• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Skylark Literary

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I think this agency JUST opened, from what I can see. The two agents also seem to have really solid backgrounds (both editors from the big five) but it's the "Creative Consultancy" section that gives me pause. That sort of thing always tends to make me a bit nervous.

Plus, no sales, but maybe I can't expect that, since I'm pretty sure they've only been open a few weeks at the most.

Here's the website:

http://www.skylark-literary.com/

Thoughts?

AlyssaHollingsworth

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a writer signed with Skylark Literary, and I love it!

I work with Amber J. Caraveo. Both she and Jo are very hands-on, editorial agents in every sense. They're great! (I wrote more about my experience with Amber here.)

Worth noting that they have made their first sale (to Macmillan)--you can read about it here. They're a relatively small and extremely thorough agency, so they aren't churning out books rapidly, but I know there are a lot of projects out being sold to publishers currently.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Exciting news! I submitted to them a while back and they were very kind and responsive.

Just sent them another one. Fingers crossed.

tsharpe

Registered
Reaction score
While I haven't worked with Amber in an agent/client capacity, she was the UK editor of my YA debut when she was at Indigo Books. She was an excellent editor with a keen eye and was a wonderful in-house advocate for the book. It was a fantastic experience working with her.

AlyssaHollingsworth

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a great article on Agent Confidential for anyone looking into Skylark (and Amber specifically). Though they're keeping their client list very small and selective, their authors are already starting to debut (Amy Wilson, A Girl Called Owl, coming from Macmillan in January 2017, Simon James Green, Noah Can’t Even, coming from Scholastic in spring 2017, and Em Lynas, Toadspit Towers, coming from Nosy Crow in autumn 2017).

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently signed with Amber Caraveo of Skylark Literary and my experience of working with her has been fantastic. She is very hands-on editorially, which is great for me, and is generally just very enthusiastic, encouraging and creative. My story of signing with her is a long-winded one, but I just wanted to let people know that if you write children's/YA, you should definitely consider submitting to Skylark. As Alyssa mentioned, they are a very small agency, but they have some big sales coming in, and are completely committed to their writers.

Good luck!

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
I'd echo what Leewhowrites says. Though they have not yet accepted anything I've sent them (still hoping) both Skylark agents are super friendly, encouraging and human, which in my experience of querying is something I've rarely come across.

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
I can attest to that... everything else put aside, they are genuinely very nice people!