His gay twin is an only child

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Or something or other like that.

Someone put up a billboard with a pair of twins on it. One gay, one straight. The message? Nobody is born gay.

The guy on the billboard is gay.

He is not, however, a twin.

Speaking via Skype, Kyle Roux said he was shocked his image was used. Especially since he calls himself an "out and proud" gay man.

"I was obviously quite shocked, so that why I decided to send you guys an email saying hey, I'm that guy in that billboard," Roux said.

Roux hasn't thought about that photo shoot in nearly a decade. He says the pictures used on the billboard were part of a stock photo shoot he did. Roux signed away the rights and was told the pictures would be used in commercial and corporate ads and brochures.
Thursday morning, friends, family and even Roux's trainer asked if he was featured in the ad, which claimed to show identical twins and the statement, "Nobody is born gay."

It's ironic, says Roux, given that he's not a twin and openly gay.

Epic fail.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love it! I wish he had the money to put up a companion billboard with the facts.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think this demonstrates that at least some of the people with money who want to make gay people go away will say and do what they want with absolutely no regard for fact, truth, or reality.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The really head-slapping part is that, even if you assume that they had used real twins and one really was gay and the other really wasn't, it still doesn't prove their point.

Current theories indicate that homosexuality isn't genetic, but it is developmental. Twins are born with different freckle patterns, different fingerprints; one twin can get leukemia and the other twin be completely healthy. Twins can have different personalities. They are not carbon-copies.

In fact, logically, if they're raised the same way in the same family, and one ends up gay, it seems to me that that indicates that it's something other than a personal choice.

Honest to god, sometimes the mental handsprings that theists do to backfill their rationalizations just boggles me.

Okelly65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think this demonstrates that at least some of the people with money who want to make gay people go away will say and do what they want with absolutely no regard for fact, truth, or reality.
thats always been the case.

as long as all the things they don't like goes back into the closet so they can pretend it doesn't exist and not be tempted by it they will be happy. if they have to lie, manipulate or put their fingers in their ears and chant Na na na all day to make that happen they will.

the above is my opinion based on things I have seen and heard over the years. what follows is the opinions Ive heard all to often. this disclaimer brought to you by the letter O. :D

Remember all poor people and those on welfare are just lazy moocher's who live off the public dime, much like politicians only with out the nice clothes, cars, or political power.

Current theories indicate that homosexuality isn't genetic, but it is developmental.
there is quite a bit of research that supports genetic, as well as some that suggests environment might be one factor as well.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Why does it matter if people are born gay or not?

I suspect the people behind this billboard are trying to argue that being gay is a choice rather than an innate characteristic.

If they can get people to swallow that, then they can argue it is okay to do horrible things to gay people without remorse because gay people are wilfully, stubbornly and perversely making a bad choice.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
And that's the part I don't get, either. I've never understood why the question of whether or not it's a choice had any place in the discussion of civil rights.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
And that's the part I don't get, either. I've never understood why the question of whether or not it's a choice had any place in the discussion of civil rights.

The thought is that if it's a choice to be gay, then it's easier to say it's a bad or immoral choice. If you're born gay, then you have no choice.

It's an absurd conclusion using a ridiculous logic and a convoluted rational, but there you have it.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

I don't think it does.

And to be honest, I don't think it even matters to those who hate the existence of gay people.

I think they think that if they can convince enough people that being gay is a choice, it becomes one of those things they can get away with blaming the victim of brutalization for. It becomes a useful excuse even if they know it to be a lie.

The belief, so far as I can see, is that while people may see attacking someone who is born gay for the unjust and bigoted behavior it is, if enough people can be convinced that gayness is a conscious choice they may tolerate or even cheer on attacks on gay people.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Thinking a little further, it might be a little like the regrettably recurrent mindset that with enough humiliation and misery inflicted upon them the poor will be shamed into becoming prosperous, or at least shutting up and going away.

By this thinking, with enough death and misery visited upon them gays will be shamed into becoming straight, or at least shutting up and going away.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The thought is that if it's a choice to be gay, then it's easier to say it's a bad or immoral choice. If you're born gay, then you have no choice.

I don't see how it's easier. What makes it a bad choice?

It's not a choice to be a pedophile. "I was born this way" isn't what makes something okay or not.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If God made folks gay (born gay) that's what could persuade some folks when normal morality --or the whole point of the rest of the Bible, for that matter-- does not. Made in the image of God and all that. That's why it's such a sticking point to those types of religious folks, imho.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
If God made folks gay (born gay) that's what could persuade some folks when normal morality --or the whole point of the rest of the Bible, for that matter-- does not. Made in the image of God and all that. That's why it's such a sticking point to those types of religious folks, imho.
Yep. Because everybody knows that God is straight and there's a Mrs. God up there somewhere taking care of the laundry, the cooking and the kids so he can get on with the serious business.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmm, irony and disingenuity of the billboard aside, if the religious right is looking for 100% heritability to be the hallmark for a trait being genetic, or biological in nature, then then only a handful of characteristics will hold up to that scrutiny.

Identical twins can actually be different in various ways, because they actually are not 100% the same genetically, and also, the same genes can be expressed differently in different cells of the body (due to random things that happen during early embryonic cleavage, later in the womb, and after birth). If two identical twins have different eye colors (this can happen, by the way), it doesn't mean either "chose" their eye color.

But even if orientation was not completely innate, who cares? A person's orientation doesn't harm anyone else. Why discriminate, even if it turns out there is an environmental or nurture effect, or even if it's pure choice? To put it another way, religion is certainly not biological, yet the right to practice it is protected by our laws.

Imagine a billboard that shows a pair of twins that says, "Bob is a Pentacostal, and his twin is an Agnostic. No one is born Christian!" being used as an argument in favor of amending the constitution so it no longer protects religion.

As it stands, a secular society like ours is not supposed to pass laws based on anyone's interpretation of any religious scripture. What the Bible says or doesn't say about sexual orientation is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score

It's kind of funny that growing up I used to hear (from the fundies in my church) that "all of God's creations are perfect," unless you're gay, of course. For some reason that saying never applied to homosexuals. More reason, I suppose, that they prefer to view it as a choice.

Okelly65

Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of funny that growing up I used to hear (from the fundies in my church) that "all of God's creations are perfect," unless you're gay, of course. For some reason that saying never applied to homosexuals. More reason, I suppose, that they prefer to view it as a choice.

I heard that all the time too, along with... Sex is an evil, nasty, disgusting thing that you should wait and do only with the one that you marry and love.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But did they get an extension cord out and lecture the parishioners about things that are clearly designed to be plugged in in just one way (then demonstrate trying to plug two "male" or two "female" outlets together)? Someone posted about their erstwhile pastor doing this in a thread somewhere, and aside from the stupidity of the analogy, I can't help but feel sorry for the wives of the men who use it. Shows a distinct lack of imagination with regards to sex of any type. Where's that person who tried to stick their tongue in electrical outlets as a kid when they're needed?

Last edited:

Okelly65

Registered
Reaction score
Where's that person who tried to stick their tongue in electrical outlets as a kid when they're needed?
probably in a hospital somewhere suffering from the self administered electro shock therapy of his childhood. :D

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
But did they get an extension cord out and lecture the parishioners about things that are clearly designed to be plugged in in just one way (then demonstrate trying to plug two "male" or two "female" outlets together)? Someone posted about their erstwhile pastor doing this in a thread somewhere, and aside from the stupidity of the analogy, I can't help but feel sorry for the wives of the men who use it. Shows a distinct lack of imagination with regards to sex of any type. Where's that person who tried to stick their tongue in electrical outlets as a kid when they're needed?

When I was in college, some guy told me that "to have sex, you need a tab and a slot, not two tabs or two slots." I was like dude, if you think sex is like putting together your construction set, remind me never to sleep with you,

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

I'm not sure I understand this. If a woman has an electrical outlet, does she even need a man?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If being gay is a choice, then people who hate you are Stalin. If being gay is from birth, then the people who hate you are Hitler.

...because...Stalin killed people who disagreed with him, and Hitler killed people because they were born a certain way.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
When I was in college, some guy told me that "to have sex, you need a tab and a slot, not two tabs or two slots." I was like dude, if you think sex is like putting together your construction set, remind me never to sleep with you,

Reminds me of a guy in college who, when learning that one of our dorm mates was in a relationship with another woman, got a bemused look on his face and asked, "What do lesbians DO in bed?"

One of my male friends answered, "Dude, if you have to ask that, I feel sorry for any girl who sleeps with you."

I'm not sure I understand this. If a woman has an electrical outlet, does she even need a man?

Like a fish needs a bicycle?

Last edited: