Check In- What Are You Doing?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Done so much today: cleaned the house, did some gardening, cooked dinner (as usual) and then... did some editing!

After yesterday's lethargy and introspection, I decided all the above would not do themselves.

I'm still hoping things will do themselves if I just give them enough time... Rome didn't build itself in a day, after all. ;)

Monday, and a brief respite from the rain looks to be about over, judging from the color of the sky over the mountain. Dang it.

Pretty much every project I've been doing has been put on hold until I get the camp logo drawn up and at least scanned in, if not finished. I even uploaded the soundtrack from Titan Quest (the Gold edition came with a soundtrack CD), and have been listening to it as I sketch, but it's still fighting me.

Otherwise, not much new. Went out to the store with family today, and remembered once again why I hate shopping with family. (If you don't want deli soup to be cold, maybe don't buy it knowing we have one more store to hit... yelling at me won't make grocery lines move any faster, dang it!) But I shouldn't have to shop until maybe Friday, so that's done. For now.

Guess I'll wander off and try, once again, wrestling a coyote mascot into submission.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
About to make dinner, so that means peeling potatoes. I've been "about to make dinner" for half an hour.

Two Siberian frozen-dumpling recipes for fellow lazy bums out there:

The Siberian turbo-pizza:
1. let a bunch of cheap frozen dumplings melt into softness, crush them together into vague pizza-shape.
2. throw cheese and anything else on top, put into pre-heated oven.
3. the juiciest, meatiest instant pizza on the planet is yours to gorge on.

The Siberian lazy bum broth:
1. boil Y number of dumplings for 7-8min--this will create a thick broth.
2. fish out ready dumplings, throw in canned peas or ketchup or chopped up vegetable X.
3. eat broth with a side dish of dumplings, you lazy bum.

All this is good for the cold months (which is natural enough, keeping in mind the origins), but also good for random attacks of the munchies :D

Last edited:

CreativeHeart75

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's Tuesday again, where did the weekend go? Oh yeah work. LOL I'm just thinking that I should get my housework done before work again tonight. I am planning on writing my journal entry for today but otherwise, just sitting here browsing the forums for a bit first. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday!

Cheers! :D

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Spent all day so far weeding the garden and editing (similar things). Now time for a coffee and muffin.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's Tuesday, and I'm listening to the neighbors power-wash their roof. (I guess they like buying new shingles... power-washing's one of the worst things you can do to promote their longevity, from everything I've read.)

Some logo progress yesterday, though part of me wants to ink this version (for safekeeping) and take just one more stab at my original idea. Don't expect it will work, but I'm an idiot and feel I owe it to myself to at least try.

Gotta remember to charge the Kindle and the cell phone - totally forgot to do that over the weekend. And later today I have to start a laundry, and dump a trapped mouse (not connected tasks: our washing machine doesn't even have a small mammal setting.) But for now, I got me some linework to clean up and ink to apply.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
It would be easier to list what I haven't done today. I even did some editing!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday is occurring, evidently.

Work existed. Understaffing means I'm extra-tired right now. (Doesn't help that my gut decided to kick me on the way home...)

I hope to get some logo work done, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Away I crawl...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Picking up where I left off in the middle grade fantasy. I left it dormant for 40 days because I'd totally lost confidence in it. It's a really strange beast to write. I'm used to YA and lots of it. This thing is a different animal in pace and reading level, and other levels. I feel like such a loser when I neglect what I love to do and have always done--write until my vision blurs. Not so with this book. I'm off to Anne Rice writing videos where she says to ignore the negative, accentuate the positive and get off one's ass and forge on.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday, and the sunny weather mocks me.

Work has been exceptionally worklike for the past two days. Found out we were expected to come in early this morning for a "mandatory" meeting that turned out to be voluntary... but in theory we'll be paid for it. (I say "in theory" because we just switched to a new payroll system and nobody knows what pay code to use.) And there's another "mandatory" thing next month on one of my days off. Those who work multiple jobs and/or have child care to juggle are not very happy about this...

After work, I finally got the car through Brown Bear so I could put the new tabs on. I think I hit just before the crowds; good weather and weekends usually bring them out to the car wash in droves, but I managed to get in with only a minor wait.

My hope for the afternoon and weekend is to get a logo design I like. (Inked one, but I don't know if I'm very happy with it. And, yes, I'm overthinking a logo that 99.9% of people will forget about the moment day camp's over. Doesn't mean I'll be happy with myself for half-arsing it... and this camp, at least, has that 0.1% who seem to appreciate the logos. That's why they still get hand-drawn stuff. The other one, that I haven't heard from, gets pieced-together public domain stuff.) First, I need to write up a book review (more than one, if I decide to review the picture books I read during down time at work - I don't always) and continue my post-work decompression.

Devabbi

Registered
Reaction score
Friday was busy. I worked a full shift, made a hair appt, went out for dinner, went shoe shopping, and am now watching the tail end of round 3 of the NFL draft and listening to Philly boo literally everything. They need to take a chill pill.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Hoping we don't float away in this rain. Anywhere from 3-12 inches predicted this weekend.

In the meantime, I have a short story due Sunday night, a proposal due Wednesday night, and a 3 page "reflective paper" due Thursday by noon, and then I'm done with school, just in time to head off to the OWFI conference. That's going to be a great segue out of school for me.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In the meantime, I have a short story due Sunday night, a proposal due Wednesday night, and a 3 page "reflective paper" due Thursday by noon, and then I'm done with school, just in time to head off to the OWFI conference. That's going to be a great segue out of school for me.

A "reflective paper"? That's tough - writing on Mylar's a pain. (One more reason I never did college... ;) )

A mild and springy Saturday, and I'm suspiciously on track for productivity today. Got the room swept, got the sheets changed, got the laundry loaded (but not started - it's on the microwave circuit due to this house having been wired by an insane man, so I can't start it until I know nobody wants the microwave for a while)... still need to get that danged logo done and work on my review site, but I'm further along than I thought I would be.

Away I wander.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Editing: just rejigged the description of someone's dress for the fourteenth time.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Note to self: tomorrow, do everything else on the To-Do List before working on the blankity-blank logo. Blasted thing keeps fighting me and effectively ate my day, not to mention more sheets of paper than I care to admit... (My own fault, I know - shouldn't let my art muscles get so danged rusty.)

To make myself feel better after a day-long battle with a sketchbook, ref pictures, thumbnails, and a much-battered eraser, I burned off a coupon at Barnes & Noble's website. Well, okay - not to make myself feel better. I did it because I'm a weak, weak person and B&N keeps sending me coupons. I did limit myself to one book, though. That's what passes for self-discipline in my life.

Away I trudge. I may have something worth salvaging in my latest attempt, but I expect it to go to heck by the time I refine the linework. May just end up with my first design by default, at this point.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Its windy and its lunch time. The balloon went up this week so I've fired up the CV to preempt the slash and burn HR bloodbath. Noodles for lunch, pennies to save, but huge relief. I've done many things to keep the kids fed and the roof on, but biting my lip for three years to please mother hen, what was I thinking? Chin up dude, the kettle is on the boil, I'm me again.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
After a six month slump I'm back to writing my second novel and editing my first draft. It's hard to get back in the habit, but L&O reruns make good background noise for me. I always work better with background noise aside just music.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Going through the fourth draft of my novel. There's only 348 more drafts to go.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sunday, and it looks rather gray and dismal out there. Probably a bad day to be out there with the electric chainsaw, in other words. So much for yard work...

Plans for today start with getting my book review site updated, then continue with more logo crud. I have other things on the list, but those two get priority.

Wish me luck...

ETA - Got a design inked! Not perfect, but it captures the theme better, I think. Still need to scan it, clean it, adjust it, and deal with the lettering (squeezing the extra-long theme in won't be fun...), but still: progress! Tangible progress! :D HAHAHAHAhaha.... It's entirely possible that I'm overdue for a break, here.

Last edited:

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy:

Can I ask what part of Ireland you are in?

The second part of my trilogy takes our heroes (and the bad guys who are chasing them!) to County Cork, and I am trying to do some research on that area.

Two of our heroes hide out in an olde mill on the River Lee, so doing research on mills as well. :)

I wish I could have gone to Ireland while I was in Brussels, but my schedule did not permit it.

I hope to go see the castles there, someday. :)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Bank holiday Monday and I got applicants block, need to apply for this job, so what the hell is this beer doing in my hand? Oh yeah, cooking, heaven forbid I should stand at the stove without beer...

Saw a map recently on Pinterest , Irish heritage, shows where in Ireland our family name came from. I was surprised, down the south east, and nowhere near Ballydude.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last 4 days of school...

Yay! Been over 20 years, and I still smile when I recall the feeling of never having to return to school again. (Though that was high school...)

Saw a map recently on Pinterest , Irish heritage, shows where in Ireland our family name came from. I was surprised, down the south east, and nowhere near Ballydude.

I expect it's a little easier tracing surnames over on your side of the pond. Over here, time and distance can muddle things. For instance, the surname "Priest" comes down my mother's side. Sounds like a standard English name... but family researchers have determined it's a corruption of the Welsh "Ap Rhys" that happened after they immigrated.

Anyway...

May and Monday arrive simultaneously. It's gray and damp out there again, which means I likely get another reprieve from firing up the electric yard maintenance implements. Plans for the day involve digging into logo cleanup and layout (there's always stuff to tweak after scanning, plus I do lettering and such in PaintShop Pro) and various other things that need attention.

Off I drift.