• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Bent Agency (Jenny Bent)

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
OK, I checked the threads and didn't notice anything so.....has anyone ever heard of or had dealings with Jenny Bent of Trident Media? She's requested a partial of my chick lit. any info would be helpful, thanks.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
That's excellent news, because Jenny is terrific. In fact, you just reminded me-- she offered to do a little Q&A session here. :) I've heard nothing but wonderful things about her and she has a very good track record. So, congrats!

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
oh, cool. I hope she likes quirky humor :D

Since I posted my query on the SYW board and fixed it up, i've gotten three requests for partials and two requests for fulls on that manuscript. This site rocks!

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
That's great news! She wasn't interested in my paranormal mystery.

Ditto--this site rocks! Thanks Jenna

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the good wishes - I have all fingers and toes crossed she likes it and requests the full ;) But I am really encouraged to have come this far, and a lot of it is due to the tips/help that i've gotten from all the wonderful people on this board!

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll say it again...THIS SITE ROCKS!:)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there!

I had a tiny bit of dealings with Jenny Bent myself. Sent her a paper query, heard back from it about 4 months later. Sent the partial, and then her assistant (who is super nice) contacted me and asked me to rewrite the partial. I did, and sent it off, along with the full manuscript (per their request). A couple of months later, I got a response saying that Jenny really liked it, but her list was pretty full and my story was a bit 'darker' than what she would like to represent, so she passed me to another agent in house.

The other agent asked for rewrites as well, and then, unfortunately, passed on my brilliance. ;) But the minor dealings I had with Jenny (mostly with her assistant) were that she is a super-nice lady...just busy. :)

Good luck! Hope this helps you with trying to figure out response times. :)

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Irysangel said:
Hey there!

I had a tiny bit of dealings with Jenny Bent myself. Sent her a paper query, heard back from it about 4 months later. Sent the partial, and then her assistant (who is super nice) contacted me and asked me to rewrite the partial. I did, and sent it off, along with the full manuscript (per their request). A couple of months later, I got a response saying that Jenny really liked it, but her list was pretty full and my story was a bit 'darker' than what she would like to represent, so she passed me to another agent in house.

The other agent asked for rewrites as well, and then, unfortunately, passed on my brilliance. ;) But the minor dealings I had with Jenny (mostly with her assistant) were that she is a super-nice lady...just busy. :)

Good luck! Hope this helps you with trying to figure out response times. :)

I appreciate your feedback - and you actually answered one question that was floating around in the back of my mind. Would an agent ask for a rewrite if they thought the work has promise!
If she thinks it could be saleable with a rewrite, I'm more than willing to comply!
I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. Like you said, so far all my dealings have been with her assistant, Victoria, who seems supernice!

ricknaub

Good agencies

Hello all and thank you for making it possible to weed through all the biased info out there and ask point blank questions. I have a questions about agencies. How are these two: Trident Media and Ashley Grayson agency? They have both asked for my book and I want to make sure everything is good with them first. I know it's a long shot anyway but I should check them out. Thank you all for your time.
Rick

ricknaub

Have you heard anything about either one or just no bad things about them? I'm still pretty knew and boy, everyone on the bad list loves me!

ricknaub

Do they get angry if several agents are reading the work? Again thank you

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
Rick,

Just to clarify, there is a Trident in D.C. that is not reputable, and a Trident Media Group in NYC that is very reputable (I'm a client of theirs and couldn't be happier).

As long as you haven't agreed to an exclusive with either of these agencies, they shouldn't care if multiple agents are reading your work.

Grommet

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
grommet said:
Rick,

Just to clarify, there is a Trident in D.C. that is not reputable, and a Trident Media Group in NYC that is very reputable (I'm a client of theirs and couldn't be happier).

Grommet

I had trouble from Trident Media Group (NYC) back in December/January -- I email queried the agent (Scott Miller), he jumped up and down to get my manuscript on exclusive the same day he got the query. I gave him a six week exclusive, didn't hear anything even after a "reminder" mail. Right after the expiration, I called his assistant, she said he hadn't gotten to it. Then still nothing from him a month later. I finally signed with another agent, and mailed him to let him know the manuscript was no longer available. Again, not even a word back. Maybe he's a "big dog" sort, but I was not impressed. That sort of behavior toward writers is arrogant and unprofessional.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Jenny Bent, electronic submissions to

06-21-2006, 09:35 PM
nachonaco_Grippers
Board fanatic

Jenny Bent - I know she's legit...
------------------------------------------------------------------
But can I submit to her electronically?
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Why would you want to?

