The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KT Public Relations & Literary Services (Kae Tienstra)

figuring it all out The Scribbler's Avatar

KT Public Relations & Literary Services (Kae Tienstra)

Anyone have any info or a history with this agency. Kae Tienstra is the agent. I ran across it her on agentquery.com. I checked out the website, but it really does not offer much information. I am guessing that she is pretty new. They are not even listed on Preditors & Editors.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.ktpublicrelations.com/

Well...flipping through a few Google pages finds "press releases" regarding some self-pubbed / univ. press books, but nothing about her as an agent selling those books.

Personally, I'm leery of such agent/publicist combos. Smacks of conflict of interest. I mean, would they really make the effort to sell a few books a year to agent-required publishers (who'd do their own publicity) when they could funnel writers en masse into micro-presses and get $$$$ from the authors for publicity? Unless you can get "real" sales info, I'd pass.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I received one of my SASEs back in the mail earlier today asking for a partial. They also want my "marketing strategy for the book--What we are looking for here is the extent/size of your 'platform' for selling/marketing your book"

This was followed by a bulleted list. Should I worry, be glad I didn't get a form rejection, or send off the info? I'd appreciate any help.

-Nick
    I recognize no man's right to any minute of my life or any part of my energy, no matter how great his need. - Howard Roark

Looking for a professional edit?
    http://www.editfirst.ca

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I got a rejection of an e-mail query a couple of days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexusman
    Should I worry, be glad I didn't get a form rejection, or send off the info? I'd appreciate any help.

-Nick
    I'd say the standard agent-vetting questions apply: What has this agency sold to advance & royalty-paying publishers which require agents? Can you find those books on shelves? (I.e., the sales aren't from twenty years ago or something.)

If no, wouldn't you prefer an agent who can get you on shelves rather than "sell" you to a POD, then charge you $$$ for "publicity"?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Any further news? They requested a partial.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

I finally got around to sending them a partial just earlier today. I'll keep everyone posted on what I hear back but I'm having some doubts about their validity. Their website is primarily about the PR part of their business and they don't even show their client list for books or recent sales.

-Nick
    I recognize no man's right to any minute of my life or any part of my energy, no matter how great his need. - Howard Roark

Absolutely Fazed
    Any update on this, Nexusman?

Sorry, completely forgot about this thread. I got a (hand-written) rejection about two months after I sent off the partial. Oh well...

-Nick

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    http://www.ktpublicrelations.com/

Personally, I'm leery of such agent/publicist combos. Smacks of conflict of interest. I mean, would they really make the effort to sell a few books a year to agent-required publishers (who'd do their own publicity) when they could funnel writers en masse into micro-presses and get $$$$ from the authors for publicity?
    I spoke with Kae Tienstra -- she was very clear that if they are the literary agent for an author, they do not do the publicity for that author.

Good to hear. Did she happen to mention recent sales?
    ICAO
    ---------

She has sold two NF in the past year (psychology/self help; no, I didn't ask which publishers).

She was very straightforward about their experience -- "We have a great background in book publishing from a marketing, sales and public relations perspective, but we want you to know that we are not seasoned literary agents."

I certainly appreciate an agent who doesn't overstate her experience. Seems pretty rare.

My critique partner has just been offered representation by Kae Tienstra for her fantasy novel.
    I'll let you know how she gets on.

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar
    They sent me a very professional and personal rejection, and apologized for taking a long time to do it. I'd query there again.
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming December 2017, Aliens Abroad -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

practical experience, FTW Tachyon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    My critique partner has just been offered representation by Kae Tienstra for her fantasy novel.
    I'll let you know how she gets on.
    That's very interesting, since I queried regarding my fantasy novel and received a rejection that contained this:
    Unfortunately, we are going to pass on this project because we are pulling away from the fantasy genre.
    Honestly, my query wasn't very well written (I'm rehashing it in the Query Letter Critique forum). However, if it was the query--not the genre--that prompted the rejection, I would have liked to know.

Or maybe she just decided to refuse any further fantasy queries after a cut-off point and your friend got in before that point. I'm not going to draw any conclusions; I'm just sharing my experience.

The reply itself was professional and well-written, and also quite quick.

Update: My critique partner has an offer for her novel from an advance paying publisher who gets their books into bookstores.

Writing is finite,revising infinite Prawn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Update: My critique partner has an offer for her novel from an advance paying publisher who gets their books into bookstores.
    Kudos to her, and to your friend! Here's the next question: was the publisher one that accepts unagented submissions?
    Ceci n'est pas un sig.

It was, because the samples were sent before she signed with the agency and the request for the full came in a few days after she signed.
    However I know that the manuscript is out with other publishers who do not take unagented subs, and the agency is making the right moves in contacting them to see if they are interested in making a counter offer.

My critique partner has landed a two book deal with Berkely. This was a counter offer to the one I mentioned above and was handled completely by Kae Tienstra

I was thinking about querying this agent. Anyone else have more experience with her since this thread was started?

Thanks, Quill Chick.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    I decided to query them on a fantasy novel I'm currently shopping and got this email:

Dear Ms. Tomlin:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider your query. Unfortunately, we are going to pass on this project. We wish you only the best in your continued search for an agent and a publisher.

Sincerely,

Kae Tienstra

Nothing about not being interested in fantasy, you'll notice. Pretty much a form email, of course, but I'd say normal seeming for an agent.

The latest Publishers Lunch lists a "nice" sale to Berkley (for one book, so I presume it's a deal in addition to the one waylander mentions above.)
    ICAO
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    The latest Publishers Lunch lists a "nice" sale to Berkley (for one book, so I presume it's a deal in addition to the one waylander mentions above.)

Nah. I think that's a mistake.
    If it is for Patrice Sarath's book, it's a two book deal.

*shuffles through link history* Ah, yep, same author. Drat, I was hoping to credit KT with another sale.
    ICAO
    ---------

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar
    Kae has a blog, if anyone's interested:
    www.newliteraryagents.blogspot.com

I queried her a couple of weeks ago and just received a request for 3 chapters and a synopsis. My book is urban fantasy.
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast