8 Year Old Wears Suit, and ...er... this... is.. um.. news, I guess?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I don't know. I think it's pretty common for 4-year-olds to wear clothes their parents picked out. I know I wasn't picking out all my clothing at that age. As long as the parents aren't trying to push a style that the kid dislikes, and are willing to give the child an opportunity to make choices, I don't think it's terrible if they pick out a shirt for the kid to wear and the kid chooses to wear it.

I think it's pretty lame for a kid to be wearing a shirt of a band they've never heard of, if the kids parents don't even like their music.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's pretty lame for a kid to be wearing a shirt of a band they've never heard of, if the kids parents don't even like their music.

I have a Grateful Dead t-shirt I always wore as a child (handed down from my brother) that I liked because it was soft, comfy, and I liked the design and colors. Had no idea it was a even a band t-shirt until many years later.

I'm still not a Grateful Dead fan, but I still like the shirt.

I certainly agree that a 4-year-old likely isn't trying to make any kind of grand statements with their sartorial choices, but I hardly see anything lame about it. :Shrug:

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to my rather feminine face and curvy build, I can't pass as male well even when I really try.

I've gotten a bit too big lately to feel comfortable trying to dress feminine, which is actually one of my motivations for losing weight haha.

That's fine that you don't. I actually like the Ramones, though, so it does seem pretty lame to me.

Fair enough.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Clothes are clothes.

This has always been my thoughts too. I think it's part of why I just don't 'get' fashion. I don't understand why so much emphasis is placed on what we wear. And it's at both ends of the scale - whether it's should girls wear pink right through to is it okay to wear last years Chanel to lunch? It just doesn't make sense to me that people spend so much time and energy on something so...so.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
This has always been my thoughts too. I think it's part of why I just don't 'get' fashion. I don't understand why so much emphasis is placed on what we wear. And it's at both ends of the scale - whether it's should girls wear pink right through to is it okay to wear last years Chanel to lunch? It just doesn't make sense to me that people spend so much time and energy on something so...so.

Haha, that's not what I meant at all... I actually love fashion and makeup and stuff like that. Making deliberate choices about what you wear is great, but it's kind of bizarre when people have decided that certain bits of fabric are "right" and "wrong" for other people to wear.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I like fashion, too. It's an artform and a way for people to express themselves. Trends exist, but they exist in film, music, and literature as well.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting related article: http://www.refinery29.com/2014/12/79896/shiloh-john-jolie-pitt-name-change

Apparently the desire to be called "John" isn't a phase, as the child's name is changed to Shiloh John Jolie-Pitt, and articles are beginning to call the kidlet by a gender-neutral pronoun of "they" rather than he or she.

It's great to see such support by not only Shiloh's mom and dad, but also by the press. I still read "they" as plural, and wish there was a mainstream alternative, but it's a wonderful gesture none the less.