10 examples of Zero Tolerance bullcrap this year

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Between the Four Horsemen of Zero Tolerance, Political Correctness, Trigger Warnings and Everybody Gets A Trophy Just For Showing Up, this nation is producing a generation of wussies unprepared for the hardness of the real world and predestined to spend millions in the future seeking relief from prescribed pharmaceuticals and years of professional therapy.

It is absolutely barf-inducing how programmed to conform and submit meekly and passively to authoritative control without question children are today.

Think for yourself. Go nuts. Color outside the lines, for heaven's sake. :snoopy:

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ten minutes may not seem like a very long time when you're sitting inside typing on a computer.

It's a very, very long time for a child to be outside, dripping wet and nearly naked, in 5 degree weather.

Coming up with my plan should have taken about 2 seconds. Since dozens and possibly hundreds of people were no doubt milling around, "rounding up" people could also have been done in seconds. (And, as I noted in my ETA, the kid could have sat alone in the car, too.)

If I'd been a teacher at that school, I would have acted immediately on the immediate emergency (the danger of frostbite), and then sought the "permission" for the perfectly obvious exception to the "zero tolerance" rule.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Between the Four Horsemen of Zero Tolerance, Political Correctness, Trigger Warnings and Everybody Gets A Trophy Just For Showing Up, this nation is producing a generation of wussies unprepared for the hardness of the real world and predestined to spend millions in the future seeking relief on prescribed pharmaceuticals and years of professional therapy.

It is absolutely barf-inducing how programmed to conform and submit meekly and passively to authoritative control without question children are today.

Think for yourself. Go nuts. Color outside the lines, for heaven's sake. :snoopy:
:Trophy:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Between the Four Horsemen of Zero Tolerance, Political Correctness, Trigger Warnings and Everybody Gets A Trophy Just For Showing Up, this nation is producing a generation of wussies unprepared for the hardness of the real world and predestined to spend millions in the future seeking relief from prescribed pharmaceuticals and years of professional therapy.

Good lord. All three of us on one side. Is it the apocalypse?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Ten minutes may not seem like a very long time when you're sitting inside typing on a computer.

It's a very, very long time for a child to be outside, dripping wet and nearly naked, in 5 degree weather.

Coming up with my plan should have taken about 2 seconds. Since dozens and possibly hundreds of people were no doubt milling around, "rounding up" people could also have been done in seconds. (And, as I noted in my ETA, the kid could have sat alone in the car, too.)

If I'd been a teacher at that school, I would have acted immediately on the immediate emergency (the danger of frostbite), and then sought the "permission" for the perfectly obvious exception to the "zero tolerance" rule.

Sure. All of that would be appropriate, and if the teacher had been punished for it, then it would be justified to blame it on a zero-tolerance rule. But what actually happened is different, and again, I suspect what happened is that the car idea didn't come up immediately for whatever reason. (Like, maybe the parking lot is on the other side of campus, or something - I know where we line up for drills and emergencies is not close to any cars.) And when it did, the teacher decided to ask first rather than just doing. I just don't see the logic in blaming a situation on zero-tolerance, when what actually happened was the rule was allowed to be broken.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Weird - the ones here require it. The students have to have an account (often requiring the parents to break TOS to start one for an under-aged child) and the account is used to communicate directly with teachers and admin.

Facebook? Speaking professionally, that is fricking nuts very unwise. :)

If accurate, it opens up the school to a collection of potential liability issues -- encouraging students and families to violate TOS via private, not institutional agreements. It runs risks with regard to privacy laws, both state and federal, and opens up a really interesting can of worms when it comes to FRCP and FOIA responses. As a parent, I'd want something from the school legal counsel approving the policy and indemnifying parents/legal guardians. (The latter of which would probably not stand up in court.)

Add to that, there are free services out there to serve the same purposes -- provide multiple levels of easy communication, teach digital citizenship, provide demonstrable accountability and PBL style accomplishment (like Moodle and EdModo and Google Apps Classroom.)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think for an official AW apocalypse, we also need Diana and William.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I think for an official AW apocalypse, we also need Diana and William.
Well I posted something that has the best chance yet of getting you, me, Don, nigthtimer, Diana, William and robeiae all on the same side on something and so yea, that's pretty cool.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Shall I stand as the lone defender of the next generation?
Sure, go for it. I mean, your posts before indicate you come from a culture that is known for being willing to take on the whole world and saying "fuck it, I'll fight you all" and so if anyone can do it, I'm sure you can.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Kuwi, the day you defend blind obedience to rules and authority, it truly will be the apocalypse.

I don't really see "political correctness" or "trigger warnings" as anything of the sort. Political correctness is merely a strawman created by those who fear critical thinking.

I don't know that most kids will grow up believing in zero tolerance after being burned by it, so I'm mostly confident they'll see it as the ridiculous bullcrap that it is.

I don't see us growing a nation of wusses. I see us growing a nation of rebels who will rebel in a way the previous generation doesn't approve of. Just as it has always been.

Sure, go for it. I mean, your posts before indicate you come from a culture that is known for being willing to take on the whole world and saying "fuck it, I'll fight you all" and so if anyone can do it, I'm sure you can.

Thank you. :evil

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Shall I stand as the lone defender of the next generation?

No. Like clintl said, the kids are alright. And I'd like to see some evidence, any evidence, of inability to cope in the real world amongst latter generations.

I could also do without the hilarious equating of wussiness with depression, but maybe I'm just too fucking PC for here.