• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chart House Press

lisefrac

Registered
Reaction score
During PitMad yesterday, I got a fave from Chart House Press:
http://charthousepress.com/

From what I can dig up, it seems like they are billing themselves as a "hybrid" press, with trad-published authors and self-published authors that they "assist" in some way. This, coupled with the general lack of a web presence, makes me a little suspicious.

I've literally scoured the web looking for anything about them. I searched this forum in many different ways, and didn't find anything. (Although given my prior experiences, a thread for them probably exists somewhere and I've missed it!) I looked over Writer Beware. I went back through Twitter feed--they only have 113 tweets, which tells me they're relatively young. I even did a whois lookup, but that only told me they have a private domain, which is not all that unusual. (I do, as well).

Anyone else know anything about them?

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I got a fave from them too, and turned up pretty much the same info you did. I had a little interaction with them on Twitter yesterday, and got this info:

"We've been around for about 1 1/2 years, and gaining momentum. I'd love to answer any ?s you have!" and "We have three contract types: traditional, hybrid, assisted self-pub. Royalties from 30-60%."

In response to me saying that I didn't see much info out there about them via Google: "It's good you did some hunting! We're very involved in our local writing community, but we're working on expanding our presence."

Me: "don't see any romance in your roster currently. Is that still a genre you are looking to acquire?" (my novel that they faved is a romance)

Chart House Press: "Yes it is! We signed our first romance author last week. "Left to Forever" by @roevalentine comes out 02/2015."

So now I know more than I did. Posting this in case it helps.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Shrug. I'll see where they are in two years. #PitMad is hella fun to watch, but I'm very skeptical of many agents/publishers who show up there.

Agreed. This was my first time participating, and I started hyperventilating when I started getting stars. Then I started Googling and got slightly less excited. Though I did end up with a couple of good prospects, so I call it a win.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Think of PitMad as a speed-dating party with a lot of people you don't know. You get an intro to some interesting folks, but you also need to do your research.

I like start-ups. I've also been screwed over by some of them. If you like them, and they offer, it's still a good idea to only commit work you can afford to lose.

lisefrac

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for adding that, Jeneral. I saw that when I was perusing their Twitter account, but didn't add it here.

Yeah, I think I'm not going to be jumping on this any time soon.

Ouranosaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to know if any other info about them. Also got some interaction during #SFFpit. Asked for pages, but not certain its worth it if they're very small/hybrid.