• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Literary Fiction Book Review

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
These folks followed me on Twitter, and I had a look at their website. They run a contest for literary fiction. Anyone with $50 to spare and an English language book can enter, and writers can submit as many books as they have $50's to spare. The judges are volunteer readers enlisted online. There's no prize for winning, as far as I can tell. The site also runs a review service for literary fiction where writers can (for $90/ month) rent a page posting the review and buy links. In the About Us section,there are no names, just a mission statement about their passion for literary fiction.

I'm sensing a passion here, but not so much for fiction. What say you?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I got a question about this service a little while back, and had similar concerns. To me, it reads as if most of the reviews are written by the same person--so I'm a bit dubious about their claims of having "staff."

Note that the awards program includes no actual prize!

The site is registered to Phillippa Royal, who is also associated with Regal House Publishing, which describes itself as "an artisan publishing company with an express interest in literary fiction and historical fiction" and has a tiny thread here. Phillippa's name doesn't show up on the Regal House website, but here it is at the Florida Dept. of State Division of Corporations. Hmmm, could Phillippa be the same P.J. Royal whose Killing the Bee King is reviewed by Literary Fiction Book Review, and who just happens to be Regal House's only published author to date?

Regal House doesn't say anything explicit about charging fees, but I can't help wondering, given that "Author Services" is one of the tabs on the website.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Good find, LittlePinto! The name of the editor, according to the blog post, is Jaynie Cox. That's a somewhat distinctive name, but generates just one page of Google results, all to do with Regal. No photos I could find to compare with this one of PJ (Phillippa) Royal.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Tw account is gone and home page is borked. The subpages are still there, though, showing last reviews posted in April. No other activity after announcement of Book Award winners in June. Which is also last post to FB.