Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question The Fleck Agency (formerly Professional Media Services) (Robert Fleck)

This agent requested my ms. I did research before submitting, and all was above board. I just don't want to leave any stones unturned. Has anyone worked with him, or know him?
    Cuban Southern Belle
    Hooked on Books

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    He's well thought of in Horror circles, FWIW. Most sales are to White Wolf, Lone Wolf, Leisure, etc., which are respectable if not huge.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Any more recent information about him? I just got a request for a partial from him. I'm waiting out a two week exclusive at the moment, so I figured I'd ask you folks what's what.

Still plugging along. Most recent sales are to Wizards of the Coast.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com.../robertlfleck/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

PM page is claiming to be "members only" now, but caches are available (wasn't much on it besides his bio and email). Still racking up sales to WOTC and the like.
    ICAO
    ---------

banned as an incurable tosspot
    If you're interested in working with WotC (not easy to do) this might be a good person to have as an agent.

From his PM page:

MOST RECENT SALES/ FORTHCOMING BOOKS

THE MAN ON THE CEILING by Melanie Tem and Steve Rasnic Tem (Wizards of the Coast Discoveries, March 2008)
    FIREFLY RAIN by Richard Dansky (Wizards of the Coast Discoveries, January 2008)

Two more data points

Robert Fleck agented my 3-novel deal with Del Rey, and he also agented Hank Schwaeble's novel deal with Jove.

-Lucy

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace
    I met him at the SFWA New York Reception in November a year or so ago. Seemed like a nice young man, very presentable. We chatted pleasantly for several minutes. Of course I wasn't looking for an agent, so I didn't ask him about his track record, but he seemed knowledgeable about the field.

If that's any help.

-Ann C. Crispin

Fantasy Writer and Game Designer
    Mr. Fleck requested my partial back in November. He was very polite and indicated a one month response time. Sadly, I still haven't heard back from him. Has anyone else communicated with Mr. Fleck recently? I suppose he could just be on vacation for the holidays.

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    I can't believe I haven't posted to this thread yet.

I queried Mr. Fleck (introduced to him through another author who has him as an agent) 7/2/09 and sat back to wait. On the back of his business card it says:

Please be patient. Responses take anywhere from two weeks to two months.

I ended up giving him three months (10/15/09) before I contacted him to ask about the status of my query. He replied very politely and apologized and said that he thought he'd already responded (it was an R) and suggested another agency that might be a better fit for my novel. Very professional. I'd definitely query him again in the future.

Since he said he'd get back to you in a month on your partial Salaris, I say give him a jingle. Who knows? Maybe he thought he already responded.
    Last edited by AlterEgox5; 01-11-2010 at 08:41 AM.

I sent a follow-up a couple weeks ago (right after Christmas), so I'd rather not bother him again for a while at least. He does seem very professional; I'm probably just being impatient. I'll try again if he doesn't reply in a month or two. Thanks!

I received a professional, personalized rejection letter today. He gave me some good advice on who else to submit to and indicated that he was too busy to take on many new clients. Overall, I thought he came across as very professional in spite of the delay.

requiescat in pace Requiescat In Pace
    I just queried him based on his Publishers Marketplace page.

We'll see what comes of it -- or, not.
    It is with the deepest sadness that I must tell all of you that my wife, Irene Schaft, passed away on Monday, 9 August 2010 from a massive stroke.

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a contribution to Parker Paws, http://www.parkerpaws.org/donate.html a local animal shelter.

Irene's system will only be up infrequently for the next few weeks, and her mail will not be checked regularly. Any messages of condolence can be sent to her husband George at schaft@schaft.com

Irene's blog: [URL]http://sybilsimon.com/[/URL]

Smile Robert L. Fleck

Bob Fleck is my agent. He's great. He pitched and sold a two-book deal for me to Tor Books. (The first of the two books is out in November.) He also negotiated my movie deal with Warner Brothers for the option of my first novel. I know that he currently has a relatively large client list but if you can sign with him you've got an excellent agent.

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Wow James, that's awesome!! He's got my query since 7/12/10. I've got my fingers crossed.

practical experience, FTW Robyn's Avatar
    I've just sent a query out this evening to him. Guess we will see how it pans out.

Has anyone heard from Robert Fleck recently? I queried him a while back and it said his e-mail box was full. He seems to have an active twitter account, but I haven't found an e-mail address associated with it, or any sort of literary agency website for him.

I received this response from Robert last week:

"Due to the passing of owner and founder Janet Berliner-Gluckman, Professional Media Services will not be taking on new clients for the foreseeable future. Notices will be made when that changes."

I've seen comments on querytracker stating the same.
    Words in a novel are like tires on a road trip. Bad tires can ruin the trip, good tires can take you to magical places. But if the tires are jumping up and down in front of the passengers yelling "lookit me!" then the passengers will completely miss the scenery. Words should be heard and not seen. Just my 2 cents.

Find me on Twitter me @RLTDavis !

Has reformed as The Fleck Agency: http://thefleckagency.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Currently closed to submissions

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8