The Girl Stuff Thread

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
I wish I still got excited about make-up, but I have wrinkles and drier skin now (always pale) and it's become mostly utilitarian :( I don't mind the wrinkles in theory -- I think older women are still gorgeous. But I wish I knew how to do it well now that my skin has changed.

Oh, and creams still break me out like I'm a teen, so I'm trying to find some kind of nourishing moisturizer that never causes acne. That's tough to do, at least on a budget!

Surprisingly, I kept breaking out and breaking out until I gave up using "moisturizer" and just started using regular Aveeno lotion on my face. I don't know the big difference, but it doesn't feel heavy and I have very oily skin naturally but it doesn't make it more oily. Give it a try!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
oh God I think I belong in that other thread, with football and stuff.
*squares shoulders, attempts to spit without dribbling over self. fails.*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lost, I am so very lost.

There's not a girly girl thing about me. Not to say I haven't tried and failed miserably, and I'm not a tomboy either.

**Shuffles off to geek girl thread to inhale the nerd**

michelle-a-go-go

Needs more snark.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blissagogo.blogspot.com
I'm a football fanatic, I'm a Firefly fan-girl, and I wear straight-up vanilla extract as "perfume".

I smell wonderful.

Also, I got knee socks that say BEER on them for Christmas. They seriously rock.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to try the TCA peels which are now available for home use on the cheap and actually really do remove freckles and age spots (and even tattoos, if you get the high percentages). Careful though, you can definitely burn your skin, so start with a low acid percentage. Don't even get me started on pearls of all types.

Anyone interested? Tell your girly foo foo stuff here. Also, I could swear I write better when my nails are done.

Yes! Yay! What a fun thread!

First of all - TCA peels? Do tell. Have you tried them yet?

Second of all - I found the perfect lip color, and even a brand that stays on pretty much all day. I like the idea of it being my color.

I feel fat today, but it's my own fault. I drank too much (red wine) this weekend. I've been out of focus with my workouts lately as well. Time to get motivated!

Um...anyone else have really rough heels? I mean, mine are gross. But I'm really bad at finding anything to cure them because I just can't seem to remember to do anything daily except take my birth control pill. I'm doing okay with the face lotion routine, but...I'm a lazy girly girl.

ETA: I like trying new perfumes, my husband buys all my boots (and I have more than I can count in my head at the moment) and lots of jewelry (which I love), I love heels, on the weekends I'm all about no make-up and PJs unless we go out (which we rarely do), but during the week I'm all about mascara, my lipstick, and a tad bit of blush. I get my hair done every 6 weeks (I'm a natural yuck brown color, but I now have pretty much medium blond hair with blonder highlights and love it).

Despite all that, and even though it sounds like I'm high maintenance, I'm really not. I just have a husband who enjoys indulging me in my girly-ness. :D

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Alpha, thanks. No I haven't used the TCA but from my research I think it works. It's ordered but I won't be home for another month and I'll do it then. I might post before and after shots on my blog, I'm thinking of starting a "girly" section (for lack of a more efficient description). I've had a little lasering done (it definitely works) but never tried the peels because I thought they were more spa pampering than any lasting results. So happy to find something "real" that's only $30 a bottle rather than several hundred dollars per session. It's an acid though and probably with the same benefit and dangers as lasers so you have to be very careful, like start with a low percentage and do the test spot.

It seems they have more and more stuff (that has been proven to work in FDA clinical trials) for home use that used to be only by prescription or only doctor supervised.

I don't bother much with rough skin on my feet because sluffing off the hoof-ness makes my feet too tender to go barefoot outside. I live in a sub-tropical place and don't want to have to wear shoes all the time.

My perfume lately is Beyond Paradise (Estee Lauder). I also like J'Adore. They're both flowery, and pretty $ but a bottle lasts me a year or more. I tried vanilla and other cooking extracts but the ones I tried didn't last or carry unfortunately, because some of them smell wonderful and the price is definitely right. Michelle, what extract do you use, real vanilla or something else?

I'm lazy too. Gotta get highlights and get back on my exercise and diet routine. Blah.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not lazy with the exercise and diet. Usually. I actually have a trainer - on-line, but we've met in person - and she's great. It helps also to have my own home gym, pretty much. If we didn't have the space for the stuff I use, it would be a lot more difficult. I only work 5 minutes from home, and there's really no gym nearby. The only time a gym has worked for me is when there is one on my way home from work, and as long as I go right after work.

I'm lazy with the upkeep stuff - I'll get excited about doing my nails for a few weeks and then stop and neglect my cuticles again (they're horrible). I try really hard to remember to take my makeup off, but unless I workout and shower after work, I don't usually remember to wash my face. Body lotion...I'm often so cold coming out of the shower that I just want to get dry and dressed! I'm working on that as well as the nighttime face lotion routine.

It sounds exhausting, doesn't it? But I love being a girl. :)

I LOVE Beyond Paradise. That's been one of my favorite perfumes for years. My very favorite is probably Michael Kors. The Michael Kors scent. I also love Be Delicious, the original.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just back from the outlet mall (on vacation). Passed up half price Beyond Paradise and a half price Coach purse but got the Le Creuset pot. My recent house decluttering has made me not get as much stuff, even if it is on sale. :p

I like to jog or do workout tapes and hand weights at home. No gyms. I never stick with them, just hate those places for some reason. I count calories except when I'm on vacation like now or just too busy being a mess.

I do my potions at night after flossing- minoxidyl (I'd say it doubled my hair thickness until I got lazy for a couple of months and the extra fell out, dammit. It takes months to notice a difference, too. Also generic Retin-A (cheap from an internet Canadian pharmacy who gets it from India (manufactured by Johnson and Johnson there). And some scar cream from a cosmetic surgeon's office (SkinMedica). I pretty much just use the prescription or used-to-be prescription stuff that's been through the FDA clinical trials anymore. I'm old and need industrial strength help ha ha.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those who are interested, here are a few assorted websites. Feel free to add on!:

Makeup alley

http://www.makeupalley.com/

realself (cosmetic procedures)

http://www.realself.com/

Home remedies/treatments

http://www.thehealthsite.com/beauty/

This month (south Florida) I especially notice women who aren't just middle aged but even elderly and what I'd consider attractive. Wondering how much of it has to do with still being or not being interested in romance/sex or if it's just personal vanity, for lack of a better word, regardless. I don't want to disparage it because I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to keep up on yourself, exterior as well as the interior. The problem imo would just be if it crossed over into narcissism, like not getting it that it's not the most important thing.

A couple of things that stand out to me on that note is one big plus- "elegance"- rich or glamorous touches rather than tight clothes or showing skin, and the big no-no imo is "harshness"- Not sure if some of the ladies had dark hair in their youth or are trying to do the complete opposite of gray but very dark hair that doesn't match the skin stands out to me here, as well as too-dark cosmetics, which maybe also suited them in their younger years.

For the older (and elderly) men, in my opinion, strangely, facial hair makes some of them look like silver foxes. I have no idea why but it gives me an idea that they're a little transgressive. Oh yes, south Florida in January is a new perspective. :p

Also, does anyone have any good home workout DVDs?

P.S. I'm going back to the outlet mall today to get that half price Coach bag and perfume. Who was I trying to kid? :p DH says, get it honey, get it honey. LOL, I know he'll just pay any price to get to leave the mall. :)

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I do my potions at night after flossing- minoxidyl (I'd say it doubled my hair thickness until I got lazy for a couple of months and the extra fell out, dammit.

Okay...how do you thicken your hair??? My hair is so thin...and going back about 7 or 6 years ago now, I lost a lot of it due to stress from a painful divorce and, well, anorexia.

I'm good now with my eating and everything, but I'd love to have the thick hair I used to have. *sigh*

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out. As far as narcissism goes, IMO, I just don't think anything can "turn" into it. My ex was, I fully believe, a narcissistic. Like, clinical. It had more to do with...bending people to his own beliefs, manipulating people and situations...he was very emotionally manipulative.

I wonder, though, if there's a word for someone who does become obsessed with their looks...what I mean is, not just conceited. Something more along the lines of how anorexic is to eating. You know?

PS - Enjoy your Coach! My husband and daughter picked me out a gorgeous Guess bag and matching wallet for Christmas. Not quite Coach...but it's nicer than any of the Coach bags I do have. LOL But that's only because the Coach bags are ones I bought myself, and I was too cheap to buy the nicer, more expensive ones. :)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of things that stand out to me on that note is one big plus- "elegance"- rich or glamorous touches rather than tight clothes or showing skin, and the big no-no imo is "harshness"- Not sure if some of the ladies had dark hair in their youth or are trying to do the complete opposite of gray but very dark hair that doesn't match the skin stands out to me here, as well as too-dark cosmetics, which maybe also suited them in their younger years.
There is a lot of unfairness in society when it comes to women and aging. We're not really supposed to age, we're supposed to "fight it." But then, if we fight it "too hard" we're "failing to age gracefully" or we're "cougars" or "trying to compete with teenagers" or "in denial"-- in any case, too much effort is looked down on. On the other end of that spectrum it's called "letting yourself go" or "giving up" or "looking dated." Aging is a no-win, and that's a shame because it really shouldn't be.

My dad has this thing he says about women that I just hate. If he sees a woman who has some youthful aspects to her, such as having long, thick hair and a youthful style of dress, he calls it "the dead teenager look." He says "From a distance you think she's a teenager, but when you get up closer you see that she's old."

I mean, my gawd, how dare she not look her age from a distance? It's simply a crime to disappoint men who were hoping your were much younger, even though they too are old (because a young guy is nevah evah going to be fooled by a middle-aged woman with long hair and tight pants). /feminist ranting

As for hair dye, I've avoided it as hair my it grays, mainly because I don't want the maintenance hassle or the gray roots. I have 3 older sisters, and the one who doesn't dye her hair looks younger than the two who do. This is because she keeps herself fit and has never smoked. That's my path.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...how do you thicken your hair???
I want to know this too! Mine has been coming out by the handfuls for a while now. Fortunately I had a lot to start with, but I'm down by about a third.

I wonder, though, if there's a word for someone who does become obsessed with their looks...what I mean is, not just conceited.
Vanity. I think one can have a healthy level of vanity (the vanity that helps you avoid over indulgence or gets your butt out the door to exercising when you're not in the mood) and unhealthy vanity -- I think we've all seen examples of that on reality TV.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. I'm going back to the outlet mall today to get that half price Coach bag and perfume.
Go for it, Girl - I normally won't pay more than $50 for a purse, but I *treated* myself to an amazing Coach™ bag for my birthday a couple of months ago, and I absolutely LURVE it! :e2cloud9:

Vanity. I think one can have a healthy level of vanity - I think we've all seen examples of excess on reality TV.
I agree - Just watch any of the *Real Housewives* on TV. :Wha:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who said something about rough heels? I grew up in the Sonoran desert where calluses were needed, and man, I had 'em. I could stand barefoot on asphalt in summer.

Now I live where you need shoes because it's freaking' cold (17F as I write this) and I've learned the secret to smooth heels.

A foot file. It's just a plastic handle with some fine-grit sand or sandpaper stuck to it. (There's an electric one advertised late at night on TV, too.) I leave it where I'll see it, and file maybe twice a week while I'm watching TV. Yes, the dust in my house really is skin! (I usually do it over a newspaper or something.)

A punice stone. This is a foot file for the shower or bath. Once your feet have been wet for at least five minutes, the calluses soften and you can grind 'em away.

Body Butter. This is a thick creme, available in many scents (try the almond), which out-performs the best lotions on hard-to-keep-moisturized areas like heels, elbows, and knees. I do my feet and legs up past the knee with about two teaspoons, and it's good for at least twelve hours, more like sixteen. Sold at beauty stores and bath-and-body stores, it seems expensive, but where I live, it's GroupOn-ed three or four times a year.

