Question about reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
^^ I read fiction mostly within the genre I wish to write, as well as books that simply interest me no matter the genre. :D

My point was that most people read much more than they realize. It's just because they're not reading an actual book that they don't think it counts as reading.

Like, I can say that I mostly read fantasy and science fiction, but in reality most of my reading is probably online articles... and probably most of those are about food.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Bufty said:
If you want to write, write.

If you don't want to, don't.

Filigree said:
Not to be cruel, but if you want to write, your mind will find ways to let you do it. Maybe not all the time, but enough. The act of writing is as much a learned skill as cooking. Once you demystify the process and learn how to take it in small steps, it's easier.

You're not being cruel.

If... I'm not writing, despite kind of wanting to, then...

What if I'm more excited about the notion of getting my name on some book and my story in pages?

But... If don't write... Then...

No, I want to. It's just this depression. It's making me question everything, ask these stupid questions, and whatever else. It's terrible.

I read enough. More than most people who want to be writers. I should've figured this.

><

I'm sorry if I'm a bit annoying. o.o

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to suggest removing the word 'should' from your vocabulary. 'Should' is a great to set up obligation, and then you can fail at it, and beat yourself up about something. (The 2nd sentence here refers to the general 'you'.) Someone suggested rephrasing every 'should' sentence with 'want'. "I should practice guitar more." --> "I want to practice guitar more."* When you say them, you will have a different emotional reaction. You can ask yourself, as a result, what is really true? There is a lot to be said of the idea that every one of us is always doing what we really want to do... (Even though we think something else is better)

(Honestly, the new sentence would be much better phrased as "I want to *play* guitar more" since 'practice' has much more of a sense of drudgery and obligation, but play has a sense of pleasure/fun/joy what have you. Scales can be a pleasure if you think of them in a way that allows to see them as something fun.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yes. Take 'should' out of the equation. Depression is a sneaky condition, in that it finds many different ways to derail people. Expectations set up unrealistic goals, which set up more depression.

Higher animals learn by play - a challenging new skillset is disguised by fun activities. The brain develops a positive association with the activity and the skill. At some point, that can become hard, necessary, desperate work. But play was the channel by which it was learned first.

Enjoy at least something about the act of writing, with no expectation of outside gain. Remember how those wonderful I-can-write-anything! moments feel, for those times when you can't. The human brain really can't seem to tell the difference between remembered and active emotions, and our memories are a constantly re-written melange.

Most of all, try to compartmentalize your wish to see your name on a book. That's how vanity publishers snare writers. Rather, focus on wanting to tell your stories. Wanting to know what the characters do next. Or what is just beyond that mountain range you just included as set dressing.

Homework: go look up Neal Peart's lyrics to the Rush song 'Limelight'. It may contain some strategies for you.

Last edited:

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
What if I'm more excited about the notion of getting my name on some book and my story in pages?

I 100% understand this. I feel it too. The thing is, though, if you want to have written, you have to write. If you want to have read, you have to read. There is no way around this. There's this idea that gets thrown around that if you don't love every second of writing, you aren't cut out for it, but I don't buy that. There are plenty of activities that I don't love to do, but I love the results of having done them (working out...cleaning my house...studying...). You want your name on that book. I get that. Keep that image in your head. The only way to combat a natural inclination towards listlessness is with an unwavering hunger for self-actualization. From what I've read from you, I think you have that hunger, but self-doubt gets in your way. You really need to bury that. I agree with others who say stop using the word "should" about your activities. There is no single correct path to any aspiration.

And by the way, I don't read as much as I should either. I don't write as much as I should. I let life get in the way everyday. But that is 100% in my control, and I could change it at any time. Reading your posts, I don't get the sense that you feel you are in control of your life. You write things like "I know I should read more, but I just don't and I don't know why." I know why I don't do things I should do. I am lazy and hard-headed and suffer from terrible inertia (not saying any of these things apply to you! These are just my reasons) However, reading back, you do mention you suffer from depression. I'm very sorry. It's such a nasty thing. I hope you are getting help with that. I can't say I've ever experienced serious depression but I do sometimes go through periods when I can't seem to function on a normal level (showering, opening mail, cleaning, etc.) and want to sleep all the time. Maybe mild, situation depression? I always end up having to yank myself out of these funks, sometimes quite forcefully, because I've experienced them often enough to recognize what's happening. I understand mental illness is not always something one has any control over, but my point is that if you can recognize negative patterns of behavior in yourself you can go a long way towards cutting them off before they have a chance to overwhelm you.

I'm rambling now, though, and totally off topic from your original question, so I'll shut up. If you ever want to talk about these issues, though, shoot me a PM!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Few writers are great at everything related to writing. There are some books where certain aspect of their prose leaves something to be desired, at least as far as our English teachers were concerned, but that doesn't meant their authors are talentless hacks. There's usually something the writer does well that pulls readers in. Maybe it's characterization, or pacing, or their ability to immerse the reader in a setting. Even if they use too many adverbs, or their plots seem predictable.

I know that I read differently than I used to. I not only recognize sentence that seem awkward, especially those ones where I have to read more than one time to understand what the author is saying, and I can explain why. But that doesn't mean I'll throw a book I'm enjoying down because the author (and their editor) goofed a few times.

I tried writing several novels, but never took off and finished one until I followed the advice: write the book that only you could write.

This is a great way of putting it. Another piece of advice I've seen is to write the kind of book you'd love most to read.

Last edited:

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Like someone else said earlier, reading is one way you can get better at writing. It's not the only way. Other things that will make you better at writing include: observing people. Talking to people. Thinking about your stories. Doing things that interest you. Living your life. And, of course, writing.

If you enjoy reading and can find time for reading, then read as much as you can! But I don't see any reason to feel like you're damaging your ability to write if you aren't currently reading very much. I am a hugely voracious reader ... sometimes. And then there are times when I'm so busy (or writing so much!) that I don't read very much. For me it goes in cycles. And that's okay. Sometimes I need to take some time off from immersing myself in other people's fictional worlds in order to give my own fictional worlds full play in my creative brain.

I also agree with Filigree that animals learn by playing. Especially when you're in a "just starting out" stage, I think the fun factor is really important. Studying it intensively and making it into "work" can come later. Right now you should do what feels good. Maybe thinking of writing and/or reading as an obligation has stripped all the fun out of it. Maybe you could give yourself a couple of weeks off and say "No obligatory books or writing for me for this week! I will only pick up a book if I really want to read it, and I will only write if I really want to write!" And then see what happens. Maybe if you take it out of the realm of obligation and back into the realm of fun, you'll find that it's important enough that you do it anyway. Or maybe, giving your brain a rest and letting it idle by watching TV or playing games with your family instead of trying to make yourself think writerly thoughts will leave you refreshed and eager to write when you go back to it. (This often happens to me -- sometimes the very best thing that can happen to me creatively is to have a couple of weeks when I'm literally too busy to write ANYTHING, because then I end up with the writer part of my brain desperate to put hands to keyboard and get started on all the ideas that have been building up in my brain in the meantime!)

And my sympathies on your depression. That's terrible to deal with. :(

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I actually was thinking about the novel I put on hold today (in my signature "Of Blade and Quill").

But of course, I have issues that need fixed.

Also, I finished a book this week and went straight to the library for more. One making me want to continue my novel! Somehow.

MagicWriter

Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!
Registered
Reaction score
Reading is how one gets better at writing. We all know that.

Let's say I have no job and 40 hours a week of absolute free time. I only read about 3 to 4 hours total during the whole week. I have like 3 books sitting around with bookmarks in them.

This is bad, right? I used to read a lot more as a child. Now a days I play games and try to make them, I draw, I browse the internet, I nap, etc. reading is not always my too priorty.

I'm terrible. XD

Do you like what you are reading? Maybe you need a different genre...sounds like you get bored with the story. There are several threads in here of recommendations for great stories, maybe you just need a little push.

Stephen King has several reading lists as well that consist of a breadth of genres. I can say that nothing I ever pulled from his list has been a disappointment yet, but others in here may disagree. May be a jumping off point to get you excited.

Good luck!

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not too interested in Stephen King -- already tried.

Right now I picked up a book where I stayed up for several nights reading it. XD

Maybe it's not Epic Fantasy I thought I liked, but just general secondary fantasy or fairy tale-like stories.

((I wish I could turn my WIP into something more fairy tale-like, actually))

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's not Epic Fantasy I thought I liked, but just general secondary fantasy or fairy tale-like stories.

Read those types of books, then!

