The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [YADS] YouShelf

[YADS] YouShelf

These guys just sent me a spam tweet, "inviting me to self-publish with them" then filed me under "invited authors," an honor I probably share with the approximate population of a small mid-American city.

They're billing themselves as a pay-as-you-read subscription site. 100% royalties through 2016...so that's a thing.

Their Wordpress blog could kinda use an editor.

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Oh....dear...

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
    Their Wordpress blog could kinda use an editor.
    No kidding. From their blog:

The power of mobile Internet is Ė it gives choice and flexibility to readers; it lets the high quality content owner to be the real king. Be a wise king, make right choice.
    To the tune of "We Three Kings" :

You wise king, self-publish a book
    How to get the readers to look?
    Try subscription
    For your fiction,
    Get it on Kindle and Nook.

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Marian's poem FTW. Best fisk I've seen today.
    WIP: "Seasons of Hope," 1356, Cornwall

Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST now available, Desert Breeze
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, releasing in April, Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Are all these latest dodgy scams coming from overseas, or are Americans growing more functionally illiterate? Either case gives me teh sadz ...
    John Robinson (formerly Cameron Bane ... RIP)

practical experience, FTW Asha Leu's Avatar
    With the traditional $-per-book sales model, readers need quite some research to decide whether to buy a book. It pushes away many would-be readers who simply donít have time for such research, and those who donít like the guesswork of buying a book upfront.
    Yes, all that horrible, tiring research always makes me think twice about buying books. You have to go to all the trouble of reading the blurb, flicking through the first few pages... maybe even resorting to truly strenuous work like looking the book up on Wikipedia or reading reviews and "LookInside" on Amazon!

Many readers reduce to the safe bet of following the crowd and only buy highly endorsed books, leaving many great stories not properly found.It doesnít have to be this way.
    Oh, thank god. Just thinking about all those stories I've not properly found yet has been keeping me up at night. Like most avid readers, I can just never find new books to read, and I certainly don't have an constantly growing backlog of unread books weighing down my bookcase.

YouShelf offers a much simpler and effective way
    Awesome, let's hear it.

Ė we let readers start reading instantly & pay as they read, at cost of a few cents per thousand words Ė a no pressure price you decide for your readers.
    Oh. You mean like what I can do for free using "LookInside" on Amazon or in physical bookstores?

By removing the need to purchase the whole book upfront & giving readers the full control to pause & resume reading anytime, YouShelf enables readers to be*much more open-minded and adventurous to try out new stories. It gives the opportunity for your story to truly shine and appeal to a much larger audience!
    And if the quality of writing in these stories is as good as it is on your blog, I'm sure they're going to find an enormous audience!
    Last edited by Asha Leu; 12-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.

I'm seeing a lot of suspect publishing/marketing/display sites from overseas, many which are so transparent I don't even bother reporting them here. Apparently, the Philippine and Indian markets are overflowing with dodgy publishers. I wonder if Tate and Publish America outsourcing 'editors' was a cause or a symptom? They certainly seem to have spread their business model.

But I sadly suspect that American gullibility is on the rise, too. I'm seeing more multi-level marketing schemes, which seem to target the same demographics as vanity publishers.

In this case, I wonder if the principals either don't know or care about all the other display sites that have come and gone.
    Last edited by Filigree; 12-05-2014 at 06:27 PM.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Handsome servant of a redhead Gilroy Cullen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    In this case, I wonder if the principals either don't know or care about all the other display sites that have come and gone.
    Paraphrase:many would-be scam artists who simply donít have time for such research
    Links: My Writing Blog | My Flickr Attempt | Personal Blog

Braving SYW:
    Poetry Crit

A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.

One thing I always wonder about these "pay by the amount you read" systems...I am that most loathsome of readers, one who, at about a third of the way through the book, will frequently flip to the last page to make sure it's not a horrible tragedy or (worse) a cliffhanger.

Do these sites think I've been to the ending, ergo I have read the whole book, or are they logging number of pages visited? If I check a footnote or a bibliography, does my "amount read" leap forward?

Inquiring minds are only vaguely curious, but it keeps coming up as more of these services come along.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    A bit more info about YouShelf:

Domain Name: YOUSHELF.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1526620179_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
    Registrar URL: www.enom.com
    Creation Date: 2008-11-01 01:53:31Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-11-01 01:53:31Z
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Registrar IANA ID: 48
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4252744500
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: JINGXIN HUANG
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street: 844 LEMOS LANE
    Registrant City: FREMONT
    Registrant State/Province: CA
    Registrant Postal Code: 94539
    http://www.sitetrail.com/youshelf.com
    Jingxin Huang is also the president of Childroad Inc, a company providing children's audiobooks in Chinese:
    http://www.crunchbase.com/organization/childroad-inc