AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Capital Talent Agency

Capital Talent Agency

http://capitaltalentagency.com/index.html

I found them in the Guide to Literary Agents: New Agent Alerts section. I've never heard of them before this. They don't list the books or authors they represent, so it's hard to gauge.

Any thoughts?

I'm finding a post about a year old in which someone names it as one of the two legitimate agencies for actors in the metro-DC area while giving sound advice on avoiding agent scams.

Capital is mentioned, again for actors, at a few other legit webistes, starting with http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-...t-talent-reps/. The only mention for writers which I found easily was at http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-...-talent-agency.

My biggest concerns would be that they're all over the place, repping playwrights, actors, lighting designers, costume designers, choreographers--and writers. And that they're not in the bosom of the US publishing industry, New York. Granted, they may have connections there, but my understanding is that most of the really good agents are in or very near New York.

I don't see anything screaming "Scam!" but I see things which would make me hesitate nevertheless.

Maryn, scaredy-cat
    Last edited by Maryn; 12-29-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

From their website:
    Capital Talent Agency represents authors in all genres of fiction and non-fiction, as well as playwrights and screenwriters.
    Sounds like they may be spreading themselves a bit thin, especially with only three agents (one of whom is the CEO) and an assistant. The bios don't tell that they've actually sold anything. The only working link on their literary page is that for submissions.

Just wanted to chime in and say that a lot of very good agents don't live in New York. Albeit, as far as I can tell, most agents do live and work there.

And I'm not just saying this because my agent lives in Boston (though her agency is based in New York). Kristin Nelson (of Nelson Literary) lives in Denver, and a number of agents live in L.A. I think the main thing is having connections and realizing that travel to the publishing hub is an important necessity (to meet and greet with editors).

And D.C. isn't really that far, since you could take a train and back in a day.

To the topic, however, I wouldn't submit anything to them until they had some history of selling books in my genre.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Lead literary agent currently Cynthia Kane (PM page, such as it is). Recent (only?) sales to Sourcebooks and Fiery Seas (press release)

She also runs Open Book Editing: http://openbookediting.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: