Introduction to a Non-fiction book - What to include?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levibrackman.com
Hi all

How long should an introduction to a non-fiction book be? What should it include? Does it need a story? What is it that makes the introduction a winner?

I know that the introduction should tell the reader what the book is about and what is in it for them. However what is the most effective way of doing this?

Thanks so much in advance,

Levi

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I don't know that there's a "right" answer for your questions Levi. In my mind, an introduction gives the author a chance to address the reader directly, in a less formal manner. It can be used to give the reader a "peek behind the scenes" at how the book came to be. You could explain how you became interested in the subject and the type of research you did - sort of laying out the background for what's to come.

I don't know if you've found a publisher yet but if/when you do, the editor assigned to you will help you flesh it out if need be.

Good luck.

boblou

Introduction to a Non-Fiction book - What to include

Where do you put the introduction? Does it go behind the table of contents or ahead of it? Where does the page numbering start? In reviewing books, it seems like there is no positive standard, thus some confusion exists. Thanks for any reply.

Ashleen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AshleenOGaea.com
Re introductions, if they're functioning as prefaces they might be page-numbered with small Roman numerals; otherwise I think they begin on page 1. (On the other hand, my experience has been that publishers want the ms. submitted without page numbers, which solves the problem neatly unless you're self-publishing, in which case you can number the pages as you like.)

Sometimes a preface explains the history of the book, while the introduction consists of a superficial (in a good sense) review of the contents, and/or to provide any background info readers will need that won't be explored significantly in the text. If your agent or editor thinks what you've labeled an introduction should be called/used as something else, they'll let you know.

Put the book together the way you think it ought to be. You yourself will revise when you've got a completed draft to look at, and the editor will probably make suggestions too.

Hang in there!

Ashleen

Status
Not open for further replies.