• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hart Literary Management

VJwriter

I found Hart Literary Management in the Hollywood Representation Directory. Can anyone tell me why their listed Web site took me not to Hart Literary, but to a page of links with The Screenplay Agency the first link that was listed? I know from stopping by the Water Cooler that The Screenplay Agency is bogus. Is anyone familiar with Hart Literary?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
VJwriter said:
I found Hart Literary Management in the Hollywood Representation Directory. Can anyone tell me why their listed Web site took me not to Hart Literary, but to a page of links with The Screenplay Agency the first link that was listed? I know from stopping by the Water Cooler that The Screenplay Agency is bogus. Is anyone familiar with Hart Literary?
Hart Literary Management does not seem to be associated with the Literary Agency Group. A Google search revealed they are listed at P&E without recommendation one way or the other. They are signatory of the Writer's Guild of America. And they are mentioned in an article by Skip Press as a legitmate agency.

However, on the same Google search page, there was a Sponsored Link to Hart Literary Management (Expert-Expert.com) which shows two of Fletcher's scams (NYLA and Children's Literary). Interestingly, farther down the page, there is a link to Lukeman Literary Management which also shows another page with Whitmore Publishing and NYLA. Lukeman is certainly a legitimate agent.

My guess is that Hart is in no way connected with LAG but that Fletcher has deliberately associated himself with these agencies by creating the links shown.

Expert-Expert.com is part of DMOZ an Open Directory Project where humans create links. Anyone can become an editor. It would not be too hard to create links that would funnel business from a legitmate agency to one of his.

This bears further investigation.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Whups. I was wrong. If you go to the Expert-Expert link, you'll see that the LAG agencies there are more Google Sponsored links. Fletcher is using Google Ads very effectively there. Still, I wonder if Hart or Lukeman would want to be associated with them in this way.

Maybe I'll ask.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
When Googling on Hart Literary Management, I find a "sponsored link" in the right-hand column, helpfully labeled "Hart Literary Management." That is, however, a just Google-trap:

http://management.expert-expert.com/literary-management/hart-literary-management.htm

The two links on the page are, indeed, to The Literary Agency Group con artists. No indication whatever that they're affiliated in any way with Hart Literary Management. That's just sleazy marketing by whoever put together expert-expert.com, and sleazy marketing by Robert Fletcher.

It's possible that you, or the reference book, typoed the URL and wound up at some other Google-trap.

It's possible that the agency, for some reason that seems good to them, uses Google ads. The Screenplay Agency (along with Stylus, New York Literary, Poets, Children's, and Christian) advertise heavily through Google ads.

Then again, the first link when I Google on Hart Literary Management is this: [size=+3]

warning[/size][size=+2]_[/size]

[size=+1]Agents/*Publishers NOT recommended[/size]

http://www.geocities.com/ebyame/warning.html

What was the URL you used for Hart Literary Management? This one (which I got from this article) comes back as File Not Found.

This list doesn't have a web page, but does give an AOL email address, and a street address in Reno, Nevada.

This list has them as a WGA signatory agency, but with a mailing address in Orcutt, California. Again, no website listed.

The page for Hart Literary Management at Writer's Net is here: http://www.writers.net/agents/185

They note that the email address is invalid. I note that the web address given is again an error 404. That one has the Reno mailing address.

I find this here:

December 2, 2005
Binoir Films has signed an agreement with Prodigital Film Studios, a public company, to begin packaging and producing its slate of neo noir films. David Geertz of Binoir Films discovered scribe Abe Reinhartz through our network. Binoir Films has optioned his script 'Freightliner' for this new slate. Reinhartz is represented by Susan Hart of Hart Literary Management. Reinhartz is a dedicated medical doctor who adds insight to his screenwriting.

How impressive that is I can't say.

We find Susan Hart of Hart Literary Management as a contest judge in 2002.

We find someone represented by Hart with an option in 2001.

What I haven't found:

Haven't found an agency website.
Haven't found a list of produced screenplays.

Last edited:

VJwriter

Is Hart Literary authentic?

The Hart Literary Management Web site is listed in The Hollywood Creative Directory as hartliterary.com. That took me to a list of "related Websites," with The Screenplay Agency topping the list. Others listed were New York Literary Agency, Childrens Literary Agency and Desert Rose Agency. Hart Literary is WGA approved, so why does their listed Web site take me elsewhere. It's a minefield out there! Thank gosh I chanced by The Water Cooler! I'm also adding a copy of "The Street Smart Writer" to my library.

scriptosell

I am represented by Ms. Hart of Hart Literary Management and she's been phenomenal to me. I came to her with two mss, then over the years I co-wrote a feature SP, wrote my own SP, five PSA ads and a short script.

I'm a hard working author and I get behind my agent and my projects by doing some promoting myself and my work rather than leaving all up to Ms. Hart.

One ex. of promoting myself is registering my projects at Inktip. There I had my short discovered and optioned and my two features looked at by dozens in the Industry.

I can say for myself and another client of Hart Literary Management, we are blessed to have this lady as our agent.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to all!

Tina

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Tina, I'm confused. Exactly what has Ms. Hart done for you? Has she sold any of your work?

scriptosell

Hi Aconite!

She proofs, queries, submits my projects to Industry contacts and follows up on all and reports back to me the outcome.

Also, when my meager computing skills fail, she saves the day by getting submision package in order and delivered to proper person.

As for selling my projects, I've had several doors open for me just by having her as agent. In fact, I am waiting to hear from several contacts we've made. Not bad for a newbie no one else would take a chance on. ;)

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Tina. Best of luck with the projects under consideration.

Just to be really clear, Ms. Hart hasn't sold anything so far, but you're happy because she's helped you with your submissions. Is that correct? How is she compensated for the work she does for you, if you don't mind my asking? It's great to have a client of hers here to answer questions. :)

scriptosell

That's perfectly fine, Aconite. ;)

That's why we're here. Let's seee...well, it's more than she has helped me with submissions. She's a great coach and has been able to put my SP's in front of some major players. (Many won't even look at unrepped material). We are waiting to hear from a few as I chat. Hart always ANSWERS her e-mails and calls in a timely fashion and lets her clients know what's up. We never have to chase around for an answer and there's no having to read between lines. She gives it to us straight.

Also, don't know if I noted this, but a more recent success is that my short script, FINAL SALE has been optioned by a CA film institute and the shooting is expected to begin in August. This will be another great "calling card" for me as all these successess help get my name and projects out there.

I should note, Ms. Hart's other client contracts and sales are listed on her website. Compensation she's received from me thus far is postage to cover her mailing costs. That's it.

On a final note, I did my homework before signing with Hart. I searched out her background, asked around, read her contract carefully (glad I refused other agent who's contract was ALL for her and nothing for me) and felt quite comfortable going with Susan. I still am for eventually all those stepping stone sucessess will get me to where I want to be.

Best wishes, all!

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Her website is oddly difficult to find. I can't find any Google presence at all, but it appears to be http://www.hartliterarymanagement.com/ (which I only found by guessing). Only options are mentioned on the page.

I also found a page six years old via the Wayback Machine. At that point, it seems she sold PJ McIlvaine's Teen Comedy ANNUS HORRIBILIS. Further Googling led me to, of all places, Absolute Write, where there's an interview with PJ.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yeh... she didn't actually sell PJ's script. PJ submitted that script herself and let Susan handle the deal once the producer wanted to buy it. And I'm 99% sure that PJ's no longer repped by Susan.

Similarly, the option to Binoir Films she has listed on her site happened because the producer found the writer on Inktip, not through Susan.

I was briefly repped by Susan Hart, and so was another screenwriting friend of mine. I signed with her specifically because I thought she made PJ's deal. The most generous thing I can say is that she didn't charge any upfront fees. I have about three pages of less generous things to say about her.

Among other things: When I got an offer to write a script for a producer, I asked her to write up a contract for it. She told me she never really wrote a contract before; she usually just approved contracts. I asked if there was a boilerplate she could use. Long story short, she sent me this pretty awful document filled with typos-- spelling my name wrong and my script's title wrong. Included a clause that said she would "polish" the script personally. (Why?!) I showed it to my uncle, a lawyer, who called me literally laughing and told me this was the worst-written contract he'd ever seen and it would never hold up anywhere.

I told Susan the contract wouldn't work and asked her to rewrite it. She complained, telling me that it wasn't worth her time to rewrite the contract for the amount of money her percentage would bring her. I told her that it had to be rewritten, that I couldn't sign it the way she had written it.

She went to the producer and said she had other writers who'd work cheaper, and to watch out for me because my dad was a lawyer (he's not) and I'd probably be a pain in the butt to work with. I only knew that because the producer forwarded me the e-mail, saying, "I think you should know what your agent is doing behind your back."

Ya think?

My friend took a trip to LA soon thereafter and met with a producer who was quite candid with her. When she said Susan was her agent, the producer asked, "Why in the world would you sign with her?" and explained that he saw her as a real kook.

From what I can figure from those options she lists on the main page of her site, at least two were a direct result of producers finding the work on Inktip, and the sole book sale she lists is to Archebooks. (Read here for info on Archebooks elsewhere on the Bewares board: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9214 .)

I'm glad you're happy with her, Tina. Hope you understand that I need to present the other side of the story.

Last edited:

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
scriptosell said:
I am represented by Ms. Hart of Hart Literary Management and she's been phenomenal to me ...

One ex. of promoting myself is registering my projects at Inktip. There I had my short discovered and optioned and my two features looked at by dozens in the Industry.
Inktip is a great resource, but you can register your project there yourself - you certainly don't need an agent for it.

Glad that you are happy with your agent, though, Tina.

Mac.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, her page at hartliterary.com went down in 2005 (about the time she was begging for a WGA writer to sign with her so she could keep her WGA status), and hartliterarymanagement.com is expired. No recent sign of her. :Shrug:

heatgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Susan Hart of Hart literary is no longer an agent..just in case people are thinking about emailing a query