Even for agents who say that you can submit electronically, I'd still submit hard-copy.
06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
nachonaco_Grippers
Board fanatic

My dad doesn't believe in sending anything hardcopy, and I need to use his printer..
06-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Popeyesays
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachonaco_Grippers
My dad doesn't believe in sending anything hardcopy, and I need to use his printer..

Put it on a disk and take it to Kinko's. You won't get anywhere by bucking what the agent or editor wants to get. Some want e-mails, some don't. Some want snail mail, some don't.It's just like formatting according to what the editor wants, sure you can ignore him, but do you expect him to take the book if you do?

Regards,
Scott
06-21-2006, 11:51 PM
clara bow
Postpartum

Yes, you can. Here is the submissions page for Trident:

http://www.tridentmediagroup.com/submission.html

and here's Ms. Bent's page:

http://www.tridentmediagroup.com/jennybent.html

I don't know about Ms. B., but I e-queried one of Trident's other agents and got a request for the full an hour later. A week later, by email, I'm asked to incorporate some revisions and send my ideas for sequels, by email. No offense, but that's why I would want to submit electronically.
Yesterday, 06:24 AM
Toni1953
Desperately Seeking Agent

Yes, you can query Jenny Bent via e-mail. I've done so.
Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Sassenach
Inexplicability Assessment

Quote:

Then why does he have a printer?
Yesterday, 10:29 AM
nachonaco_Grippers
Board fanatic

My mom needs it for stuff she can't email (like invoices for her business).
Yesterday, 10:51 AM
Kasey Mackenzie
Blonde & Bookxum

I'd recommend offering to pay for the paper and/or ink. If you have a job that shouldn't be hard, or if you can't get a job try bartering extra chores or get a lawn mowing or babysitting gig. Assuming of course that your father's concern is how much it costs for paper and ink.
Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Sassenach

Quote:
My mom needs it for stuff she can't email (like invoices for her business).

Is your father an agent or some sort of expert on submissions?
Yesterday, 10:58 AM
nachonaco_Grippers
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassenach
Is your father an agent or some sort of expert on submissions?

No, but he thinks he is.

I keep telling him that snail mail is still preferred.
Yesterday, 11:09 AM
Sassenach

Go to Kinko's.
Yesterday, 11:11 AM
nachonaco_Grippers
Board fanatic

Yeah, I think I will.

Isn't it 5c/pg?
Yesterday, 11:27 AM
rugcat
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Isn't it 5c/pg?

Copying is cheap. Unfortunately, they charge a lot more for printing from a disk.
Yesterday, 11:36 AM
nachonaco_Grippers
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcat
Copying is cheap. Unfortunately, they charge a lot more for printing from a disk.

Any idea what the exact rate is? Or will I be able to find it online?
Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Sassenach

You can find anything online.

Also, where I live, the public library allows patrons to print up to 10 pages per visit on their computers. See if yours has the same.
Yesterday, 12:00 PM
Popeyesays
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcat

The Fed Ex Kinko's in Oklahoma City do NOT charge extra for copying from disk. Check with your locals.

Even if they usually DO charge, ask them what they would charge for manuscripts - in large quantities the shop might cut you a deal. I copied a 317 page manuscript and a 212 page manuscript and a half dozen single sheets for a total after tax of $37.00 and change, that was the regular $.07 a copy they charge on the do-it-yourself machines.

Regards,
Scott
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
aadams73
Rebel without a clue

Jenny Bent has just done a Q & A over at romancingtheblog.com:

http://www.romancingtheblog.com/blog/?p=659

She discussed what she is looking for and all kinds of other useful bits of info.
Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

You may be able to buy an inexpensive, no-frills printer of your own for about the same price printing out your MS at Kinko's would cost.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried JB on one book, which she replied to saying she wanted to see more of my work -- I'm sending the other one she requested tonight. This is the second request I've received from her, but the last one was only a partial -- and I like how I've been exchanging e-mails with her (rather than her assistant, like last time) :)

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Say, that's great news Toni--congratulations! As a side note, if somebody--you know hypothetically speaking--was a Beta reader, and they read the whole thing, some hypothetical work or other....and then later that guy, if that Beta reader even was a guy, found out that it was Chick Lit that he had just read....anyway, would that guy have cooties now?!?

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
All this is detracting from Toni's accomplishment. Pay no attention to the guy running to the clinic, it should all be about Toni. Congratulations Toni--hope your work hits print soon!