Maryn, wondering if she's really shorter because of age or if it's just less callus

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maryn. Once this snow clears up, I'll go get that stuff. I already have body butter...but I never think to put it on my heels. LOL

Lavern - Yay for you and your Coach bag! You deserve to splurge once in awhile!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Maryn- Ha, I have hooves myself. They may just add a little height (lol, you crack me up).

Oh yeah, looks, and how women are treated, ugh. Whether you play or you don't, you still get it. I try not to even go there. :rant:

Maybe it's not how much of it you do (which also then starts to sound like more monitoring of women) but just attitude. Forex, say having a surrogate carry your child just so your tummy doesn't get stretched out, well to me that's an extreme of messed up priorities. Then again, what if you were a model and it would ruin your livelihood. Oh, who knows. I just please myself. Heh, that sounded dirty.

My usual highlights might actually make me look gray now. But I still like it better than mousey color, and I can be lazy about the roots when it's highlights rather than all-over.

My hair has thinned a lot since, say, high school. So then I read that most (?) women do have thinning with age the same as men but it's more all-over than patchy. Minoxidyl (I just get the generic and for male or female. I don't notice a difference) worked. It wasn't all the way back how it used to be but I noticed I could grow it longer without having the see-through look once it got past my ears, maybe twice as thick would be my guess. But you have to put it on twice a day for 4-6 months to notice. Then continue with once a day to keep it up. It's been out for years and I haven't heard of any big health problems with it so I think it's okay. And it's over-the-counter now, which is wonderful.

There's also some new-ish home laser thing for hair restoration. It costs a few hundred dollars and you use it twice a week. Some news channel did a before and after trial on both of those plus Propecia (prescription oral medicine) I think it's called, and the transplants. And now I can't find the damn thing... Anyway, transplants were the best but all three of the other things overall showed significant improvement too.

And now it is time to go get my goodies. :)

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not too much into nails or hair. I do my own nails and brows because I'd rather not spend money or leave the house for such things. I've done pedicures and manicures before, I just find them expensive and unnecessary. I've gotten really good with my brows and can give tweak the shape every once in awhile as they grow back super fast.

I enjoy makeup, but find it a huge time waster. And I much prefer clothing and accessories.

You can be really creative with the eyes, but I keep that for parties. It can take up to an hour to do and I enjoy it, but get bored if I have to do it more than a couple times a month. I can't keep lipstick on for more than hour for the life of me. I know there's protectants to make them last longer, but I'm too lazy to buy and don't care. I prefer lipgloss anyway, it's girly and lipstick can make lips seem smaller. If you do lipstick, I highly recommend a lip liner so the lips look smooth.

Daily, I wear sunscreen in some form, be it plain, with moisturizer, with a tint or a bb cream. I prefer the one with moisturizer, it can be the least pore-clogging. I also wear blush and eyeliner. Sometimes I add mascara to the mix, but it's such a pain to take off and some always remains in the lashes and creates black marks on my lower lids. If I could get away without daily makeup, I would. Unfortunately, I'm a little anemic and without a little blush and liner I end up looking super tired. I've always been a little jealous of the ladies with redder cheeks, although I realize sometimes it's rosacea, which drive people crazy.

I try not to buy makeup or skin care too often. I'm a huge believer in finishing type of product at a time. Time can diminish the effect or dry out the product. So I have a lot less makeup than many of my friends. I know for some, buying makeup can be addicting. A friend of mine is addicted to buy lipstick, often thinking she's getting a new color, when it's the same three shades over and over.

I'm currently trying this beauty box: http://www.ipsy.com/
Ten bucks a month and you get full-sized samples. I've already gotten one month and while I wasn't thrilled by everything I got, I was able to give most of it away. And hey, it's only ten bucks. I'll try it for a couple more months and I can cancel anytime.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
There is a lot of unfairness in society when it comes to women and aging. We're not really supposed to age, we're supposed to "fight it." But then, if we fight it "too hard" we're "failing to age gracefully" or we're "cougars" or "trying to compete with teenagers" or "in denial"-- in any case, too much effort is looked down on. On the other end of that spectrum it's called "letting yourself go" or "giving up" or "looking dated." Aging is a no-win, and that's a shame because it really shouldn't be.
Sad but true. I once saw a movie in which a character said: 'When a man grows old, he becomes distinguished. When a woman grows old, she's just old." Can't remember when, what or who, but that quote sure stayed with me.

Um...anyone else have really rough heels?
Runs in the family. We deal pretty much with it the way Maryn already said. Sometimes I treat my mom to a foot spa: A nice, hot footbath with some feet bathing salts. Then when they've soaked enough, use a pumice stone to grind the edges off. And finish with a nice coat of footcream, something with rosemary, lavender or pine usually does the trick. (My mom usually has six or eight feet rather than two at those times. There's something about footcream that temporarily turns her into Sleipnir...) The Bodyshop has some good footcream with peppermint. And I can also recommend Gehwol for their footcreams. Deutsche gründlichkeit, oh yeah!

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back from the outlet mall and getting highlights. Three hairdressers got into a fight in Spanish all around my chair. Something about bleach and limpia (cleaning?) The accents sounded Caribbean when they spoke English, but then they spoke Spanish to each other. On vacation, so wondering about the differences. I didn't ask any questions though. Best to escape notice in case they started throwing things.

So we got a bite to eat and I saw a man with the largest penis package in the world. Since I'm twelve, I had to be smacked with a menu and have my drink moved out of reach to stop snickering. It was, like, sideways under thin white pants. Not sure if objectifying a man for a change added to it or just wine. :p

Where were we? Oh, right. I don't wear makeup every day but when I do get it together like that even when I'm not going anywhere special, I'd say I feel better and get more done for some reason. I like lip stains because they stay on all day. Or with the liner, I cover the whole lips with it so the lipstick doesn't wear off first and leave you with that weird outline. Not sure if I'm going to get tatted on lip color or not. It supposedly hurts the most and often doesn't stay for long anyway. Anyone have it?

Last edited:

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
OK, totally NOT a girly-girl - never was, never will be. Completely LOW/NO maintenance chick. But when I need to feel pretty:

A good scent. Something like Anais Anais IF going floral. Or essential oils to feel sexy. I really like feeling sexy.

Matching bra/undies set. Doesn't matter the color. Doesn't need to match an outfit. But black is always nice. I'm not a pink girl. At. All.

Hair: I don't have enough grey to worry about coloring. But I go for full highlights. Love blonde with my natural caramel and mahogany hair. Hawt.

Nails: Natural always. But if I go for a manicure or gels, French tips all the way.

Hair prep/conditioning: Alternate baking soda and acv washes with Paul Mitchell washes. Afterward: Moroccan Oil. Best stuff ever.

Face and trouble areas: acv - but the natural stuff with "mother". Ladies, use this twice a day for a few months and it will take years off of your face. Seriously. Amazing stuff. You can add a T to warm water and sweeten it with honey or stevia for a warm glow, too.

Makeup: I normally go without. But if I feel I need it, mineral powders.

Oh, and the occasional Coach bag at the outlet store is a killer find.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ACV= (apple cider vinegar, for those who don't know). "Mother" is some kind of cloudy by-product of the fermentation so you know it's not overprocessed? Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that before.

Also, Ona, do you mean Moroccan Argan oil? If so, I like it because it's light enough that it doesn't grease your hair down. I forgot it and here I am on vacation with straw hair. I definitely miss it.

Last edited:

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Yep. Mother is the cloudy fermented gunk that actually makes it beneficial. You CAN get it in certain grocery stores, but make sure it says "unpasteurized". It may not say "mother". I always got mine at a health store, though, and that does use the "mother" term.

Moroccan Oil contains argan oil, but it might not be in the name. Argan oil itself is great, but I couldn't get it in Canada, so I used Moroccan oil that was sold at the hair salon. And I fell in love.