JanNoWriMo 2015!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So here we are on the cusp of not only a new month, but a new year! What are your goals for January 2015?

I fell woefully short of mine for December, but my show will close January 11th and I have a couple of months before the next one - so I'm pledging to get this darned first draft done while I'm unemployed!

Finish first draft of WIP: 104,582 out of ?????
Read two books: 0 out of 3
Write one blog post: 0 out of 2

I'm also hoping to get some winter birdwatching in. A Snowy Owl has been sighted in an area not far from me - a bird I've never seen for reals - and if it hasn't moved on by next week, I'm hoping to get a look at it. There are also a couple other unusual bird sightings within a 25 mile radius of me, so I may move farther afield if weather permits.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
- Write my short for the Secret Solstice Swap
- Edit H/V1 for a beta
- Finish betaing a friend's novel (I read it in 3 days, and abandoned it in the reread)
- Edit one short story and submit it

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Happy 2015 folks!

My goals are not crazy exciting, and for the second straight month, there might be no new writing done (which feels weird).

• Finish Beta in progress
  • Read other swap/beta
  • Gather notes from my betas and combine
  • Apply beta notes
  • Plot SNI
  • Go to remaining classes
  • Keep up with homework

I have a New Year's Resolution, though I suppose it's more of a 2015 goal. I want to query something. Two years ago, I'd never really edited, last year I'd never sent anything to beta... so, baby steps for me. This year, to query.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy 2015 folks!

I have a New Year's Resolution, though I suppose it's more of a 2015 goal. I want to query something. Two years ago, I'd never really edited, last year I'd never sent anything to beta... so, baby steps for me. This year, to query.

Go go go CoffeeBeans!

- Write my short for the Secret Solstice Swap

Yipes! Thanks for the reminder! A quick revision to my goals:

Finish first draft of WIP: 104,582 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 0 out of 1

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
I'll play:

Write 43,000 words to be divided between:
  • Rewrite of the first two chapters of Shyster & Shyster
  • Continuation of Bubbles first draft
  • Finish outline and start How to Cure a Lesbian (Yes, this is a comedy. I do not seriously think you can cure a sexual preference.)

Self-publish two out of print stories:
  • Gremlins and Bladerdash
  • High Heels and Bloodsuckers
Update new blog weekly
Finish beta read
Read and review Escape from Witchwood Hollow by Jordan Elizabeth Mierek
Set up a Good Reads account

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll actually accomplish my goals for this month:

1) Finish WIP #2
2) Finish beta.
3) Read 3 books
4) Upkeep new blog with a post daily.

Also going to try for an unofficial daily word count of 1,000.

Last edited:

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
I have the outline of a short I want to write and submit before the end of the month. Enjoying the last few days of holidays then I'll get cracking. Good luck everyone with your projects!

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could just flesh out my WIP, it has fantasy aspects and I'm having a hard time coming up with how that world works and what makes it worse is I feel like I'm so close to seeing the whole picture.

Freak'in annoying!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it for a few days now, and I've decided that I'm not going to make any of my usual goals this month. Instead, I have just one over-arching goal:

Be happy.

So to that end, whenever I find myself being especially happy (or unhappy), I'll jot down in here what it was I was doing, and give it a score out of 10. At the end of the month, I should have a better idea of what it is that actually makes me happy. (And I'll also be making notes about how long it lasts - fleeting, momentary, lasting, long-term, etc.)

So yes. It's kind of an unorthodox goal, but it feels right to me. :)

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's an awesome goal, Cliff. ^_^

I'm aiming to write every day. 100 words a day. I know that's kind of ridiculously low, but I'm hoping to work my way up to NaNoWriMo rates. Right now, starting from pretty much zero, developing a habit of writing every day seems more important than how much I manage to write.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Happy New Year everyone!

Here's my goals for this month, many of which are also from last month :tongue

• Plot L2 with the Snowflake Method
  • Plot L3 with the Snowflake Method
  • Critique all submissions to the group within the first week
  • Edit novella first chapter from feedback
  • Clean up novella second chapter and send to critique group
  • Revise make editorial changes to short story and send back

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I very briefly skimmed over my goals for last month but decided not to do an end of the month progress report because it seemed rather pointless after doing so little. :tongue I'll just say that I completed one of my DayZero goals AND I played video games. I was very excited about playing video games.

So, hey, this month stuff!

Goals for January:
*Stay caught up on school work (important!)
*Read 7 books (rereading Harry Potter... Hence the number...)
*Write at least 5k on something not school work-related
*Complete at least 5 DayZero goals
*Complete my necessary scholarship and study abroad applications (also important!)
*Play video games. At least once on a weekend during school time. Seriously. Games.

So right now I'm whining because my mom bought me this awesome rice cooker for Christmas and I just made rice and steamed vegetables with it, but even though they taste AWESOME I made twice as much as I wanted to eat! Gah! >.<

I also got a printer for my house so that way I won't have to leave at early hours to print my papers before class anymore. :D

I took out my eyebrow ring last Sunday because it's been rejecting for a while and I finally got to the point where I was concerned it was going to get ripped out of my face. I waited a couple days and then today I went back to my piercer to get it redone (slightly to the left of where I had it -- piercing through scar tissue is more painful and just rather stupid in general because it's SUPER weak and would likely reject far faster than my previous piercing). It's weird feeling so relieved to have it back. :tongue It's also really weird having such a long barbell in my eyebrow... I'm used to one that's almost twice as short because I had it downsized twice. I'm rambling. I guess I'm just a bit happy because this was the tenth piercing my piercer's given me and the shiny metal things on my face and in my ears are making me smile. I'll stop talking now.

Happy January!

~Amber~

Last edited:

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm jumping back in again this month. Here are my goals:
Finish and edit Witches for Hire
Get at least halfway through rough draft of YA novel
Work on synopses and queries

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
New year, new goals! Here are my January goals:

• Finish client edits (I have three I'm working on at the moment)
  • Submit my YA novella to at least one publisher
  • Finish first draft of Ghostslayer (35k/70k words at the moment)
  • Blog at least twice a week
  • Write at least ten reviews for on my review blog
Because January tends to be the busiest month of the year for me, I want to keep things simple for this month.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Write 43,000 words to be divided between:
Rewrite of the first two chapters of Shyster & Shyster
Continuation of Bubbles first draft - 1,400 words added this month
Finish outline and start How to Cure a Lesbian Completed outline

Self-publish two out of print stories:
Gremlins and Bladerdash
High Heels and Bloodsuckers

Update new blog weekly
Finish beta read finished current two chapters
Read and review Escape from Witchwood Hollow by Jordan Elizabeth Mierek Began reading
Set up a Good Reads account

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Read 5 books.
Write out a timeline for the first part of my novel.
Write ten journal entries for the month.
Add 5000 new words to my novel.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, happiness update:

I've been somewhat discontented with my current life for the past day and a half. I'll give that a -7, with a long-term time score.

Contrasting that, I've been watching Two And A Half Men season 11, which is reasonably good. I'll give that a +5, but only a short-term time score.

So yeah... I'm balancing out into negative territory so far. But I'm working on the discontentment. Or, at least, I'm thinking my way through the problem.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was supposed to have the morning and afternoon off and had high hopes of getting some real writing time in, but our leading lady called out sick and we had to have an emergency put-in rehearsal for her replacement before tonight's performance (and she did great). So not so much writing accomplished after all:

Finish first draft of WIP: 104,953 out of ?????

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've managed to dodge the various cast and crew illnesses that have affected my show throughout its run, but now, as we go into our final half-dozen performances, I've picked up a cold. Struggling through.

Meanwhile, on the JanNo goals front:

Finish first draft of WIP: 105,065 out of ?????
Read two books: .5 out of 3

I finished Dearie, the Julia Child biography that I started in December, so I'm only giving myself a half-point for that. I have to say I didn't care for it. The voice was gushy, much of the information repetitive, and most of the material seemed to be rehashed from other works (the acknowledgements and footnotes take up more than a third of the book). I've started 1913: The Year Before The Storm by Florian Illies and am liking it very much.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
3k between last night and this morning. I'm gonna work on one more scene of Witches for Hire then take a breather by working on something else for a while.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness update:

Looking for work is depressing. I'll give it a -6, with medium-term for a time score.

However, not having enough money to live the life I want is weighing down on me. I'll give that a -8, with a long-term time score (I've been poor a long time).

So overall... Looking for work isn't as bad as not having a job.

On the positive side... Once again, DVDs are scoring about +5, which helps somewhat, but is not enough to seriously improve my overall mood.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Head-cold notwithstanding, it was a pretty good writing day:

Finish first draft of WIP: 105,652 out of ?????
Read two books: .5 out of 3

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness update:

Bought a new guitar tuner that is more suited to my needs: +4, but long-term time score.

Didn't find anything in the store to spend my vouchers on: This is a tricky one. I'll give it -4 for not having the joy of finding something I really want, but also a +5 because it's a positive step for me in becoming more of a minimalist (not so much because I didn't buy anything, but because it's the first time I've intended to spend a gift voucher and not spent it straight away). So +1 bittersweet, with a short-term time score.

So overall, I'm having a fairly decent day so far.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
This flu bug is endless. Extra no-voice today, because I spent most of the night coughing. Robotics is in full swing, (4+ afternoons a week) so my personal time is greatly reduced. I have to keep an eye on those girls or we'll get a chassis with a flamethrower attached (this year, they're all about the flamethrower idea. Last year, it was a chainsaw they wanted.)

I'm going to finish the current beta either today or tomorrow. Not going to lie, it'll probably be tomorrow - as great as the book is - because I really want to go straight to bed when I get home.

SNI is so shiny. I really want to play with it, but it's just not the time for that.

No class this week, but I missed last week being sick. Bought the extra workbook yesterday, but I should really call and ask what the homework is...

ETA: totally lied - finished the beta. Ugh, SO good. Beta = sometimes reading books you'd happily pay for, for free.

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
So far, I wrote 6k in 2015, all in my first draft of NA paranormal "Ghostslayer". I've also written eight reviews for on my book review blog, and have kept up with blogging.

Now I'm focusing on client edits first.