Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!!!

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Isn't this cool!

The Navy announced that it had deployed and fired a laser weapon this fall aboard a warship in the Persian Gulf. During a series of test shots, the laser hit and destroyed targets mounted atop a small boat, blasted a six-foot drone from the sky, and destroyed other moving targets.

“This is the first time in recorded history that a directed energy weapons system has ever deployed on anything,” Rear Admiral Matthew Klunder, chief of naval research, told reporters at the Pentagon. “A lot of people talk about it—we decided to go do it.”

Can they be set to stun? How long until we have hand blasters.

For the record, the USS Ponce shot first.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I wish the article had a little more science in it. Still, it's fairly limited as a weapon, as what you're generally doing is generating heat, so you'd have to pick your targets in order for it to be effective. Hull of an inflatable craft? No problem. Armored hull of another warship? That tickles.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Love the headline, Vince. And what's really amusing is that the weapon fires multiple beams that converge on the target, not entirely unlike the Death Star's planet killer.

At any rate, here's teh Wiki article, with links to sciencey articles.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read about Millennium Challenge, a Persian Gulf war game, an actual engagement in that region would end pretty much like the Battle of Yavin, with an American aircraft carrier playing the part of the Death Star.

So this is quite appropriate!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
From what I've read about Millennium Challenge, a Persian Gulf war game, an actual engagement in that region would end pretty much like the Battle of Yavin, with an American aircraft carrier playing the part of the Death Star.

So... our aircraft carriers have an undefended Achilles Heel exhaust port that will be exploited by our enemies? ;)

Seriously, though, it's kinda neat seeing sci-fi come to life.

Okelly65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
its a free electron laser, (solid state) basically using the same system as research particle colliders. it can use variable power settings to change its functions and the fact that its a light speed weapon means that if it functions correctly no missile or aircraft can evade it, at least till countermeasures are developed and deployed.

Last edited:

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this the same administration that said it wasn't feasible to build a Death Star?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

New and exciting ways to kill people are always cool in my books.
Gah! I really hope that's sarcasm.

I see nothing cool about this at all. Another way to kill. Whoopie. I guess since it's mega-expensive and only our military can afford it, it's A Good Thing. It can be used to Slay. The. Infidels.

Personally, I can't wait until they've miniaturized it down to handweapon size, and I can find plans on the internet for my 3-D printed version. :sarcasm

Reaction score
Both the new laser and electronic gun cost pennies on the dollar when compared to missiles and smart bombs. The heat generated would fry sensitive electronics.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
And things like this are probably the only reason that I hate science.

Seriously? We need to invent new ways to kill each other? Creating cars and atomic bombs and global warming aren't enough? Damn people who create unnecessary weapons and damn the people who sell them. And damn the military-industrial complex. There, I said it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, lasers are a better defensive weapon than most - lasers are faster than missiles, and missiles are pretty flimsy, so being able to zap missiles is useful.

Also, lasers can be used to accelerate starships and communicate long distances!

So, while I'm usually pretty against the military industrial complex, at least lasers are fairly multi-use, unlike...say, a broadsword.

Can't launch spaceships with swords.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! I really hope that's sarcasm.

I see nothing cool about this at all. Another way to kill. Whoopie. I guess since it's mega-expensive and only our military can afford it, it's A Good Thing. It can be used to Slay. The. Infidels.

Personally, I can't wait until they've miniaturized it down to handweapon size, and I can find plans on the internet for my 3-D printed version. :sarcasm

Do you think the NRA would back it? I mean, on the one hand it's a new and exciting way to kill at a distance. On the other hand, the Constitution says nothing about our right to bear laser guns. ;)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I wish the article had a little more science in it. Still, it's fairly limited as a weapon, as what you're generally doing is generating heat, so you'd have to pick your targets in order for it to be effective. Hull of an inflatable craft? No problem. Armored hull of another warship? That tickles.

Perhaps but the intention with an even stronger laser is to get explosive spalling to occur. Heat a point so that it expands rapidly. Because it has nowhere to go but out, it either leaks out or explodes in the hole it is boiling in. In the latter case, a sufficiently explosive burst would have more success in cracking the armoured hull than a projectile. That said, they are working on naval rail guns which might have more penetrative success with less power.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
And things like this are probably the only reason that I hate science.

Seriously? We need to invent new ways to kill each other? Creating cars and atomic bombs and global warming aren't enough? Damn people who create unnecessary weapons and damn the people who sell them. And damn the military-industrial complex. There, I said it.

I agree.

Having said that, I'm still glad it's the Americans that have access to this new weapon, instead of Russia or China.