Riding the Scree - RaelWV's SelfPub Thread

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. It helps those of us who are looking toward starting the same journey.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Another month of no promos and no sales, as expected. Am pleased to report that Moore Hollow is actually on the shelf at Tamarack, however. Focusing on The Water Road, aiming for a June release.

Running totals:

Moore Hollow - 37 (23 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
"The Destiny Engine" - 5 + 20 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (20 paperback, 12 eBook) sales, 233 freebies + 152 KU pages

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Another month without promotion, another with no sales. But progress on The Water Road has been swift. I now have an edited final draft, a cover (reveal for mailing list members this week!), and a release date (June 22)! The rest of the trilogy will follow later this year. Plan is - build the catalog, then promote the hell out of it in 2017.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
You do not need an EIN to operate as a sole proprietorship, but it is likely in your best interest to do so. The more you use your own SSN, the more apt you are to be a victim of identity theft, and once thieves get their fingers on your personal information, there are not take backs. It will follow you around and cause you heartache for years.

Also, if you plan to open a business bank account, you will need an EIN, and in some cases, to get a business licenses with the state requires an EIN.

A good rule of thumb, treat your operation as a business. Keep good records and research good business practices at with the Small Business Administration at sba.gov.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
I was out of town for my usual 1st of the month update and was going to let it slide, but I actually had a sale in May! It was only one copy of "The Destiny Engine," but every little bit counts.

Running totals:

"The Destiny Engine" - 6 + 20 KU pages

The Water Road drops on June 22!

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Today's the day! The Water Road is here!

26910050084_afe1e0a223.jpg

More info over at the promo/announcement thread.

:hooray:

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I really like that cover. Best of luck with the release!

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Time for the monthly report, before everybody gets too deep in their long weekend!

Late June saw the release of The Water Road. I did a little bit of promo and got a few sales. My plan is to get the rest of the trilogy out this year, then really press the promotional stuff next year. Still, it's not a bad start, by my standards:

7 sales (all Amazon eBooks), plus 1251 KU pages, which equals about another 3-and-a-third books. In addition I've had a couple of bloggers request the book for reviews and I'm lining up giveaways on Goodreads and LibraryThing.

Running totals:

The Water Road - 7 (all eBooks) + 1251 KU pages

Have a good Fourth, everybody!

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
July was pretty good, considering I wasn't doing any promo (focusing on getting The Endless Hills ready to go). Sold 7 copies of The Water Road (3 Kindle, 4 paperback), plus another 29 KU pages read. Also sold 4 copies of Moore Hollow (all paperback), and a stray copy of The Last Ereph . . ., which was really a pleasant surprise.

Running totals:
The Water Road - 14 (5 paperbacks, 9 eBooks) + 1280 KU pages
Moore Hollow - 41 (27 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (21 paperback, 12 eBook) sales, 233 freebies + 152 KU pages

On to August and the Lewisburg Literary Festival!

Last edited:

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
I'm bending the calendar to my will a bit and reducing August to 30 days. That's because The Endless Hills came out today and I'm doing some promo on it (99 cents) and The Water Road (free!) until Sunday, so I'm going to assign all those sales/giveaways to September. Going pretty well so far, though (The Water Road was at #24 on the free Epic Fantasy chart at Amazon last time I checked).

So, as for my shortened August - this was another month without any real promo, aside from my appearance at the Lewisburg Literary Festival. I sold three copies of Moore Hollow there, but aside from that I only had 24 KU pages read in The Water Road.

Running totals:
The Water Road - 14 (5 paperbacks, 9 eBooks) + 1304 KU pages
Moore Hollow - 44 (30 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (21 paperback, 12 eBook) sales, 233 freebies + 152 KU pages

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
I wanted to do a separate post for this last promo, since it crossed over months and I wanted a place to have the data at my hands if I needed it. I hope the experience is helpful to other folks.

The plan was to release The Endless Hills on August 31 at 99 cents, then run a Kindle Countdown deal on The Water Road for free. I wanted to get a good number of free downloads, but also hoped that the low price on the sequel might drive some sales of it, too.

For the actual promotional stuff I used:

• BKnights “Tweet your kindle book to my book loving twitter audience” ($5) on September 1 for The Water Road
  • BKnights “Promote and market your book to 4800 kindle readers on our website of readers” ($5 plus $5 for mailing list inclusion) on August 31 for The Water Road
  • Bookraid listing for September 3 for The Water Road
  • NewFreeKindleBooks.com listing for September 1-4 for The Water Road
  • My mailing list announcing the deal went out August 31

In addition to those I posted the deal to the “Book for a Buck” thread at Kboards, tweeted it myself a couple of times, and posted on Facebook on August 31 and September 4

The results, by day:

• Aug 31: 223 free downloads, 5 sales
  • September 1: 90 free downloads, 3 sales
  • September 2: 35 free downloads, 0 sales
  • September 3: 44 free downloads, 2 sales
  • September 4: 36 free downloads, 4 sales

Totals: 427 free downloads, 14 sales

We’ll see whether any of the freebies lead to future sale, reviews, etc., but overall I’m pretty happy, particularly with the sales. That’s 5 more Kindle sales for The Endless Hills than I’ve had for The Water Road only a few days in. Now that the price for that one is up to normal ($4.99) and The Water Road has its new permanent price (99 cents) we’ll see if anything moves while I’m finishing up The Bay of Sins.

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome cover! And congrats on the sales. Thank you for sharing your promos and results!! Looking forward to more updates

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Much like last month, I have an event that runs over this weekend and spans months (the Ohio River Festival of Books - come see me if your near Huntington, WV!), so September actually ended on the 29th.

Behind the sales/downloads I had during the promo I sold 3 copies of The Water Road via Kindle, 1 via Createspace, and, somehow, had 1 more free download (I blame time zones), to go along with 191 KU pages read. I also managed 249 KU pages for The Endless Hills. Given that I didn't do any other promo, I'm pleased to have some stats to report at all.

Running totals:
The Water Road - 18 (6 paperbacks, 12 eBooks) + 1495 KU pages + 427 freebies
The Endless Hills - 5 (5 eBooks) + 249 KU pages
Moore Hollow - 44 (30 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (21 paperback, 12 eBook) sales + 152 KU pages + 233 freebies

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Ran another little promo (via BKnights and BookRaid) for Moore Hollow this past week, since it's got zombies in it. That produced 8 Amazon eBook sales. Other than that, the only action this month was 22 pages of KU read in The Water Road. The pattern continues - I don't sell anything unless I promote. Which I guess is a "no shit" kind of revelation.

Running totals:
The Water Road - 18 (6 paperbacks, 12 eBooks) + 1517 KU pages + 427 freebies
The Endless Hills - 5 (5 eBooks) + 249 KU pages
Moore Hollow - 52 (30 paperbacks, 22 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (21 paperback, 12 eBook) sales + 152 KU pages + 233 freebies

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Holy heck - it's already December! That explains the people driving around with dead trees stuck to the tops of their cars. A day late, but hopefully not any dollars short:

No promo in November, so any sales are a surprise: 1 Kindle version of The Water Road, along with 292 KU pages read, plus 3 paperback copies of The Endless Hills.

Running totals:
The Water Road - 19 (6 paperbacks, 13 eBooks) + 1809 KU pages + 427 freebies
The Endless Hills - 8 (3 paperbacks, 5 eBooks) + 249 KU pages
Moore Hollow - 52 (30 paperbacks, 22 eBooks) + 465 KU pages

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Raelwv, thanks for sharing these sales figures. I was wondering if you could tell me what your timeline was for your running totals? Also, I see you mentioned no promos for November, and I was curious if you have any planned for December. I've seen people commenting about how some do promos leading up to Christmas and others only after the 25th when people with shiny new devices are looking to load some content onto them...

Oh, and also, THE WATER ROAD is one of the best covers I've seen in a while. Way to go. Could I ask who did it for you?

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Hi Raelwv, thanks for sharing these sales figures. I was wondering if you could tell me what your timeline was for your running totals?

They start from when my first book, The Last Ereph and Other Stories was published. So, about a year a and half.

Also, I see you mentioned no promos for November, and I was curious if you have any planned for December.

I don't. I'm planning on making a real promo push in 2017.

Oh, and also, THE WATER ROAD is one of the best covers I've seen in a while. Way to go. Could I ask who did it for you?

Thanks! It's by Deranged Doctor Design. I've enjoyed working with them and would recommend.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Happy New Year, everyone! Time to wrap up the numbers for 2016 and look forward to 2017.

Big news for 2016 was that Moore Hollow got accepted via a juried process at Tamarack, while I released the first two parts of The Water Road trilogy. Bad news was that I didn't get the whole trilogy out as originally planned. And, of course, I'm not a billionaire best seller, yet. :tongue

Lessons learned in 2016:
  • If I don't promote, I don't sell. It's a simple as that.
  • Don't set a schedule for releasing a trilogy when you haven't finished the actual writing yet.
  • It's worth paying for good covers. Received lots of nice feedback on covers for The Water Road and The Endless hills, which were orders of magnitude more expensive than my previous books. Worth every penny.
  • I need to work on my in-person sales skills, encompassing an entire trilogy in a couple of sentences, etc.

Numbers for December (a month with no promo):
  • Sold 1 each paperback and eBook of The Water Road, along with 20 KU pages
  • Sold 1 paperback of The Endless Hills
  • Tamarack ordered another 6 copies of Moore Hollow, which means they sold the first half dozen!

Total 2016 sales totals:
  • The Last Ereph . . .: 3 paperbacks + 152 KU pages + 233 freebies
  • "The Destiny Engine": 2 eBooks + 22 freebies (new mailing list signups)
  • Moore Hollow: 12 eBooks + 21 paperbacks + 263 KU pages
  • The Water Road: 14 eBooks + 9 paperbacks + 1829 KU pages + 427 freebies
  • The Endless Hills: 5 eBooks + 4 paperbacks + 249 KU pages
  • Total: 33 eBooks + 37 paperbacks + 2493 KU pages + 660 freebies

Total sales to date:
  • The Last Ereph: 12 eBooks + 25 paperbacks + 152 KU pages + 493 freebies
  • "The Destiny Engine": 6 eBooks + 43 freebies (mailing list signups)
  • Moore Hollow: 22 eBooks + 48 paperbacks + 465 KU pages + 22 giveaways
  • The Water Road: 14 eBooks + 9 paperbacks + 1829 KU pages + 427 freebies
  • The Endless Hills: 5 eBooks + 4 paperbacks + 249 KU pages
  • Total: 59 eBooks + 86 paperbacks + 2715 KU pages + 985 freebies

Wow. I hadn't realized that I'd loosed over a thousand books on the world.

Goals for 2017:
  • Promote every month
  • Get The Bay of Sins released (shooting for March)
  • Expand my geographic range for book festivals, etc.
  • Start my next project (for which I have lots of disparate ideas wandering around)

Yeah, so I'm not a billionaire best seller. But I'm fairly proud with what I've done so far.

Last edited:

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
I have sales to report! In January I took part in a multi-author 99cent promo (everybody's books are collected on one web page, the page is then shared by everybody on social media for a few days). Pleased with the results, especially since it was free. All told for January, I sold 9 copies of The Water Road and 1 copy of The Endless Hills (which wasn't even on sale!).

The last part of the trilogy, The Bay of Sins, is off with the copy editor, so it's on track for release in March!

Total sales to date (note that I've removed "The Destiny Engine," since it's not for sale anymore):

• The Last Ereph: 12 eBooks + 25 paperbacks + 152 KU pages + 493 freebies
  • Moore Hollow: 22 eBooks + 48 paperbacks + 465 KU pages + 22 giveaways
  • The Water Road: 23 eBooks + 9 paperbacks + 1829 KU pages + 427 freebies
  • The Endless Hills: 6 eBooks + 4 paperbacks + 249 KU pages
  • Total: 59 eBooks + 86 paperbacks + 2715 KU pages + 985 freebies

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
Question for ya... How did you get involved with the multi-author promotion? Mostly wondering if you came into it organically (a community you've been a part of for a while) or strategically (someone organizes it, others sign up for it).