Third C.C. Finlay F&SF sub period open

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, been at 17 for weeks. Sometimes I wish we didn't know our queue number. I keep checking!

Yeah, it can be really addictive, and very tempting to keep checking. Maybe it's not totally the most productive advancement in publishing, at least for us. ;-)

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Update on Twitter--Finlay says he has received about 3600 stories so far, of which he has accepted 16, is still considering about 650, and rejected the rest.

The majority of stories that he bought are short stories because he inherited a bunch of longer stories from GVG, but that will change as he uses up the backlog and needs more longer stories. He says he is still buying 35K-40K words of fiction a month.

Doing the math, any given story has odds of about 1/250 of being accepted. He says he hopes to increase that to 1/70 or 1/80 once he finishes up the backlog of accepted stories he inherited from GVG.

As for the queue, he says that, if you're at a position under 50, then either you've cleared the first pass and he's waiting to reread you, or he's waiting to fill a spot in inventory. His goal is to get that down to under 25.

Last edited:

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
(Also, welcome DetectiveFork! What a great nick :) )

Thanks, zanzjan! It's an old comic strip character of mine.

I'm happy Finlay is so open about the submission process. My last story got rejected at 50, so that likely means it came up first turn in the cycle and got rejected.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Rutroh! Bottom of the queue has started creeping forward again. *braces for incoming R*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer, but I hope the advice was helpful. :( Good luck with it at the next place, CL!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
He's really motoring through them right now - I think I've dropped about 200 places in the last three days.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I got kicked to the curb. Good luck to the rest still in the game.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Form rejection at #149 in the queue. I only submitted 5 days ago (#705 on submission), so he's steamrollering through them all now. I haven't even finished the next short yet!

I sure wish Analog was able to keep pace, I'm at 4 weeks for my first submission to them and just subbed my second (within 5 mins of receiving my R from F&SF).

Last edited:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Does this thread still need to be open now the FandSF is open full stop? Threads on r's and a's can be added to braggage or rejectomany now, right?

Cilvercat

Registered
Reaction score
This thread made for very interesting reading. Is there any other thread for F&SF? I've just sent something a couple of days back, and am sitting at 41. Is there anybody else who has submitted?

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
All the time, but never accepted. Finlay moves quickly, even offers personal feedback at times.

Cilvercat

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I got kicked off the ship. It was so quick that it was brutal. But I think Finley does a lot right.