Check In- What Are You Doing?

writingclarity

Registered
Reaction score
Just rented 6 books from the library.

Voracious reading planned this weekend and next week.

Ugh you're so lucky. I want to read but for now I have to read a book for school that I've given up on multiple times.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently attempting to write while juggling two hours classes for ACT stuff almost everyday.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@BD- That is so true, things don't like to go smoothly for too long.

It's amazing how much pets can cost. 7k for a procedure on an elderly dog, wow. That's great that your aunt found a much better price.

Housecleaning has not occurred. :(

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
FB - Yeah, she was lucky. (We were wondering how many animals were put down by people who couldn't afford the high vet's prices and didn't have the luxury of time to look elsewhere... I know many chain vets thrive on upselling, but it's just plain heartless to upsell that much.) Makes one wonder if that pet insurance stuff is worthwhile.

Later the same evening, and it's bedtime. Didn't do any writing, but I did reread some of that novel I transferred. Dang it, I owe it to that thing to finish it... it's got too much heart in it to give up on.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Getting ready to go to class.

Ontario has had a college faculty strike since the last month and a half or so. We're going back today!

HERE I GO!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
DanielSTJ - I read about that the other day. Enjoy your delayed education!

Tuesday morning, and killing a little time before heading out to the store (again) to buy eggs (again.) My shoulder's acting up; I think I tweaked it the other day during shopping, carrying a heavy basket around the store too long. Hope it's better by Wednesday... slinging books with a bum shoulder won't be fun.

Probably should get ready to go soonish.

--

And it's post-shopping-trip. Got the eggs and a few other things. Also looked at Target, and was about as unimpressed by the selection as last year.

Just found out that the Titan Quest Anniversary Edition has a brand new expansion pack at GOG.com when the sibling got it for me. (I knew there was a reason I kept her around... ;) ) It adds a Northern European leg, plus other extras. Now I have to earn game time by getting ornament work done. Dang it...

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blah. Tired with a sinus headache, and still have to clean the master bed and bath, and there's nothing good on TV while I do it. This is what I get for staying up all night writing.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
FB - Sinuses are, indeed, the root of all evil and misery in the world.

Tuesday evening, and about to head off to do more writing of some sort (probably skimming and pondering as I get back into that long-delayed novel revision).

Ornament work was made temporarily more interesting by a power outage. Had to prop the shed door open for the light, so I got to watch the wind and the rain and the humm fights (we got at least five of the little buzzers, I think - I can confirm four, of which one is a female, but exact numbers are difficult as they spend 90% of their time chasing each other around the yard while cursing and the remaining 10 cursing for no reason.) And somehow the danged ornaments ended up bigger than intended, but it's too late to restart now. Besides, at this point it's a grudge match against at least one of them. (They will not defeat me, dang it... gonna have to find the energy to work on some of them after work, but they will not defeat me.)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Very busy week for me so far as I've been doing all my holiday season cleaning/prep.

Just sitting down for a few minutes while coffee #2 finishes brewing.

Still gotta get my Portuguese practice in, I won't have time to do it tonight. Then finish up a few things before it's out the door to work. At least traffic will (probably) be light.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday morning, and the bum shoulder's still bummy. (Actually, it's more of the shoulder blade than the shoulder, but still won't be fun slinging books with the thing.) Dang it. May pop an ibuprofen or two before work, though I have no idea if it did any good last night.

Dang it.

May or may not have to shop after work for last-minute Stuff. And somehow I have to squeeze ornament work in around making dinner. May fall back on chicken strip and fry again. I also (shudder) may have to wake up early tomorrow so I can get a little work in before the family gathering. And maybe some after the family gathering. (The final phase is going to require multiple steps, unfortunately. Would be so much easier if I had a place to hang them while they dried, but I don't, so I must allow for propping them in various positions while avoiding putting big thumbprints in damp Apoxie.)

Also working my way back into that unfinished story. I know I went off the rails at some point, which is why I dead-ended, but I'm trying to determine just where.

Dang it.

Eh, well... all must wait until after work. Gotta get shoes on soon and head out the door. Fingers crossed it'll be a light day...

--

And it's Wednesday evening, on the warmest day-before-Turkey-Day I can readily recall. It hit the 70's in some local cities. The wind felt almost summerlike, warm and muggy. Seeing gray November skies speckled with drifting autumn leaves as a warm, moist wind breezes by was borderline surreal.

As for how the day went...

On the plus side, we got out of work early.

On the minus side, I had to shop my way home - which required hitting two stores, because the first was dead out of what I wanted. Dang it. So that ate the extra time gained by getting out early.

On the plus side again, I got some work done on ornaments, evening some base coat divots and bumps and cracks.

On the minus side, I didn't get to all twelve of them before I had to come in to start dinner (chicken soup, to use up some boneless chicken breast.) So four aren't caught up.

On the plus side, we watched a new-to-us MST3K ep with dinner (Mad Monster).

On the minus side, we kept getting interrupted.

So, ultimately, it was a neutral day, with a slight bias toward plus because I got myself chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

We're leaving for Turkey Day late enough I might be able to catch up on those four last ornaments before we leave. Or maybe after we get back. It's Turkey Day, after all... plus we'll likely have enough leftovers I won't have to prep dinner, giving me extra time in the evening.

Will do some more rereading/skimming tonight, maybe some spitballing, then call it good. Holiday tomorrow, so I'll give myself a pass on major productivity.

And my stupid shoulder blade's still a bit twingy, dang it, though it wasn't so bad at work as I'd thought. Could've been the ibuprofen helping, though.

Last edited:

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of sinuses, guess who got knocked with her third sinus infection of the year. Yep, it me. This has seriously sapped my writing energy, not to mention make work a nightmare. I mean, hello, I talk on phones captioning calls for my job, I kinda need my voice. And the fact that I have gobs of blockage in my throat from my nose makes talking for more than 30 seconds at a time...challenging, to say the least. You'd think they'd cut me some slack, but nooooo, still gotta monitor my phone calls, and still gotta punish me for being sick and hopped up on sudafed, ibuprofrin, and flonase, when I didn't even want to be there in the first place. I'm feeling vindictive enough to wish I had the flu or a cold, so I could sneeze all over them and pass it around >.>

On the plus side, I've gotten a tiny amount of writing done, but unless I make a miraculous recovery by Monday, I'm not gonna hit my deadline, damnit.

But I hope everyone's Turkey Days go well. May it be filled with tasty food, little talk of politics, little talk from relatives about "your little book thing" or "your whole author thing" and why you're not published yet, and sweatpants. Cause sweatpants are awesome on this day.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Second caffeinated beverage of the day. Made it through my first class without incident.

Glad to be on AW. This place relaxes me. : D

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday, Turkey Day morning, and I'm chilling by the turkey shrub listening to Thanksgiving carols on the radio, watching the cranberry lights blinking in the window as kids pull on their holiday wishbones by the fireplace, gifts from the Great Gobbler...

Wait, I have my holidays messed up again, don't I? I was wondering about why people stuck all that gooey bread product in a sock... though this does explain the trouble I was having wrapping the pumpkin pie. (It doesn't explain why I now have "The Little Drumstick Boy" caught in my head.) And I don't even have kids...

Actually, I'm sitting in my room making my morning internet/e-mail rounds. We head out in about an hourish for the family gathering. Just got done catching up those last four ornament armatures, so I have some down time before I have to get dressed and start hauling stuff to the car. (We're bringing the potato salad, drinks, and fruit salad. I'm also making one more sweep of the book piles for any culls to send to the aunt's Little Free Library; got one I read, another I don't think I'll bother with, and a couple more I'm debating on whether I want to keep or send along to clear up shelf space.)

Away I wander.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would be kind of nice to combine Thanksgiving and Christmas, come to think of it.

Relaxing after dinner. One person is napping and the others are watching a football game so I guess everyone's happy.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Post-feast on Thanksgiving, and I'm just vegetating after a leftover dinner with apple pie, while listening to Xmas music to get myself in the holiday mood. (Currently up is Erasure's "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". I'm a child of the 80's...)

Decent gathering, all in all. No yelling. No politics (though we're all on the same page politically in this family, at least.) Good food.

Just finished my first holiday order on Amazon (first of many, I expect.) Odds are I'll content myself with skimming and maybe light spitballing instead of active writing due to post-feast lethargy. Also have to work tomorrow, though hopefully it'll be light. Should be, as nothing moved yesterday.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Hope everyone had a nice holiday. :)

I was alone, but it actually wasn't that bad. I cooked my own (small) Thanksgiving dinner and pretty much just watched Netflix/played Pokemon all day. Certainly better than dealing with my in laws if I had gone to my brother's house. Plus now I have plenty of leftovers for the best part: the epic leftover sandwich the next day. :D I think I like that better than the actual dinner anyway.

Am missing the traditional leftover piece of pie for breakfast, but I don't really like making pie that much, and a whole pie for one person is a little silly even for me.

As relaxing as it was, I'm having trouble finding my motivation today. Maybe it's still in the coffee pot, I'll go check.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday, and heading off to work in a bit. (You have to lock in the post-Thanksgiving Friday months in advance if you want it off, and I'm just too lazy.) Fingers crossed it'll be light; I'm pretty sure I won't have to shop my way home, so I might be able to get some ornament work in. I'm up to the "good" coats, the ones that (theoretically) count, so it'll slow me down a bit - but it gets me that much closer to sanding and painting. (Which reminds me that I need to check my glaze supplies... plus there's an extra bit I need to get working on when I have some space, that doesn't get added until almost the end but needs to be done in at least two stages. Ergh... why can't I ever do the easy thing?)

Shoes on and out the door, I suppose...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Deciding whether to make dinner or do some writing

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hanging out with my family, about to fix leftover plates for linner and discussing tonight's plans. So nice to have everyone together.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday afternoon, and apparently everyone spent that unseasonably warm and pleasant Wednesday in the library. So no early escape today, though at least we finished.

Dang it.

So I'm eating leftover chicken soup for lunch, after which I hope to attack ornaments.

Off to skim the net between bites.

--

And it's evening. I got 7 1/2 out of 12 ornaments up to the next stage; hope to catch the remainder up tomorrow. Then there's... let's see, assuming I can do the step after this in one go, about five or six more steps that require drying time between them before I'm ready to sand, prime, and paint. And there's still the auxiliary doohickey that needs to be prepped and (probably) glittered at some point, but probably not when I have wet Apoxie around.

I'm gonna be working past midnight on Xmas Eve again, aren't I?

Ergh... On the plus side, once I get to painting, things (again, in theory) might go faster, so I might catch up some time then.

Please stop laughing...

Anyway, it was scrounge-your-own-meal night again on account of us having so many leftovers. Tomorrow's turkey night (our own turkey), but I'm hearing rumbles about people wanting fancier sides than I was planning so I may have to trudge out to a store at some point. Hopefully not until I have the last 4.5 ornaments up to speed.

Away I drift again.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Saturday afternoon, and I have to get the turkey in the oven before I head back to the shed. Caught everyone up on the last stage, now I've started the next stage, which doesn't take as long but needs doing before the next relatively intense stage.

I'd hoped to be on that already, but I had to go to the store. The sibling just would not catch a hint that I'd kinda rather have had her go out than me, especially as it's her crud we had to pick up. Eh, well... saw three hawks and and eagle, and several nice late autumn trees.

So now that I've finished my deli soup lunch, it's time to get the turkey ready to turkify in the turkification pan and turkotronic box. (Or roast in the roasting pan in the oven, I suppose.)

Away I go.

--

It's later, and about time to start side dishes for the turkey, though I expect I'm optimistic about it being done when the oven timer says it's done. Deciding what I want for tonight and what I want to save for tomorrow night (which will probably be turkey night again. We like our turkey...)

Got all the ornaments up through the next step, which is good because I expect I'll lose tomorrow to a family Thing.

Last edited:

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm finally seeing the light at the end of this illness. Going to try to go back to work tonight after a day and a half off. I gotta say, that humidifier was the best investment I ever made. It's cut the time of my sinus infection in half. So, hopefully I can get the rest of my story written in a week.

A week.

*Starts internally screaming.*

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thereeness - Congrats on shaking the sinus thing! As for the novel, if all else fails, remember you can end it at pretty much any time with the immortal phrase: rocks fall, everyone dies.

'Tis Saturday evening, and I just finished off the apple pie leftovers from Turkey Day. As for our own private turkey day, it turned out rather well, considering that the bird had been frozen since last year. (There's just no way of knowing if they'll have flavor or not, we've decided - same brand, same prep, same oven, and still no way to know.)

And tomorrow will indeed be lost to a family Thing, meeting a relative to visit a nursery.

But I'll probably get lunch out of the deal, so I shouldn't complain. And I won't have to worry about dinner; got over half of a 20-pound bird in the fridge.

Just gonna have to work longer on Monday, is all. And Tuesday. And pretty much every day after work, in the off chance I can get somewhere near the painting phase before December hits double digits.

Ergh...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am eating ice cream.

Last edited: