Check In- What Are You Doing?

eirbear

Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinlmillar.com
Eirbear, oh yeah, anything the slightest bit non-routine makes them worry that you've taken out another loan on the sly then not reported it so it wasn't considered in how much you can afford, etc. The first house we bought, I had many fits but after that I just went with it and waited. And waited. And waited. It is really such a giant pain in the ass! Anyway, does this mean your bid was accepted? :)

Our offer on the house was accepted a couple weeks ago (sorry, I don't think I mentioned that lol). Last week, we were doing all the inspection stuff. What we're waiting on the sellers for now are whether or not they'll fix the stuff we've requested from the inspection results. :)

If all goes well with the post-inspection negotiation thing (I understand basically none of this, and am doing a lot of smiling and nodding), we'll close on April 22!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another long day. I'm in a cruddy sleeping phase, which makes every day seem longer and more tiring. Hopefully it breaks soon...

Weather is very pleasant, in the 70's (F).

Work was worklike, but we got out a little early. I got to the freeway before realizing I forgot my water bottle. Eh, well... I'll pick it up tomorrow. (If I notice before I leave the building complex, I'll circle back. Otherwise, it has to fend for itself overnight.) And I picked up some simple dinner options on the way home. Tonight's hot dog and potato chip night. Let the good time roll... And I'm updating my book review site with March's reviews. Got 11 of them this month. If only I could write 'em anywhere near as fast as I read 'em...

Now I'm glaring at my big fluorescent light - it's been doing that thing where it won't quite turn on sometimes, making the tubes all flickery and bandy and headache-inducing. One of those times is now.

ETA - I got new tubes for that light, and apparently that did the trick. (Which is good and bad, 'cause part of me would've liked an excuse to rip the light out and get something less ugly and bulky.) So that's good. Still haven't got writing momentum back yet, and I'm losing tomorrow to family stuff. Ergh...

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Shittington cockface hell. Blue screen of death.

I finally get a bit of peace and the old the netbook crashes. Thank arse for the cloud so I've not lost much, and it now seems to be doing an update so it might not be dead. But still. ARSE! This peace won't last. Precious writing time consumed by bloody windows updates.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. It's seems that since I upgraded windows, my Google docs folder has been a local folder not synchronised with the cloud at all. You think you're safe. Copying the lot now.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Windows ten solved a lot of issues for me on my decrepit machine that was crumbling under the weight of security updates. It was a gamble though.

Right now watching a Beatrix Potter documentary and keeping an ear on the boy's wheezing. We'd picked Beatrix out as a girls name but never got to use it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I wonder if Windows 10 can speed up my old stand-up computer. Yahoo takes tons of time to load now, and other site links are very, very tepid in responding. I have CC cleaners, but I'm even afraid of that because last time I used it, I wiped out over 30 passwords on different sites. Maybe those are cookies? Guh.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have an old Samsung netbook. Bought in 2010 and it ground to a virtual halt three years ago and the keyboard gave in. Windows ten breathed life in to it and I'd use it daily were it not for the separate keyboard makes it difficult to position comfortably.

What ya got to lose?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Windows 10 is very similar to Win 7. Microsoft found out that Win 8/8.1 was changing too much and came back to Win 7-like operation. Upgrading to it is painless and I haven't had any issues with it keeping and sorting my files.

But Win 10 isn't going to speed a system up much over Win 7, or at all. I've seen no improvement in my computers.

There's a checkbox option under the "Applications" tab in CCleaner where it auto-marks saved-passwords for each browser for deletion. Un-mark it and that won't happen again.

Thumbdrives are so cheap nowadays. You can grab a Sandisk 128gb drive off Amazon for $28. Or three 3 32gb for the same money for redundancy.

What sort of PC are you running, Tri? Any number of problems might be occurring, but as you say it's old, it might be time for an upgrade.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, that was reasonably pleasant.

It's a sunny Saturday. Spent the day with relatives at a nursery that had a sale on (which we hadn't known about)... parking was a bit of an Issue, but it was pretty. We had lunch out, and got Baskin-Robbins ice cream after the other relatives took off. (Their idea of a "dessert" would've been splitting a Denny's chocolate lava cake five ways. That is not dessert. That is torture.) Now I'm uploading pics to see if anything came out.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
reading the emotional roller coaster that is my friend while she watches the Scream season finally is a very amusing thing to do. especially when you're making Star Wars references which include the famous 'Good, let the hate flow through you' line

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
reading the emotional roller coaster that is my friend while she watches the Scream season finally is a very amusing thing to do. especially when you're making Star Wars references which include the famous 'Good, let the hate flow through you' line

Star Wars quotes make most anything better.

Still wandering around the internet in lieu of actually accomplishing much. (And those pictures came out better than expected - even the ones of a carp, which I didn't think would come out because it was underwater with shiny surface ripples and I didn't have my polarizing lens filter or anything with me.) Probably ought to head off to read before bed. Tomorrow I have a few art projects I really need to get cracking on, relatives permitting, and I also need to get my brain back in the editing game. (It doesn't help that I'm reading Jeff Vandermeer's Wonderbook, which is making me question my editing job on that short story I told myself was finished...)

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Nice weather here. Bit of sea air and warm sun on the face does wonders.

Now need to cook a curry and bath the boys. If only I can get off my arse.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
What sort of PC are you running, Tri? Any number of problems might be occurring, but as you say it's old, it might be time for an upgrade.

It's a desktop Ace that's five years old. After the first year it blew a motherboard and they fixed that. I'll remember about the tab for passwords. That's my biggest problem when I use CC Cleaner. It only has two sticks of memory--forget their size until I look. I run McCaffrey, which I hear isn't top of the line security.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's a desktop Ace that's five years old. After the first year it blew a motherboard and they fixed that. I'll remember about the tab for passwords. That's my biggest problem when I use CC Cleaner. It only has two sticks of memory--forget their size until I look. I run McCaffrey, which I hear isn't top of the line security.

The advantage of McCaffrey is that it can jump *between* back in time to prevent you from downloading viruses in the first place, though it does need a decent supply of limestone to do its job, plus it can run a little hot. The latest versions also aren't that great. I went with Norton, which can be a bit juvenile and dated at times but still has plenty of imagination.

(Anne McCaffrey... Andre Norton... never mind...)

Another sunny day, though rain is due back briefly tonight or tomorrow. And I'm running low on allergy meds... dang it.

Today, I need to get started on some projects I've been putting off. That camp logo ain't going to draw itself; need to warm up the art muscles doing some reference sketches, and maybe stumble across how the heck I'm gonna draw their theme (which gets more bizarre every time I reread it - dear gods, did aliens come up with this thing?). And I want to whip up a few quick doodles for the quarterly article I do, just to make myself do something quarterly. There are also projects lurking in the workshed. And I really need to get back into writing and/or editing, here... though it's tough to sit at a computer with such nice weather just outside my window.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eagles, wow. That's camera-worthy!

Last edited:

o.Nixie.o

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally taking a bit of a break from nearly killing myself over the weekend. Helped my sister in law move and I need a nap... and some cookies... lol

I'm about 50% finished with my current manuscript and would love to write, but I can't think to do serious things.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Eagles are assholes.

This so needs to be the opening line to a novel - sort of an anti-Thoreau MC

I want to float around in my pool with a fluffy umbrella drink.

Ergh - soggy umbrella fluff stuck to your tongue at every sip... must be a fairly high alcohol content to make that one worthwhile...

I'm finally taking a bit of a break from nearly killing myself over the weekend. Helped my sister in law move and I need a nap... and some cookies... lol

I'm about 50% finished with my current manuscript and would love to write, but I can't think to do serious things.

Eh, sometimes the brain needs a break.

I got a few illos done and some sketching, but my gut decided it wasn't happy with lunch; I don't expect I'll get out to my workshed until I can trust it. Should probably get dinner made and chilling (chicken salad, with apple, grape, chicken, walnuts, and mayo - tastes better when chilled for a few hours.) Then I might chill with a book or an eReader - really ought to push my way through that danged Kindle title to clear it. (The author recently messed up a pop culture reference. If they can't get something right that half a minute's Google search and/or YouTube could unearth, how am I supposed to trust their research on far more obscure topics? And their writing's getting downright sloppy, too.)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
We used to live in far northern California where bald eagles and other wonderful birds of prey abound. Once we watched a bald eagle wrest a fish from a hawk that was flying across a lake. They fought in the air, twisting, and tugging. In the end the eagle dropped the fish, and it fell from a great height. I can still see it. There was also a lake we used to fish where a family of ospreys entertained us. They would glide far above the water, calling to each other. They were great fishermen, and good at bird hunting too. They always distracted me from my fishing, but they didn't distract me from watching out for snakes. The place was crawling with those things.

I guess that's my thought for the day. Maybe later I'll have another one. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Ravioli. That does suck. Hope it works out.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thinking about how to convince my boyfriend that my getting into a fight with an irrelevant stranger, is no reason to abandon me and all we've meant to each other after 6 freaking months :(

That sucks. It's not like you killed the stranger and asked him to help bury the body. (And people wonder why I can't seem to land a boyfriend... ask a guy to hide one murder weapon, and suddenly you're some sort of weirdo. ;) )

The weather took a wet turn again, though it's not supposed to last. We could do with a nice pollen-scrubbing rain, so I'm enjoying it for now. Now I need to get on with my day, which involves more sketching and wracking my brains for logo inspiration. I want it done by the end of the month, so it takes project priority. Later today, someone (most likely me) has to drive Mom to an eye appointment, and probably a store, 'cause there's always a store trip.

Ergh. Would help if I could wake up...

Jeffthulhu

Because takoyaki.
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, just craving *REAL* food. My wife has me on a diet and it's driving me crazy! Plus, we've been doing spring cleaning all day, so I kinda want to put my head through the walls instead of scrubbing them...