AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718

Thread: The Bent Agency (Jenny Bent)

Has semi-colon; will use it! jtrylch13's Avatar
    Queried Brooks Sherman with YA Post-Apocalyptic on 10/16/14. No response and website says to re-submit if you don't hear, so I did on 1/29/15. Received form R on 1/29/15.
    Represented by Valerie Noble at Donaghy Literary Group
    Red Dawn + Xmen
    (YA SF) WIP
    THEY CHOSE THE STARS
    (YA Sci-fi) On Submission
    I HAVE NO NAME (YA Post-apocalyptic Survival) - Sitting on top of the trunk, afraid to go in . . .
    Serra Craft and the Keeper of Wilhelmina's Treasure (MG Fantasy) - Trunked

Facebook Pinterest Blog Twitter

Write, write, and keep reading stephen andrew's Avatar
    Queried Beth Phelan in November. Had a full request one week later (12/3).

Personal rejection received on (3/20) with a couple comments as to why.

Nice personal interactions all the way.
    Twitter: @stephenandroux

THE LINGERING SHADOW - YA sci-fi/fantasy complete

Running with the Bordeauxs - YA contemporary, in-progress

Bode Marvellus - MG sci-fi, in-progress

Full req

Queried Beth Phelan with YA contemporary on April 6.

Full req on April 7.

Fingers and toes crossed.

MG/YA Author and Playwright Wizera's Avatar
    Queried Gemma Cooper on 7/28. Although I got back an autoreply that she wasn't accepting queries, she sent me a full request on 7/30. Very polite, very prompt. I am a little concerned though. I queried her on an MG, but she felt it was more YA. I'm not sure if that's a strike against me or not...

All I know is I would LOVE to work with her.
    "Life's like a movie, write your own ending..."
    ---
    https://www.facebook.com/puller.writes

I've had a similar thing happen with an agent re: YA/MG, and I'd say you should let the agent define the category. They are the one who is going to be selling it, after all, and if they think they can sell what you wrote as MG as YA, then they probably can (and have a reason to). When you talk with them, you can ask them for specific thoughts on the manuscript.

Anyway, good luck!

Nonfiction author
    Geez, I am confused.

I queried Gemma Cooper after reading this on her Bent Agency bio page: "For non-fiction, I'm interested in history and science, but want very accessible books with an obvious hook."

Then I get this auto-reply email from her saying she got the submission, but in it she warns, "I am a children's literary agent, so do not represent adult genres for adult fiction or adult non-fiction. Queries for all adult manuscripts will be deleted unanswered."

So which is it, Gemma? You can't have it both ways.

Sounds pretty definitive that she doesn't want history/science nonfiction when she says she does want history/science nonfiction.

Agents, I tell ya. (At this point the tiny little Self-Publishing Obi-Wan on my shoulder is saying, "See? This is not the droid you're looking for... trust in the Self Publishing force, Luke,....")

= = = = = = = = = = = =

UPDATE: Just got an email from Gemma. She apologized for the confusion on the website. Basically, I scan agent bios and try to carefully ascertain if they do serious nonfiction, as in history. Hers mentioned science, history, nonfiction. So I queried. But then I went back to her site and noticed that buried in the fine print in a left-hand column, it says no nonfiction and she's totally childrens-books-only. She definitely needs to clean that up for poor authors. Anyway, confusion clarified, and I've taken her off my list (and me hers :-)
    Last edited by onthefence; 09-20-2015 at 07:51 AM.

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
    Geez, I am confused.

I queried Gemma Cooper after reading this on her Bent Agency bio page: "For non-fiction, I'm interested in history and science, but want very accessible books with an obvious hook."

Then I get this auto-reply email from her saying she got the submission, but in it she warns, "I am a children's literary agent, so do not represent adult genres for adult fiction or adult non-fiction. Queries for all adult manuscripts will be deleted unanswered."

So which is it, Gemma? You can't have it both ways.

Sounds pretty definitive that she doesn't want history/science nonfiction when she says she does want history/science nonfiction.

Agents, I tell ya. (At this point the tiny little Self-Publishing Obi-Wan on my shoulder is saying, "See? This is not the droid you're looking for... trust in the Self Publishing force, Luke,....")

= = = = = = = = = = = =

UPDATE: Just got an email from Gemma. She apologized for the confusion on the website. Basically, I scan agent bios and try to carefully ascertain if they do serious nonfiction, as in history. Hers mentioned science, history, nonfiction. So I queried. But then I went back to her site and noticed that buried in the fine print in a left-hand column, it says no nonfiction and she's totally childrens-books-only. She definitely needs to clean that up for poor authors. Anyway, confusion clarified, and I've taken her off my list (and me hers :-)
    It is my guess from her description that she will accept non-fiction geared toward children or young adults, but not toward adults. Oops, read your update. As you were!
    Last edited by Chumplet; 09-21-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Missed something

Sadly, things didn't work out with Gemma. But she gave me some really useful feedback, which I incorporated into a new draft.

Queried Molly Ker Hawn yesterday. Got a full request within a few hours. Once more into the breach! Or something less cliched!
    Last edited by Wizera; 03-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    ---

I received an offer of rep from another agency. I wrote to let Molly know and she emailed me back, asking to talk. Whatever I end up doing, whoever ends up repping me, I have nothing but great things to say about this agency.
    ---

Anyone else having problems getting to their website? Neither my phone or computer will pull up the page today.

Sick and pale with grief. StoryofWoe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle_91 View Post
    Anyone else having problems getting to their website? Neither my phone or computer will pull up the page today.
    Same on my computer. Just a blank white page.

Update: It's working now.
    Last edited by StoryofWoe; 08-10-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    Website (Probably NSFW, depending on how your place of work feels about girl butts and boy nipples. Now with free erotic stories.)
    Instagram (I mostly post pictures of clouds, food, flowers, and furbabies.)
    Twitter

“There are two ways to reach me: by way of kisses or by way of the imagination. But there is a hierarchy: the kisses alone don't work.” ― Anaïs Nin, Henry And June

I take it John Bowers have left the agency now? Had him on my query list from the March 2017 new agent alert but his Twitter bio has changed and he's disappeared from the agency site. His Twitter page still has pinned tweets about clients though, and his last tweets before disappearing were about #PitMad.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

I HAVE AN AGENT OMG OMG OMG OMG

Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

Quote Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
    I take it John Bowers have left the agency now? Had him on my query list from the March 2017 new agent alert but his Twitter bio has changed and he's disappeared from the agency site. His Twitter page still has pinned tweets about clients though, and his last tweets before disappearing were about #PitMad.
    Per QT he's with Sanford J. Greenburger now.

Quote Originally Posted by zmethos View Post
    Per QT he's with Sanford J. Greenburger now.
    Hmm, weird, he's not on their site. Thanks ZMethos - I think I'll hold back on this one until clearer sub guidelines pop up.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

I HAVE AN AGENT OMG OMG OMG OMG

Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718