Mercedes Lackey has a series of fairy tale-like fantasy-romances (heterosexual). Jim Hines has a great series of YA what-happened-after-the-fairy-tale princess stories (featuring both straight and lesbian characters). L-J Baker has a (lesbian) fantasy-romance featuring a fairy main character.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Her language might a little tricky for you, but Patricia McKillip might be really good for you: very rich descriptions, great characters, and lush fairy-tale ambiance. Her Riddlemaster series is good, but her standalone books are easier for an intro. My favorite is her 'Cygnet' duo.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for the suggestions!

I retreated to my room today feeling meh, and I WAS going to just lay there, but the book I borrowed from the library last weekend called me...

Strange to have that feeling back again!

MagicWriter

Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not too interested in Stephen King -- already tried.

Right now I picked up a book where I stayed up for several nights reading it. XD

Glad you found something that you enjoy reading. As far as SK, I don't mean necessarily his work--he has compiled a list of novels written by other people that he enjoyed, and the genres are of all kinds. :)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I can relate to your post.

I used to read a book per day. Sometimes two. I'd curl up with one and I'd continue until I was done. I loved reading so much. That was when I was a child. I was an only child. Not much to do at home. I wasn't very social. So, I'd have a lot of time. No computer, my parents didn't allow TV.

Today I love TV shows. I love gaming. I only discovered gaming when I was 18. And then there's the internet. And I think I lose a lot of time just browsing reddit, wikipedia, twitter and I'm not actually doing something, just browsing and sure I see interesting things, keep up to date with news etc. but I also lose time.

I want to make more time for reading again in 2015 and less time for procrastinating. Just don't know how yet.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a slow reader too. I only read a handful of books a year. But my New Year's resolution is to read 10-12 this year. Already got one down! haha. The rate I'm going I could maybe fit in 2 books a month.

Reading can be challenging. But once I finish a book I feel really accomplished and want to do it all over again. Maybe challenge yourself? I will read one book a month say? Just a thought.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried your luck with a goodreads challenge? It's really simple. You just tell goodreads how many books you want to read this years and every time you finish one you mark it as read at the goodreads homepage and the challenge ticker counts them for you (and tells you if you are still on track). It's really satisfying. I bit like collecting pokemon cards or something.
(Bonus: based on the books you read or want to read you get recommendation for other books you might like. I found a lot of awesome novels this way.)

I did it last year and I read way more books than the years before. I had to lower my initial goal of 40 book to 25 books, but that's still a book every 14 days.

Another tip: I know someone who writes in English although it's a foreign language for her.
When she started out her writing was very bland and clunky. So she started taking notes while reading.
Every time she found an interesting sentence, phrase, word, etc. she wrote it down. After a couple of months she had a huge .doc file with dozens of categories (descriptions for people, descriptions for weather, words to use during fight scenes, word to describe emotions and so on).
Her writing improved so, so much. It was really incredible.
So, if you don't invest much time in reading you could at least try to make that time count.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My Goodreads challenge is my greatest motivation for reading most days

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Though reading is important, I think there's an over-emphasis at times on sheer quantity of reading... which can be daunting for anyone who doesn't read that quickly. There's nothing wrong with being a slower reader or needing breaks between books, as long as you are reading on a regular basis.

There's a big difference between "I don't really have to read as a writer, do I?" and "I like to read, but I don't read as much as some people." You seem to be in the latter category, which isn't a problem. I don't read as much as some people either, but I am reading.

I agree with this. It's difficult to quantify reading because different people read at different speeds. The type of books you read can make a difference, too. If you're reading very long books, or books with language that you find challenging, that may take you longer than reading shorter, easier books. I enjoy reading graphic novels sometimes, and I can usually get through a graphic novel very quickly since there usually isn't a lot of text.

Personally, I've also found that if I get out of the habit of reading a lot, my reading speed slows and I have a harder time focusing. Ironically, even though I was an English major, I had to get back in the habit of reading after I graduated because the way I read when I need to fulfill a reading assignment is a little different than when I read strictly for enjoyment. I'd also stopped reading for pleasure a lot when I was in school, so even though I was reading a lot for my classes, I was probably reading a little less overall. After I graduated, I found that reading some short-ish books that interested me a lot was a good way of getting back into the habit. You don't have to set aside huge amounts of time to read. A lot of my reading is done during my lunch break at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.