using right versus wrong terms is apparent in this thread.
    Last edited by veinglory; 01-26-2015 at 04:40 AM.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    I don't think you understood what I wrote. it has nothing to do with cover versus net which is an issue I am personally indifferent about so long as the net is of distributor fees only. People are upset you state you are taking part of the royalties. You are not in fact taking a share of "royalties" and misusing the term makes you look bad.

What you as the publisher pay the authors is royalties and no good publisher should claim and share of that amount (if you did the stated royalty rate would be made ambiguous as the author is not getting it all). What the distributor pays you is *not* royalties, it is receipts. The power of using right versus wrong terms is apparent in this thread.
    Thank you, Veinglory.

I'm not sure if the issue is one of language (since I don't know if English is Mr. Harris's first language or not) or if, as I suspect, the issue is lack of experience in publishing. But I would encourage anyone considering starting their own publishing company (or any writer thinking about submitting to a new publishing company) to read the excellent article posted here on AW entitled "Why Publishers Fail."

When selecting any publisher, in my opinion the best question to ask first is, "What can this publisher do for me that I cannot do for myself, and is it worth the price they're charging?"

Cheers,
    Tux

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    A publisher should not be charging the author any price to publish an authors work, period...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony