Riding the Scree - RaelWV's SelfPub Thread

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Time for the May sales report and, I have to say, I feel like John Grisham - I sold a whopping 3 books last month, one each from D2D, Createspace, and KDP. And I'm reasonably certain none of them are from family members or loved ones. :hooray:

That makes the totals so far:

D2D = 1
CS = 11 (plus 1 via local bookstore)
KDP = 8

Total = 21

Although I nabbed my first D2D sale last month, I'm going to drop out of its channels and go KDP select for the next little bit and see what happens. From what I've read, it seems to be the way to go for first books and I probably should have started there. Oh well.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Hey, things are trending up. Four sales for June, two via KDP and two paperbacks in person at an event last week. So that makes the running total:

D2D = 1
CS = 11
Other paperback = 3
KDP = 10

Total = 25

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Congrats on those sales, rael! Once you start selling to strangers, that's a big win, as far as I'm concerned.

*throws confetti*

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Today my second "book" - actually a short story - went live. I've limited "The Destiny Engine" to Amazon for now. I've found I have a hard time pitching The Last Ereph and Other Stories, if for no other reason that it's hard to answer the "what's the book about?" question when there are ten stories to talk about. Interested to see if one story reaches a little broader audience.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck with the new release, raelwv.

Your self-publishing journey sounds a lot like mine so far. I released my stuff bit by bit on both Amazon and Smashwords, but quickly found that 90%+ of my sales came via Amazon. I finally decided to enroll exclusively in KDP Select to take advantage of the promotions, etc. The results so far are mixed. But I definitely see modest spikes in sales when I run a promotion. Be sure to spread them out, though. I made the mistake of using up my Countdown promo soon after enrolling, not realizing it was a once-in-a-90-day thing. So choose your promos wisely.

Again, best of luck to you.

Last edited:

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
A wee bit early for the July sales report (wife's birthday weekend getaway = no Internet shenanigans for a few days), such as it is:

The Last Ereph and Other Stories - no sales this month, so still hanging at 25
"The Destiny Engine" - 2 sales, plus 2 pages read via KU (if I'm reading the graph right) in the half month it's been out

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Time for the monthly report:

The Destiny Engine: no sales for this month, so still 2 total
The Last Ereph and Other Stories: 3 for this month, 2 paperbacks (one via CS, one via local bookstore) and 1 KDP for a grand total of 28

The big sales event was a complete bust in terms of sales - didn't net me any. It did, however, lead to lots of exposure in various places and helped more than double my number of Twitter followers. Hope that'll pay off down the road.

Time to focus on the novel (Moore Hollow) that come out next month!

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
Thanks for the updates, it's good to see another science fiction author on here! You've inspired me to start my free trial of Kindle Unlimited, so I'll check out your works on there very soon starting with The Destiny Engine :)

Edit: Just flew through The Destiny Engine - a really great short! Enjoyed it thoroughly, and your writing is top notch. Recommended to anyone else here :)

I think it's going to be hard to get sales for a short work (I might be wrong), but I think it will do very well for you as a freebie once you have other titles in the genre to lead people onto. I left a review that will also hopefully get you some more Kindle Unlimited readers, as it's a great pickup!

Last edited:

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Time for the September report. I didn't have high expectations for this month, since I've mostly been focused on pushing out Moore Hollow next Monday (!). I didn't disappoint.

Aside from Interfaced's KU read of "The Destiny Engine" (thank you, BTW), I didn't sell anything else last month. That boosts it's sales to a grand total of 3, with The Last Ereph . . . still at 28.

I ran giveaways on Goodreads and LibraryThing for Moore Hollow, which had pretty good responses. More than 1100 people entered the Goodreads giveaway (one person was in such a frenzy her finger slipped and gave the book a 5-star rating already!), with about 400 of those putting on their "to read" shelf. The turnout at LibraryThing wasn't as good as it was for The Last Ereph . . ., but a higher percentage of the winners actually got back to me so I could send them the right eBook format, so the actual number of units out was still higher. Still don't grok why people would enter to win a book, then not respond when someone tells them they're a winner. :Wha:

On to October!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I ran giveaways on Goodreads and LibraryThing for Moore Hollow, which had pretty good responses. More than 1100 people entered the Goodreads giveaway (one person was in such a frenzy her finger slipped and gave the book a 5-star rating already!), with about 400 of those putting on their "to read" shelf. The turnout at LibraryThing wasn't as good as it was for The Last Ereph . . ., but a higher percentage of the winners actually got back to me so I could send them the right eBook format, so the actual number of units out was still higher. Still don't grok why people would enter to win a book, then not respond when someone tells them they're a winner. :Wha:

When I did a LT giveaway, I just sent people both formats. It saved them needing to email me. I can't say it meant I got more reviews, but it made it easier to send everything out and forget about it.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Did either of you guys have any pirating issues with the LT giveaways? I've hesitated to do one for that reason.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Did either of you guys have any pirating issues with the LT giveaways? I've hesitated to do one for that reason.

No, nothing like that. The lack of reviews is because people don't have to give a review in the LT system, rather than because they're up to anything. Though even if it did happen, pirating is very unlikely to harm your sales. The biggest harm to sales most of us face is obscurity.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Aside from Interfaced's KU read of "The Destiny Engine" (thank you, BTW), I didn't sell anything else last month. That boosts it's sales to a grand total of 3, with The Last Ereph . . . still at 28.

Actually, I went to Empire Books today to drop off copies of Moore Hollow and found out they sold another copy of The Last Ereph . . ., so that's 29 total, which breaks down to:

D2D = 1
CS = 12
Other paperback = 5
KDP = 11

Total = 29

It's like finding a sale behind a couch cushion! :hooray:

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
Nice work - when you're in our situation each and every sale brings it's own little celebration - a very useful morale boost! Keep up the good work, with great writing like yours it's only a matter of time until you find a larger audience. :)

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
October was a big month, personally, as it saw the release of my first novel, Moore Hollow. I am still eagerly awaiting the fame and fortune that flows from such an achievement (snark!). I did a little bit of promo for this one and had a much bigger reach on social media than I did when I launched The Last Ereph . . . back in February. I also had a couple of appearances here at the end of the month that helped, including last weekend's reborn West Virginia Book Festival. The book festival was particularly good for boosting my mailing list. And I was particularly pleased that 2 of the 3 Moore Hollow sales from a bookstore appearance last night were complete and utter strangers.

Here's the numbers:

For Moore Hollow: 12 paperbacks (11 in the flesh, 1 via CS) & 3 eBooks via Amazon (none via D2D)
For The Last Ereph: 2 paperbacks (both in the flesh)

Which makes the totals:

Moore Hollow: 15 (12 paperback, 3 eBook)
The Last Ereph: 31 (19 paperback, 12 eBook)

Now on to NaNoWriMo! :e2bouncey

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Time for the good (?) news for November. All sales were ebooks via Amazon this month:

Moore Hollow - 7
"The Destiny Engine" - 1
The Last Ereph . . . - 233 (free downloads)

I did a promo with BKnights running Moore Hollow for 99 cents and TLE for free. The free promo actually pushed The Last Ereph . . . to #2 in its little ecosystem, which was kind of neat. Aside from that, I was pleasantly surprised that both my Goodreads giveaway winners for Moore Hollow left reviews (brief, but good). And NaNoWriMo went very well!

So the running totals:

Moore Hollow - 22 (12 paperbacks, 10 eBooks)
"The Destiny Engine" - 4
The Last Ereph - 31 (19 paperback, 12 eBook) sales, 233 freebies

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hurray for you! It takes time to find our readers. I'm just starting the long slow process myself. And kudos for a successful NaNoWriMo. :)

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
I usually wait until the first of the month to do an update, but since tomorrow's a holiday . . .

December sales were . . . nonexistent. Thankfully, I had some page reads in KU for Moore Hollow (202), but nothing otherwise, at least electronically (I haven't checked my brick and mortar retailers). Which means my totals for the year are:

Moore Hollow - 22 (12 paperbacks, 10 eBooks) + 202 KU pages
"The Destiny Engine" - 4 + 20 KU pages

On a more positive note, Moore Hollow has been accepted for sale at Tamarack, the WV arts & crafts center. It's a jurired thing, so I'm happy about that.

And my lovely wife is bringing me a brownie and wine. So that helps. :yessmiley

Happy New Year, everybody!
:partyguy:

Last edited:

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
A new year! Surprisingly, similar numbers.

I did a promo via BKnights at the beginning of the month, which prompted all of my Amazon sales. Bottom line appears to be that when I do promo, people buy the books. The numbers

Moore Hollow - 4 eBooks, 6 paperbacks (via Tamarack), 263 KU pages
"The Destiny Engine" - 1 eBook

TOTALS
Moore Hollow - 32 (18 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
"The Destiny Engine" - 5 + 20 KU pages

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
TOTALS
Moore Hollow - 32 (18 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages

Had a meeting with a new writers' group tonight at a local coffee shop/bookstore and found that they'd sold all 5 copies of Moore Hollow I left them and 1 copy of The Last Ereph . . .. So, yet again revised totals:

Moore Hollow - 37 (23 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (20 paperback, 12 eBook) sales, 233 freebies

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
No promos in January (although I did drop prices mid month), which meant, of course, no sales. All I had was 152 KU pages for The Last Ereph (about a whole book). Work continues on The Water Road trilogy.

Running totals:

Moore Hollow - 37 (23 paperbacks, 14 eBooks) + 465 KU pages
The Last Ereph - 32 (20 paperback, 12 eBook) sales, 233 freebies + 152 KU pages