How to Convert e-Book PDF to Print Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
My novel, BAD DAD, is currently in PDF e-book format. (it's currently on Amazon). I now want to have it reformatted for print (Createspace).

How is this done? I'm not much of a techy so mayl need someone to reformat it for me. Any suggestions? Anyone know how much this would cost?

I will also want to make some minor changes.

The e-book PDF has all the most recent changes, so the original word document wouldn't work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SCRIBE LADY

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
CreateSpace has guidelines for gutters and margins and templates for Word for different book sizes. You say you are not technical so maybe that's more than you want to deal with. I know someone who reformats books for CreateSpace for very little cash - like $20 US or something similar. PM me if you are interested.

I have no affiliation with her, she is only an online acquaintance.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You don't "format" books for print, you typeset them.

Good typesetting is expensive. It's a skilled, labour-intensive job. Anyone who refers to the work as formatting is unlikely to realise even half of what's to be done, and is likely to make a lot of mistakes when working on your book so if you hire someone to do this job, be very cautious.

How ever you choose to proceed make sure you get several proof copies and get several people to look them over for you, to make sure you've checked it as thoroughly as you can.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand when you say the PDF has the latest changes. Who made these changes? Are you saying they made the changes directly to the PDF? :Jaw:

I'm just now going through this whole process. I've been working in Scrivener, but I've exported my MS back to a DOCX, because Scrivener is a bit of a pain for the final fine stuff.

I'm using Calibre to convert the DOCX to an EPUB and/or MOBI, which gives me the fine formatting control. I'll be uploading that to draft2digital and amazon for the e-book market.

For createspace, I'm just reformatting the DOCX to meet their requirements. It's a bit tedious, but not technically difficult. You have to know WORD fairly well, and do a number of test uploads, so I can see where paying someone to do it could be worth your while.

Nightmelody

Registered
Reaction score
Creatspace has templates you copy and paste your work into. They also have a template for your cover. But really, cs formatters are not very expensive.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.