Help defining genre. Is it YA, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applicious

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, I have a novel that's a fairy tale rewrite of Prince and the Pauper. Stylistically and content-wise, I think the story is more YA than anything else. It's about girl who's not sure what she's doing with her life, which is sort of a rite of passage for young adults. It's also got romance, a love triangle, loneliness and friendship, things that young people identify with.

The main issue is, my character is 19-20 throughout the novel. This is too old for YA, but I'm not sure if my story is mature enough for NA. So what do I call this thing I wrote? Is it YA, NA, or something else?

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Sounds YA to me. I think if your novel isn't set in a contemporary world, you can be okay. IMO, NA refers more to characters being in college, and YA being in high school, but in fairy tale settings there's a little more leeway age-wise.

Still, if you want to be safe, consider lowering the age to 18?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
With ElizaL. Sounds YA with an older character. Unless their age matters so much to the story, if you lower it you'll probably be right at home in YA.

Although, it's not unheard of to have adults, in adult fiction, going through the same situations. It's just more common for YAs to go through this.

And I don't suggest NA at all. Unless your story is a sexy college romance--the NA market is filled with them at the moment.

Applicious

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I really feel like the age of 19/20 is just perfect for the character. It's the time where you realize you're not a kid anymore, and you get your first sense of mortality. I think that's exactly where my character is. However, I guess for industry standards, I might have to drop the age. Has anyone read a YA book where the MC was older than 18?

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like YA. Remember it's Young Adult, not Young Teens. Young adults are anyone between like 15 to 35 (in my opinion).

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be a really annoying pedantic pest...

I believe it is incorrect to describe YA as a genre (like, say horror, romance, fantasy, etc). I would term it a category. :)

But beyond that, I would agree that your novel has a YA feel, though the age thing does sound tricky. Sorry, I can't immediately think of any YA books I've read with an MC that age - but I'm probably not thinking hard enough!

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Is the story in a historical-like/medieval-ish setting? If not, why so old? Are you sure you couldn't do it with younger protagonists?

Also, it could also depend on the character's/narrator's voice. Does the character sound like a teen, or like an adult or an adult reminiscing?

Adults (literally young adults in their college years) also have those themes (love, romance, love triangles, loneliness, etc), too.

It would depend on that "coming of age" aspect in the plot, I guess. And how the characters handle such issues.

There is a New Adult niche, too, though it could be put into Adult market as well, depending on how it's written.

In the end, it would depend on how the content is written, so maybe posting a bit of it here or getting a beta reader to read it would help. :)

Last edited:

Keobooks

Registered
Reaction score
I'd take advantage of the historical/medieval aspect bunny-gypsy mentioned. Back in olden times, it was very common to get married and start a family in your mid teens, so they can come of age much younger than in modern times. In my fantasy story , my MC is getting pressured to hurry up and get married because he's 16 and most of his friends have married already.

This post-teenage angst that seems to happen during the college years is historically VERY new. It didn't really take off until the 1970s. And remember, pre WW2, most people got married right out of high school. Few folk went to college on a large scale before the GI bill. If you're going for a historical feel, you need to remember that your characters aren't going to be 21st century modern teens and 20s kids.

Also, if it really is set in that time frame, you might reconsider the coming to accept ones mortality aspect. Up until the mid 20th century, people died in their homes instead of hospitals. The family would usually wash, dress and prepare the body before burial. People were very much in day to day touch with the reality of death. Also, younger people died much more often from disease or injuries that are easily treated and cured these days. It wouldn't be unusual for people to have lost several friends or siblings near their age.

I doubt that people were anywhere near as removed from death as teens are today. It wasn't sanitized and taken care of by professionals back then. People likely came to terms with their own mortality much much younger than they do now.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd take advantage of the historical/medieval aspect bunny-gypsy mentioned. Back in olden times, it was very common to get married and start a family in your mid teens, so they can come of age much younger than in modern times. In my fantasy story , my MC is getting pressured to hurry up and get married because he's 16 and most of his friends have married already.

This post-teenage angst that seems to happen during the college years is historically VERY new. It didn't really take off until the 1970s. And remember, pre WW2, most people got married right out of high school. Few folk went to college on a large scale before the GI bill. If you're going for a historical feel, you need to remember that your characters aren't going to be 21st century modern teens and 20s kids.

This is not exactly historically accurate; we have letters and other pieces of evidence that suggest adolescent angst is adolescent angst.

The onset of puberty in young women with inadequate nutrition was delayed compared to today, but that would depend on local conditions.

Peasants married later than wealthier folks because it took them longer to accumulate enough to afford to wed; wealthier folks were concerned about property /inheritance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_European_marriage_pattern

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
My mother said she could see a change come in the 1960s - it was the first time she was afraid of teenagers.

Unpredictabloo

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think a 19-20 yo MC would be a turnoff to a young adult audience. Heck, it might even be refreshing. There are so many stories about 16-18 year olds going on adventures. I remember being 16 and feeling like I was missing out on life because I was already "grown up" and hadn't experienced anything like I read about in books. 19 is very young.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Old thread.

The categorization isn't up to the writer or even the reader. It won't be categorized as YA because no agent or publisher is going to frame it as YA (coming of age). Maybe NA, which can handle college age characters, and maybe straight-up adult. The categories are for shelving and sales purposes; they're shorthand to give readers an indication of what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.