Check In- What Are You Doing?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
With you on the writing thing. *Guilty look* Haven't touched my WIP today, yikes. But on the plus side, I'm doing research for my Nanowrimo novel so that's productive...in a different way xD

NaNo planning counts as writing, as research counts as writing - you're focusing on a story, at least, and gathering grist for the mental mill.

Debating making a run at it again, myself, even as an editing "rebel." (Did NaNo successfully for six years in a row, but haven't done it for a few years now... trying to get my tail in gear to revise those six novels. Well, seven, if you count the year I finished early enough to do a novelette that was technically fanfic, but could be extracted with revisions. I was on fire that year... been down to cold embers lately.)

Later, and feeling a little zonked in the head from the marginal Mobius bug. If it stays to a dull roar, that's fine.

Wound up doing chicken strip and fry for dinner because I realized I forgot to get cheddar, and the sibling won't accept anything but cheddar. (Also probably need another loaf of bread, to be on the safe side.) We watched another MST3K with dinner - Stranded in Space, a failed TV pilot released as a video movie. (Was Cameron Mitchell in anything that didn't totally suck?) I could see where they wanted to go with it - astronaut from Earth crashes on a "counter Earth" ruled by the totalitarian Perfect Order - but they just plain didn't have the structure, characters, or chemistry for a series. Or the budget. Their "Terra" was basically California, except everyone was left-handed and they had no dials on their telephones. (Because if two planets form at the same time, clearly they'll continue to develop in the same way at the same rate, down to precise geography and modern English.)

I'm aiming to do a little site work and some spitballing before bed. May listen to more music, because my head's in a weird place and I feel like I want some music to get it back in some manner of useful groove.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
Recovering from quality-of-life surgery. Today is day three or four, depending on how you count. Surgery was on the twenty-sixth and finished in the afternoon. Today was the first time I'd been able to shower. Showering was physically painful and so exhausting that I slept for two hours. Got cranky and overcompensated by doing two loads of laundry, and tomorrow (today?) I will try to do dishes or something.
I never thought I'd think this, but I'm glad I'm unemployed--I genuinely thought, "Oh, I can totally bounce back within three days! Four, if I want to spoil myself!" before this. No. A week is generous. I am glad the procedure went okay, and will need it every five years or so.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Iszevthere, I hope you feel better soon. I went through similar in August and it was harder to bounce back than I imagined but it gets better quickly. Good luck healing—don’t overdo it!

This morning I’m lounging in bed, enjoying the quiet. I like starting the day without a mad rush. Feels good.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Just finished breakfast after spending hours and hours editing the historical, beta reading, and learning how to Blogger. I decided it would be more convenient than a static website. When that's done I'm going to build a Brandon Lee and my hometown history.

Last edited:

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
I feel fucking ACCOMPLISHED! Act 1 is FINALLY done! Whoohoo! And it ended in a good way and there was character development (that I'll have to go back and edit later but meh) and I'm excited to get my butt moving to start Act 2 tomorrow night because that's when we get into the real fun. Blind huntsman, undead paladins, festivals, romance, it's all happening in Act 2. ....Although that means it's going to be much, much longer than Act 1. Goddamnit, I'm gonna need like 3, 3-subject notebooks to hold this freaking epic.

My hope for NaNo is to finish the first draft of this thing. That's my big hope and my goal.

If my hand falls off from all that hand writing, I will consider it a success. Today I treat myself to something nice. Next work shift, the work begins anew.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Coffee #2 on a grey Sunday morning.

Feeling pretty happy, all things considered. Got a bunch of stuff done yesterday, and finally got some quality V time in too. So I'm pretty relaxed right now. I admit I'm slowly growing to like waking up early. Still not a morning person but I like getting things done while it's still calm, before everyone else is out and about.

Today is going to be about setting up for success next week. It's a new month so new BuJo overview, new tasks, goals and events, new weekly spread and a new overview for my Portuguese journal too.

Going to leave the bad behind and look ahead. There's a reason why Boston - Peace of Mind is my favorite song, and it seems very apropos for today's theme.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sunday, and I already know I have to shop again, so there's a hole through the middle of the day already. Ergh... (Not just the missing cheddar - someone forgot to mention that there were meds to pick up at the pharmacy the other day. I can't do something nobody's told me needs doing, people.)

Really, really want to get a start on the ornaments this weekend, dang it. And I wanted to finish the C reviews, but made next to no progress yesterday.

And I dreamed an oddball story idea this morning. Dunno if I can pull it off, or if it would carry a NaNo novel or it's just a short, or what, but it's nibbling at my brain. (Actually, I dreamed it was an old 1980's book I found, but the idea's still intriguing.)

Still trying to wake up. One of those mornings where you open your eyes at 8, but literally cannot move until almost 9, even though you can't fall back asleep. That was an hour and one shower ago, and I'm still draggin'. (Not even dragon - which sucks, because I could use the ability to incinerate people on demand.)

And if that doesn't prove I probably shouldn't be up yet, nothing will...

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Tell me about it. We woke up early this morning but V dozed off for another hour, and then we took another two hours to actually get up lol. I still feel half asleep and I'm currently on coffee#3 to make it through the afternoon.

Because I did get such a slow start I did something I don't very often and time blocked the rest of my day. After lunch I did an hour of Portuguese grammar lessons, slowly advancing my way through the DL tree notes. I think I'll be able to help R out a lot, too--while texting the other day he mentioned he knows his English is super rusty and he needs to work on his grammar and vocabulary. Now that I'm learning Portuguese I'm starting to understand the differences between the languages, so I think I can explain it to him the next time we talk about it. I told him I'd help him with his English if he helps me with my Portuguese, lol. I plan to surprise him tomorrow afternoon--I may have mentioned it to him but no one knows I'm actively learning right now.

About to finish my coffee break and move on to the next block--two hours of Tinycards, followed by an hour of Duolingo. Then a break for dinner, and I plan to finish off my night with some immersion via Twitch. I followed 3 Brazilian streamers last night. I do feel like it helps even though my vocabulary is severely lacking.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@BD- I would love to see your ornaments when they're done (if they are not sekrit, of course).

A low key Sunday at home with my sweetie here. More work on the big X-mas project, a workout, a little cleaning and, hopefully, some planning on my NaNo rebel novel.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
FB - Sure! I just usually wait until Xmas day to do pics... because I'm often up past midnight on Xmas Eve fighting with the last coat of glaze or a retouch job.

Sunday afternoon, and another shopping trip's done. Once again, sniffly Mom tagged along. One of these days I need to Lysol the car... Anyway, we got the meds and hit the store and swung by B&N (double discount sale ends today, and I had a gift card to burn off - though, once again, they had nothing on my list so I had to go with impulse.)

After the store, I got out to my shed to start ornament bases. Made decent progress, though I want two more styrofoam cylinders as backups. I try to start with extra bases, in case of disaster. (And if there is no disaster - hey, spare ornaments...) My corded earphones for my MP3 are dying, though... need to pick up another set as I don't want to risk my pricier wireless ones in my workshed. It gets messy out there...

Right now, I'm getting ready for more site work. In the middle of transferring my Bruce Coville reviews, so I'm nearing the end of the C's. Later I want to do some armchair research on that oddball idea.

And off I go...

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Brainstorming for Nano novel and making steady progress for my current WIP. It's been a productive Sunday evening :)

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Mentally exhausted and my stomach decided it does not like the taste of cauliflower after all. Ugh. I've felt off for the past few days, but tonight it all came to a head, which impacted my writing. I started on the first chapter of Act 2, introduced my darling Niko, and got the gang on the scent of something eerie. That's about all I could manage. Thank the gods my blog post for tomorrow's done and all I gotta do is edit it. Also made a start on a blog post for next week so I'm ahead of the game on that. It's my weekend and sadly, I can't go to the NaNo kickoff event because I've got too much other work to do, but at least I get a Halloween movie marathon with my roomie with all the goodies: Hocus Pocus, The Conjuring, ParaNorman, and whatever else we may want to watch. I'm excited :D

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
So tired this morning.

There was a bad storm overnight, I barely slept at all between the rain and the howling wind and the sound of things falling/breaking. Part of the fence got knocked down and there's fallen branches everywhere. Surprisingly we did not lose power, but I'll bet a lot of roads are a mess. I always get so paranoid during high winds, we're surrounded by trees and a few years back a tree missed falling on my car by less than a foot.

Other than that, things are ok I guess. All caffeinated, did my language study, and preparing to make a huuuuuge batch of brigadeiro tonight.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Monday morning, and I feel a bit of scuzz in the lungs and throat. Dang it. Don't have time for a bug. So far it's not bad enough to prevent work or other Things (though I'll probably back off on my exercise plans), but I have a bad feeling I'll be stuck going over to man someone's empty house for Halloween, and I don't want to be coughing over the candy. (Still a chance I can talk the sibling into it... assuming she doesn't come down with the bug.)

Need to finish off the C review transfer this morning. In the afternoon, I need to get started coating armatures with Apoxie. I can at least start on the ones I have, even if I probably won't get those foam cylinders until Wednesday. (Or Tuesday, if I'm stuck leaving the house anyway, though I doubt I'll get to shop my way there.)

And I finally passed the halfway point on Stephen King's It. A bit slow in spots, but interesting and scary by turns. (It makes an odd contrast with Ray Bradbury's portrayal of childhood, having read The Halloween Tree while working through It; Bradbury infused youth with a blinding nostalgic glow, into which the introduction of true fear and terror was an aberration. King has a glimmer of nostalgia, but is overall more authentic - childhood had its pluses, but it could suck even without supernatural forces involved, especially for those lower in the pecking order.)

Off I go. Making the internet rounds before I settle in with the final four or so C's.

--

So it's later.

On the plus side, I hit the D reviews, and am about to go back in for more.

And I got out to my workshed.

Which brings me to the minus side...

Ever get a project in your head, get it all planned out, start in on it, and realize it's just not going to work for you? That you wouldn't be happy with yourself if you tried making it work? That there's something else that would work better if you sat down and did it?

:Headbang:

In other words, the armatures I got ready... probably won't be used this year. They just weren't looking right, just weren't feeling right, and I was sitting there cursing at them I realized I could do something else with the same material that would likely go a little better, and maybe eat a little less Apoxie. Plus, if (and that's a big "if") I pull it off, I'll be a lot more satisfied.

So, yeah... got a start on the new armatures, but I need to finish them up tomorrow (hopefully.)

Eh, well... back at the site.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Busy, busy, BUSY morning!

So I intended to make Halloween goodies last night. The problem? I didn't get home until 10 p.m. :e2thud:Long day is an understatement. And I feel so, so bad for what I had to ask of R, it was just too much. I didn't leave the office until he was done doing an emergency pharmacy run for me. And I still hadn't finished everything for the day either, but I knew I wasn't going to so I did what I could until R finished. I don't leave until my last driver is in. If a pharmacy driver has a problem, there needs to be a pharmacy dispatcher there to handle it.

I know management would rather have me on the morning shift because of how well I support my drivers, but I can't imagine anyone else doing what I do at the end of the day. Both of our new dispatchers are frankly useless. They've been here a week and they don't do anything, they sit around and watch us work and claim we're not teaching them anything. It's on the job training guys, work already! I don't have time to babysit, I need them to take the initiative and jump in. It's not hard. There is literally always something going on and yet they're complaining they're bored. Please. I did more on my first day than they've done since they got hired.

Whatever. Not my problem.

So I left at 9:30, went home, ate dinner and went to bed. Overslept a little bit and have been going nonstop ever since.

What am I making, you ask? A giant triple batch of brigadeiro, complete with Halloween sprinkles. I'm not turning Brazilian or anything, I just happen to really like them and it's a super duper easy recipe to make, just a bit time consuming.

I honestly was thinking about not doing it today and just buying a giant bag of candy on my way to work but after last night, I just want to do something that will make R smile. He was so tired by the time he was done, and really stressing about a mistake he made earlier. It's really not like him at all, and I hope ops manager E isn't too hard on him today. He knows he did something wrong, there's no need to chew him out when he's already beating himself up over it. Sigh.

Anyway I gotta go check on my truffles. It's going to take forever to roll all these out and I've got an hour.

ETA: My apartment is covered in sprinkles lol. Done with just enough time to put them in the freezer for a bit to finish setting.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Halloween Tuesday. Boo and stuff, I guess... (Not feelin' it this year. My sense of dread has been overextended since last November.)

Slept cruddily again, with weird-arse dreams (again.) Gut's feeling a bit touchy today, so I really don't want to have to go out. Even my workshed's pushing until it decides which way it wants to go, or if it's going to settle down.

Ergh. Will make my morning internet rounds, then settle in for more site work. The D-F folder's smaller than the A-C folder, so I'm hoping I get through it faster. (Of course, the Applegate/Animorphs reviews also bogged down the A-C's.)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes BD, i am quite familiar with starting on a big project only to realize a major detour is required. Lots of doctor appts. This week. So boring.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Later the same Halloween, and the sibling actually went over to the other house. (I have that much to thank my iffy gut for.) We have some candy, but don't expect anyone; haven't had anyone for several years. The kids up the street either do the malls or don't celebrate secular holidays, and nobody else wanders this far up an unlit gravel road anymore. Modern kids are wusses - though I must say I see the attraction of mall trick-or-treating.

Got a little armature work done in the shed. Would've done more, but it always takes some fiddling around to figure out what's going to work and what won't. Then my gut decided it wasn't happy again, so I had to head in anyway. Still have a lot to do out there. But I got festive and hung up my little battery-powered rice lights and plastic bells.

The humms are active out there. Saw one that looked a little small for an Anna's, tanking up at a feeder for a long time. Wonder if it's a wanderer of some other species; hard to tell with the ladies, though it wasn't a Rufous or Allen's because there was no buff on it.

Guess I'll do a little site work while waiting to see if one immodium was sufficient. Or maybe I'll be lazy as hell and just read... (DIY dinner tonight.)

Vaguely debating doing something stupid and jumping into NaNo with nothing but that dream spark idea that I've done zero research on. Terrible idea, especially since I'm still working on cleaning up my previous Nano manuscripts.

Ergh.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
The brigadeiro went over very well, especially with my Brazilians. :) So worth.

Another long day for me, sadly.

Tired. Just finished enough language practice to keep my Duolingo streak. Now I'm going to bed.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@BD- I don't even bother with Halloween anymore because nobody usually comes (and then I eat all the candy myself). It does seem like part of what I consider a larger loss for the younger generation. When we were kids, everyone in my neighborhood got to roam free but people don't trust their neighbors anymore. :(

Did you get any trick-or-treaters?

Last edited:

NathanCole

Crime Writer and Fighter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting here enjoying a few beers, as I have tomorrow off. I'm listening to some new alternative rock music, and I'm touching up the outline for my NaNoWriMo project. Boots hit the ground at midnight. I mean, assuming I'm not drunk by then.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I'm drinking a beer and planning my NaNo project, too. They do go well together. Er, so far. :p

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I have no motivation for NaNo at the moment, but I did get my blog post done, edited, and posted. Huzzah. I need to touch up my outline, it's starting to look like a train wreck, but that can wait for another day. Tonight I intend to scare myself silly with horror movies and then sleep during the day, because I work third shift and I can do that anyway XD Happy Halloween and good luck with NaNo kickoff to those participating!