The Girl Stuff Thread

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To the runners, imo staying in physical shape is the best thing for looks anyway (and the hardest).

I'm not sure there's all that much correlation between who is gorgeous and who likes the girly girl stuff anyway? (no beauty queen here). Maybe just liking the personal indulgence of it or something, who knows.

With nails, I go back and forth between just painting and the at-home glue-on things. Those come off after about a week but you can extend the time by super-gluing the fall-offs back on. But yeah, depending on what you have to do with your hands, sometimes it's just not worth it.

I don't do the salon nails anymore because they tear the holy hell out of my nails to remove. I had a gel home kit with the lamp and it was extremely shiny and stayed on for two weeks (after the learning curve). But again, tearing the nails up to get it off and then having to let them recover for a couple of months ruins it. I second the Seche Vite top coat. You brush it on while the nails are still wet and somehow it doesn't smudge them, which I don't understand.

I plan to get permanent cosmetics (tattooed on) for eyeliner, brows, and maybe lips but it's a little pricey so not just yet. I love being able to do something once only and have it last forever (or thereabouts). Eyebrow bar first though, I want to get the brows just right first. Now there's a very realistic technique where they tattoo on one "hair" at a time. It's neat to look through their online photo books. Some of them even tattoo hair on bald heads and tattoo nipples on mastectomy survivors. Once at Walmart I saw an elderly lady with white brows and purple tattooing underneath though. I guess she and it faded. :/

I'm not that much into clothes, although my daily stuff is a bit upgraded from sneakers, sweatpants and t-shirts at least. Fine jewelry makes me drool.

Anybody brave enough to talk about lasers, Botox, fillers and surgeries? :p

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing more depressing than when your favourite bra's wires have broken the fabric and are now poking you in the boobs... takes weeks to wear in a good bra like that and after some body changes (a few extra ell bee's here and there) makes it even harder to find a comparable bra and then suffer the time of wearing that one in. Argh.

I'm not a makeup person.. even for acne. I come from an oily skinned/hair family so wearing cover up to cover up the acne, usually makes it worse. And we've all got deepset eyebrows so wearing eyeshadow/liner makes us look like raccoons. Mascara is pretty much the only thing I entertain.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Channy, when I put on 40 pounds in a year (my husband was gravely ill--valid excuse!) I bought department store bras which were, I thought, the best I could do. Which was not all that well. Just part of being fat, I figured. I ever went to a "fitting event" where the woman told me this was about all I could do. Sigh...

Years later, with a healthy husband and those same 40 pounds (no excuse!), I discovered bigger women can indeed get excellent bras that truly fit and lift us to splendidness. They're expensive, about $60 a pop, but I watch for sales and style close-outs. You probably have to go to a fancy lingerie shop for the first one, but after a fitting, I'd consider ordering the same brand online if it's cheaper.

Maryn, huge Elomi fan, pun intended

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Honestly, the thing I have the hardest time maintaining are my eyebrows because its either 10-15.00 for a wax (and I get tiny zit like bumps that last for 2 weeks) or I have to pluck through tears.

I used to break out from waxing, too. Sensitive skin. :Shrug: Then I discovered hard wax. Between that and some eyebrow prep beforehand, no longer an issue. I also used to stay all red from the wax for about 24 hours, but now it's down to about 3 and it's more pink than red.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a no fuss kinda gal....

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  • I do what makes me happy.
  • I color my hair because I like the way it looks and it makes me look and feel younger.
  • I do wear makeup because it makes me look better. If I had great skin, I wouldn't bother, but I don't.

I'm such a Girly-Girl, I couldn't be a Tomboy if somebody gave me a million dollars to try.

I agree with everything RhymeGirl said above, plus, I lurve to dress up with jewelry, hats, gloves and amazing boots and shoes!!!

I never leave the house without makeup and earrings.

Now that I'm done with mean-o-pause,
I absolutely lurve being a Girl. ;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Jewelry I cannot do. I love to look at it and I covet it when other people wear it, but I won't wear it. I have a weird thing where I can always feel it - the weight of it, the cold of it, the tap and rustle and dangle of it. I know that most people put on their stuff and can't really feel it after a few minutes, but I always can. It bugs me. Same with bras, but I do wear those.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's a little trick you might like: If you wear sunscreen or foundation or just moisturizer, whatever the last creamy stuff you put on your face is - dissolve a little Goody's Headache Powder into it. It's just aspirin and caffeine and I've found that topically applied, it encourages a glow and it's great for keeping your skin clear and even-toned. Love it.
Totally going to try this sometime.

Lessee here, when I was in my teen years I mastered the use of eyeliner (both liquid and regular, yay) and for several years, I would wear it daily. It was my one required make-up item whenever I left the house. Then I deployed to a very hot place and, well, yeah. Full face of make-up would melt off (gross!). So, I switched to eye shadow and some concealer and have been using those ever since. I only bother with mascara (it makes my eyelashes itch, does it do that for anyone else?) and eyeliner if I have a job interview or something fancy to go to.

I adore earrings; used to have four piercings in one ear and three in the other, but they all closed up when I went a couple months without earrings. So far I've been too much of a coward to get them re-pierced. :D

As for waxing eyebrows and all that, I don't recall agreeing to do such things. I'll shave my legs and arms (dark hair + pale arms = eek!), but my eyebrows shall be left alone. :tongue

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Channy, when I put on 40 pounds in a year (my husband was gravely ill--valid excuse!) I bought department store bras which were, I thought, the best I could do. Which was not all that well. Just part of being fat, I figured. I ever went to a "fitting event" where the woman told me this was about all I could do. Sigh...

Years later, with a healthy husband and those same 40 pounds (no excuse!), I discovered bigger women can indeed get excellent bras that truly fit and lift us to splendidness. They're expensive, about $60 a pop, but I watch for sales and style close-outs. You probably have to go to a fancy lingerie shop for the first one, but after a fitting, I'd consider ordering the same brand online if it's cheaper.

Maryn, huge Elomi fan, pun intended

Maryn, where I live (i.e. middle of nowhere) Wal-Mart bras are all I have to rely on. It's about a 4 hour drive to the nearest city with decent stores and actual lingerie shops, and maybe one day I'll go. That and I'm horribly disproportioned... some weird mishmash between hour glass and upside down pear... the circumference of my upper body doesn't equalize to the cup size (I should have). And whenever weight comes or goes, none of it goes to the boobs (so unfair). So I usually end up with one bra that stretches with me and fits until the wire punctures the fabric and then the boobs. :cry:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Half price Coach bags at the outlet store today and one in a lovely summer coral color. But not the right size/shape. Tomorrow is another outlet store to try again. They'll also have Le Creuset. A very dangerous mission, you see.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I had a 50$ bag from when I was travelling overseas, last me quite a few years and was very happy with it... then my boyfriend's mother took me to a mall in Calgary and Coach was having a massive sale and got a matching wallet/purse set for 350$ together... the most I'd spent on overly girly things... and the fabric isn't holding up as well.

Also, newsflash, been wearing the wrong bra all my life. Googled how to size a bra and it's totally different.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One girly thing I cannot handle is perfume. I can't even handle other people's perfume. It gives me a rip roaring headache instantly. Those department store wenches with their tester bottles may as well be waving a loaded gun at me.

I can do the teensiest mist of mild patchouli.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
In my accessories, I'm a basic black sort of gal. I admit that's laziness more than badassery.

I re-dyed my purse on Friday. I didn't test adequately how well the dye was sticking before I wore it out.

It gave me a black smudge right on the bone of my crotch (my coat protected my hip.) Yay for subliminal lady-bush painted on my pale jeans. :rant:

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
One girly thing I cannot handle is perfume. I can't even handle other people's perfume. It gives me a rip roaring headache instantly. Those department store wenches with their tester bottles may as well be waving a loaded gun at me.

I can do the teensiest mist of mild patchouli.

I don't mind it if its used modestly, but some of these people who bathe in the cheapest of cheap stanky stuff... yeah... just shower. No better smell than a person who DOESN'T smell.

That being said, I actually hate showering. I always have a pre-shower debate of whether or not I should do a 10 minute quickie (i.e.- hair, face, bodywash) or a full on 30 minute top to bottom (i.e.- hair, face, bodywash, sugar scrub the feet, shave legs/pits).

The quickie has won for the last 7 months. Thank god my leg hair is blonde and nearly translucent.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Would you people please stop trying to steal the few guys who have shown up in the boy thread?

Thank you for your attention.

Much appreciation.

Blurves,

Haggis, manchild

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Anyone interested? Tell your girly foo foo stuff here. Also, I could swear I write better when my nails are done.

I know I write better after a nice pedicure day at the spa with my bae.

And Coach... It ain't just for girls no mo.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Would you people please stop trying to steal the few guys who have shown up in the boy thread?

Thank you for your attention.

Much appreciation.

Blurves,

Haggis, manchild

The boy thread entrance was actually my oversight. I did not realize it was a retaliation thread, started by a disgruntled chee Huey Huey. My oops.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Retaliation? Absolutely not. I'm thrilled the wimminz have their thread to talk about whatever it is with makeup, body wash, pedicures, purses, shopping, and whatever else it is they do. I merely wanted a thread to talk about beer and ESPN. I didn't think they'd be interested. But they're welcome to join us. I suggest they bring a six pack.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Retaliation? Absolutely not. I'm thrilled the wimminz have their thread to talk about whatever it is with makeup, body wash, pedicures, purses, shopping, and whatever else it is they do. I merely wanted a thread to talk about beer and ESPN. I didn't think they'd be interested. But they're welcome to join us. I suggest they bring a six pack.

Bear as I can think, this ESPN of which you speak must stand for Every Single Pedicure Nurtures. That should be in the girl thread.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't have enough nail (hoof?) polish. :D One of the first things I did when we settled into our new house was to find a lovely box to put all my nail stuff in. I just can't get enough of it. I used to pick and bite my nails to mere stubs, so I never had pretty nails. Now I'm like, I GOT FRUIT ON MY NAILS LOOKIT EEETTT.

LaEU9xscwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Aside from that, makeup-wise, I loves mah lipstick. I have thalassamia, which makes my lips deathly pale, so a bit of lipstick is always good. :) Recently, I've gotten into eyebrows (Korean-style brows are big here in Indo), but that's mostly it. I've been blessed with relatively good skin and little to no dark eye circles, so no need for skin products just yet.

Something I can never get into is hair. I have no clue what to do with mine, so I tie it into an ugly little bun most of the time. :-/ I once had a curling iron, but all it did was gather dust because I feel like doing my hair just takes too much goddamned time.

Any tips for limp, slightly wavy hair??

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
There's a cool discount store near where I live that sells all kinds of things at good prices. Housewares, baby things, food, cosmetics, lighting fixtures, automotive, vitamins, etc. The other day I went in there to buy motor oil. So I picked up a couple quarts of Mobil One. Then I headed to the front of the store to pay for it. And on my way I stopped by the cosmetics department. I took a look-see and picked up a new shade of nail polish.

So then I go to the counter to pay for my stuff and I put the motor oil and the nail polish on the counter. And the cashier gives me this weird look, and says, "Nice combination." I hadn't really thought about what I had, lol.

Not to be used at the same time, though. You do the nails AFTER changing the oil. Not before.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I still got excited about make-up, but I have wrinkles and drier skin now (always pale) and it's become mostly utilitarian :( I don't mind the wrinkles in theory -- I think older women are still gorgeous. But I wish I knew how to do it well now that my skin has changed.

Oh, and creams still break me out like I'm a teen, so I'm trying to find some kind of nourishing moisturizer that never causes acne. That's tough to do, at least on a budget!