A cure for cases of "Teh Anti-Gay"?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
It's good to see some scientific support for something that already seems so logically intuitive.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/...hen_gay_people_talk_to_them.html?wpsrc=fol_tw

On Friday, the journal Science published a buzzy new study suggesting that homophobia is more of a minor, curable malady than a chronic illness. For the study, researchers sent gay and straight canvassers into strongly anti-gay neighborhoods and directed them to converse with residents for about 20 minutes about why marriage equality mattered to them. The result: Residents’ support for gay equality increased considerably—and those residents who spoke with gay canvassers retained their pro-equality beliefs nine months after the conversation.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I think a portion of the anti equal marriage crowd just doesn't think about it too much. They think marriage and think the sacrament from the church and a man and woman, blah, blah, blah.

So yeah, having them talk about it in a way where you're not attacking them as bigots will help some.

Some.

I'll say it one more time.

Some.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
It depends on how bad the homophobia is.

Some people are anti-gay because they've been taught to be that way.

Some, I think, are terrified of being hit on.

Some genuinely believe that gay people are going to hell and need to be saved...it's a bizarre form of caring.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think a portion of the anti equal marriage crowd just doesn't think about it too much. They think marriage and think the sacrament from the church and a man and woman, blah, blah, blah.
Some believe that gay marriage means THEIR church and pastor will be forced to host and perform gay wedding ceremonies. I've heard reports of preachers making this claim.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that a therapy for most sorts of "mild" prejudice (mild meaning the non-hardline, fringe haters like the Klan, etc.). It's more a matter of unfamiliarity than real hate. In other words, it's fear of "the other."

A few minutes of interaction, and being shown that the otherness is an illusion, dispels many fears of otherwise non-prejudiced people. They latch on to the familiar aspects and the unfamiliar seems less important.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that a therapy for most sorts of "mild" prejudice (mild meaning the non-hardline, fringe haters like the Klan, etc.). It's more a matter of unfamiliarity than real hate. In other words, it's fear of "the other."

When I went to college, there was a girl in my class who said, "You know what? I met one, and they're really nice!" I thought it was kind of funny, but I was glad it happened for her. I think that once you've had the chance to meet a gay person and see that they have hopes and dreams, just like anybody else, it's easier to believe they deserve to get married and be happy as much as you do.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think that one reason there's been a fairly substantial shift in public attitudes in recent years is that more and more people know someone who is LGBTQ and has had the opportunity to hear and see firsthand how discriminatory laws and institutions impact their lives. There's a snowball effect, because more people being open about their orientation means that more people knowing that they know LGBTQ people, and this means that there's more acceptance, which leads to more people being open.

This isn't going to affect the most entrenched people (and sadly, some of them may become even more entrenched in homophobia as a result), but education and exposure does have a beneficial effect on people who are merely mirroring the attitudes they've been most exposed to or who are simply reacting out of ignorance, misconception, or unfamiliarity.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
When I went to college, there was a girl in my class who said, "You know what? I met one, and they're really nice!" I thought it was kind of funny, but I was glad it happened for her. I think that once you've had the chance to meet a gay person and see that they have hopes and dreams, just like anybody else, it's easier to believe they deserve to get married and be happy as much as you do.

Given my very conservative Christian upbringing, I'd never (knowingly) met a homosexual until I was a freshman in college. Up to that point, I'd been living in the bubble of religious dogmatism that inoculates a person from a broader worldview; one which taught that homosexuals were deviants and sinners and that I should view them with disgust and disdain. That's all I'd ever known.

Imagine my surprise when the first ones I met destroyed those indoctrinated bigotries by being some of the nicest, funniest, most genuine people I'd ever met whom I'm still friends with to this day (nearly 20 years later).

That self-reinforcing, self-perpetuating bubble of ignorance that many people live in is the problem. And, it's not necessarily their fault. They're not all stupid or assholes. They are victims of being born into and/or indoctrinated into a myopic belief system and surrounded by an environment that is designed to foster/sustain that belief system at all costs.

Most of the time, they're trapped in that bubble and they don't even realize it, because that worldview - living in that bubble - is all they've ever known. You have no control over the environment you're born into. That's why I try to look at people like that as sort of victims rather than assume they're shitty people (not saying anyone here has done that. Just making a general point.).

Once that bubble is burst, though, lives are immediately changed.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Sure because when you view a group as ____ people, (gay, black, Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, Star Trek fan,) it's easier to believe what you've been told. But when you meet them and instead of gay Andy or lesbian Sally, they just become people, you often do reevaluate.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What Opty said. I'm an old fart, at 62, and the world has seen a seismic shift in attitude in my relatively short lifetime. The AMA, clergy and legal system all viewed gays as either sick or criminal in my youth, but all three have been soundly smacked down by the reality of interactions in a civil society in roughly 40 years, an astonishing pace of change, viewed historically.

Last edited: