AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 266 of 268 FirstFirst ... 16166191216241256260261262263264265266267268 LastLast
Results 6,626 to 6,650 of 6676

Thread: Check In- What Are You Doing?

practical experience, FTW cmhbob's Avatar
    Figured out how to fix the problem on the computer: I had to reset the "embedded controller." No word on my I needed to though. But it works now. Today I'm trying to decide between editing a short story for a contest or editing the Discoveries manuscript.

Back to school.

Also, sauntering back into the forum.
    Vivere militare est.

Thinking about writing. "Arrrgh!"

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    Wednesday afternoon. Tired. Can't sleep - need to save tiredness for tonight. (Slept cruddy last night. Add that to early start, and having to pick up Mom's tabs after work, and it hasn't been a fun day...)

It's sunny or something out there. Can't say I paid too much attention save when the light was glaring through my car windows, revealing how overdue it is for a scrubdown.

Early start at work was partially offset by a half-hour repair delay. I don't even think we're making a dent in the backlog...

Will probably goof off in a game for a while, then get dinner started. (Not sure what I'm doing, but it involves boneless chicken breast in some capacity. Because I have boneless chicken breast in the fridge.)
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

practical experience, FTW thereeness's Avatar
    I bought a crockpot! Now I can make home cooked meals again! And totally cheat because you just throw all that stuff in and it cooks on its own >.>

Off to work tonight where I am going to make myself write something. Even if I think it sucks. Even if I'm not inspired. I don't wanna fall out of the habit of writing everyday. I've had enough of a break, it's time to get back to work.
    Laurine's Literary Lookout: http://laurinebruder.tumblr.com
    Updates every Tuesday with writing tips, slices of author life, and thoughts on books and writing in general.

practical experience, FTW cmhbob's Avatar
    Good deal, thereeness. Be sure to check out freezer crockpot meals. You end up putting the ingredients together in a freezer bag ahead of time so you can just toss a bag into the crockpot. Invest in some crockpot liners too. Saves cleanup time and effort.

I ended up half-heartedly looking at the short story for a bit. Then I decided I should see what the word count is for the contest. It's 4,000 words, and the story is at 6,300. I don't think I'll be able to cut that much. I'm glad I didn't run all the way to the assignment limit, which was 7,500. I've got a blog post that's going to go into the contest though.

Crockpots... sigh... We've had one for a few years, but to use it we need to clean off a spot closer to the outlet. The stuff that needs cleaning off is not mine, and I get my head bitten off by the owner of the stuff for even suggesting it be cleaned off - despite this same person being the one who bought the crockpot for easy meal prep to begin with.

Story of my life...

Speaking of stories, I need to at least open that story file today. Really been dragging; poor sleep really throws me off my game. As does this damned early start. On the plus side, Friday will almost feel like sleeping in. (By showering in the evening instead of morning and by cutting morning 'net time, I actually only have about a 20-minute difference between the two alarms, but it's psychological...)

Meh...

And I have to shop my way home tomorrow.

Double meh...

Away I trudge. Poke at that file. Try to make some progress. May not get it done this week - may have to do more work Saturday on it. (Technically, I believe I have the weekend before a solid week has elapsed since I started, and I may have to take advantage of that. Trying not to let these things linger half-done like I have been...)

After that, my plans extend to reading a bit before bed, then attempting to sleep.
    - Brightdreamer

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."

Wow. So there's a blizzard today, and the regional manager made it clear yesterday he expected me to be in. I live 28.5 miles from my workplace. V actually called to tell me to stay home, it's already so bad to the south that he refused to take his routes today and many other drivers called off also. If it's too dangerous for my drivers, I'm sure as shit not going to risk it either. What a mess.

Pretty good chance we'll be losing power at some point so I'm going to spend my morning wisely.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

Ergh... is it 4 PM on Thursday already?

Weather is cloudy with a touch of precipitation. Saw a nice, subtle sunrise this morning, the undersides of the clouds picked out in pink, though by the time I got anywhere I could've possibly pulled over for a picture it was mostly gone.

Work existed. We've slowly chiseled into the backlog. Tomorrow's normal-time start, so hopefully Saturday can carry us over the top. Just in time for either a breakdown (crane's been throwin' lots of red lights lately - I suspect another blowout in the works) or MLK Day to drag us back again.

(Depressing note: someone at work questioned why MLK Day was a national holiday. I was chewing my tongue to keep from saying something about taking a good, hard look at what's infesting our nation's highest halls before asking whether a holiday celebrating a man who literally gave his life while struggling for racial equality is necessary. I think she wasn't really thinking - more complaining about how holidays mess up our loads - but still... but still...)

Had to shop my way home. The auto checker at Safeway was being very surly to everyone. And I had to hit two stores because Safeway was out of a couple things on the family list. And I still didn't find all of what I wanted - nothing good for stew meat, for instance, and we're closing in on another leftover stew night given the leftover backup.

May kill some time and brain cells in "West of Loathing" while waiting to hear dinner plans. If the sibling goes to her carving class tonight, I'm calling nuke-your-own. If not, it's burger and fry night.
    - Brightdreamer

It's early, and very cold, and I'm getting ready to hit the road. Today gonna be bad.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

Still waking up with Chai tea and Lord Byron.

The day is ahead of me!
    Vivere militare est.

Friday afternoon. Gray and tiring. That's the weather report and the day report.

Long story short: given the chance to snooze in an extra half-hour after two early start days at work, my brain cooperatively woke up before 4 AM and refused to go back to sleep.

Then I had to shop after work. Debating getting myself a new coat, but even discounted more than half, they're a little pricier than I wanted to go. Good brand, so it should last, but still... (Then again, I'm not exactly a clothes horse. I clothes shop maybe twice a year. Spending more than twenty bucks on an item of clothing requires serious, serious thought and/or need.)

Now I'm trying to finish reading a book so I can get my first review of the year posted. Not bad for what it is, though I'd expected a little more out of a few aspects. Haven't hit the finale yet, though, so it still might surprise me.
    - Brightdreamer

Another "fun" 13~ hour day at work. Man, what a mess. It took over 3 hours just to wrangle the paperwork from yesterday...

And my day was topped off by the ops manager begging me to reconsider taking the morning shift, which I've staunchly refused twice before. Honestly...I'm finding I have more reasons to take it than I have to turn it down.

I have the weekend to think about it.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

Write on, write on.
    Too cold... too... damn cold. Other than that, wonderful day.

Later on Friday, about to trudge off to bed after a little spitballing. Too mentally wiped from poor sleep and general family Issues (not health-related, just general people stuck in the same house and contributing unevenly Issues) to do real writing, though fingers crossed I'll get some writing time this weekend.

Stop laughing... it could happen.

Did a little mindless gaming, but my head really wasn't in it, and I got some puzzles that need thinkulating. Mostly just wandered about enjoying the game's sense of humor and random encounters.

Oh, and I did get the first book review of the month posted. So that's done.

Yawning. Off to bed... hopefully to sleep.
    - Brightdreamer

A frigid 4 with 16 mph winds early this morning. Brr. At least the skies are clear and by early next week the predicted slightly-above-freezing temperatures will feel warm.

Getting a slow start this morning but I'm giving myself a little leeway after yesterday's 13 hour shift. I really need to start taking a cue from V, as soon as he's awake he is up and moving in the morning. I usually sit down at the computer and before I know it 3 hours have passed and I'm still in pajamas.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

Saturday morning, and slowly getting started with the day after a nice indulgent snooze-in.

Need to tidy the room up some; I've been slacking, and it's showing. Also need to get back to site transfer stuff and that short story. I fully expect family to interrupt me for a "quick trip" to the stor, though, so I'm keeping an ear out for them.
    - Brightdreamer

Just got done the vast majority of house cleaning. Nearly time to start the reading/writing routine! : D
    Vivere militare est.

Later the same Saturday, and chilling after finishing lunch. (Literally chilling; forgot I turned my heater down when we left for a shopping trip, so the room has cooled off.)

Speaking of, yes, I did get interrupted by a shopping trip. Bit the bullet and got myself that new coat. Even went for white, because I'm tired of dark, drab stuff and a dark, drab life. (Going to hold on to the old one, patch up the sleeve and use it for junk/yard work.) 80 bucks for a coat that was originally 200 isn't that bad, I suppose. And it's a nice coat.

Got a Roku stick for Xmas, and am debating setting that up this weekend. Looks like you have to pay for good stuff; the free channels are mostly the ones I can find online for free, with too many ads. But it was free to me, and might be a nice option, if I ever get opportunities to watch my own TV. (Hasn't happened in well over a year, so why should it start now?)

And now I have to decide if I'm going to productive in the hour before I have to start dinner or if I'm going to continue my Slack-Off Saturday tradition.

Think I'll poke at my story, at least. That's not completely productive, but it's not completely unproductive.
    - Brightdreamer

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Thanks for the warning!
    - Brightdreamer

One word: RASPBERRIES.
    Vivere militare est.

practical experience, FTW thereeness's Avatar
    I had no idea we had a facebook page, but I found it in the server link and have sent a join request

Also, I think I finally figured out why I've been in a slump. It's time. It's time to start revisions on AMBERSHIELD. I feel it in my bones. The WIP has sat for a month, since I finished it the first week of December, and I've already started getting ideas for rewrites. Sadly, I basically have to rewrite the entire thing except for the last act, but I've got a much more interesting story going on, with a main plot and a subplot. Gonna mean a lot more planning though. But at least I finally have something to work on again! Now here's hoping I don't get caught in an endless cycle of rewrites and not do any actual editing (that's happened to me before with my first WIP.)

Everyone who lives on the east coast, stay safe in the blizzard. As for me, I'm wishing they made long johns in big and tall men's sizes, cause that's the only way an amazon gal like myself could ever get in em. -30 wind chills and while I can bundle from the waist up, my poor legs are going to end up frostbit for sure >.<
    Laurine's Literary Lookout: http://laurinebruder.tumblr.com
    Updates every Tuesday with writing tips, slices of author life, and thoughts on books and writing in general.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Why is it so damn cold.... 13 outside ugghhhh
    2018 January Goals:
    1. Start a new WIP (Hopefully a sci-fi/ detective story)
    2. Finish reading Witcher, Time of Contempt
    3. Get halfway through 1st edit of last WIP
    4. Maybe beta read a new project
    5. Make more friends on here
    6. Think of short story ideas

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin T.H.Adams's Avatar
    Fahrenheit or Celsius? If Kelvin, greetings strange and wondrous creature of unknown power.
    Poetry is easy; it's just knowing lots of words and describing things around you.
    The hard part is knowing lots of words and describing things around you.

Will beta read during my free time.
    If you have some free time, can you loan me a minute?

Page 266 of 268 FirstFirst ... 16166191216241256260261262263264265266267268 LastLast