• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carbon Culture Review

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
They run an online magazine and have been advertising for submissions on the forums.

Website
AW Market Posting

They do charge to read submission, though they read for free in January and July. They're a non-paying magazine, but they do brag in their posts that:
We pay contributors to Carbon Culture’s collective cultural record two copies of the issue in which their work appears. Consideration for nomination for various prizes, such as the Pushcart Prize, Best New Poets, PEN/O'Henry Prize, Best American Short Stories, Best American Essays, Best American Non-required Reading, Best American Poetry, and Verse Daily is also given.

I know $2 is not that big a price tag, but before I submit anything, I would like to know if anyone else has had any dealings and what their experiences were.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Looks like a standard small literary magazine, though one not associated with any university. It is actually a print magazine, as well, not strictly online.

A lot of the literary magazines are unfortunately charging for submissions now--to cover postage (or the trouble of printing out/dealing with submissions). Also, that's not so much a brag as it is the standard line with most lit mags: two copies and submission to various awards/other venues (Verse Daily, for example).

I'd only consider submitting during their free months, but the website doesn't really spark my interest.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't submit anywhere which charges writers a reading fee. It's unethical and inappropriate.

PAYMENT
We pay contributors to Carbon Culture’s collective cultural record two copies of the issue in which their work appears. Consideration for nomination for various prizes, such as the Pushcart Prize, Best New Poets, PEN/O'Henry Prize, Best American Short Stories, Best American Essays, Best American Non-required Reading, Best American Poetry, and Verse Daily is also given.

What does that mean? It's unclear and imprecise. If they're going to enter some of the work they publish for various prizes then they should say so; if being published by them qualifies the writers for entry into those prizes then again, they should say so. But such muddy, meaningless writing is not helpful.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
"Consideration for nomination ... is also given"???

Inspire with confidence that does not. Convoluted sentence it is. Guarantee of nomination is not given.

Speaking like Yoda, all today will I.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Old Hack, I'm pretty sure the editors are using shorthand that's common in literary magazine websites they're emulating. In essence, they are saying they'll nominate some of the things they publish for these awards--the Pushcart Prize, for examples, lets each magazine nominate six of the things they've published in the past year. And, yes, the sentence that explains that is a horrible one.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
January 1st is here, which means now you can submit stories for free. This might be one of the few times of year when you want to try your luck. If you really do have a story you think would be perfect for them and you want to add to your list of published stories.

At the very least, it might be a chance to make it easier to get published at a more reputable magazine.