• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Bent Agency (Jenny Bent)

MichaelP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.portablemagicblog.com
If you're sending a hard copy, most people like (or did when hard copy was popular) to put name (or both names) and title and page number on the running header. This helps if someone drops the hardcopy and pages fly every where. It also leads to the file with your contact information in it.

If you're sending an attachement, I'd at least put all that on the first page. Some people don't like page numbers for these.

Or you could just email her and ask.

Oh, and congrats!

Stlight

Thanks -- I emailed, and now I'll wait... Better to get it right!

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I hope she's maybe a little faster with my query -- but then, isn't that what we all hope?

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jenny 4 days ago :)

This obviously hasn't been a very long wait at all by any stretch of the imagination but (to go slightly off topic!!) I'm finding that I very much prefer agencies which send you even an automated email to let you know that they got your query and how many days/weeks you can expect to wait before you hear anything.

Mild rant concluded lol :Soapbox:

Thank goodness we have this forum to share our various experiences with each other so you have some idea of what you can expect from various agencies...

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
I queried on 7/29/09 and haven't heard anything back--yet. Glad I checked in here to see that I have plenty of company. Anyway--

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, waiting three months just to hear they didn't like your first five pages sucks.

erin_michelle

Foreshadowing Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Long time lurker, finally decided to registered. :)

I queried on July 22 and received my R on August 27th.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Well, I'm excited to say I got a Full request off my July 17th query on Monday...

I'm hoping the wait won't be too long.

BTW: For those of you who got requests, did the reader say to you to let her know if you got an offer before you signed?

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Well, good for you Juneluv12! That's the kind of news we like to hear.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Good luck, Michael & Juneluv!

I just requeried her after reading on her blog that anyone who queried her in April and didn't get a response, should resend. I wonder if I'll get a response this time!

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for your Erin. I sent off my query to Jenny the beginning of the month. Still waiting to hear so we can wait together. ;)

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm excited to say I got a Full request off my July 17th query on Monday...

I'm hoping the wait won't be too long.

BTW: For those of you who got requests, did the reader say to you to let her know if you got an offer before you signed?

How exciting, good luck! I e-queried Jenny on Aug 27th so good to have some idea of her response times. Keeping everything crossed for you and for you as well Michael!

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with the Jenny Bent Agency has been weird.

I e-queried her on Aug 16th, and received a rejection on Sep 3rd, but it was one of the nicely worded ones:

Thank you so much for writing me about your project. As I get up and running I find I am a bit overwhelmed with queries, so I apologize for the delay in responding. I read and consider each query carefully and while yours is not exactly what I am looking for, I would certainly encourage you keep trying. I know your work is important to you and I am grateful that you wrote to me.

Then I received a request for the first ten pages from her assistant, Connie, on Oct 6th, asking me to attention it to her. I thought there might be hope somewhat, until I received a rejection again, worded in the same way, from Jenny today.

I assumed there must have been a mix-up between her assistant and herself, but being rejected twice is no fun. :(

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Vermillion that is def weird... Did you send the first ten pages to the same email you got the r from?

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Then I received a request for the first ten pages from her assistant, Connie, on Oct 6th, asking me to attention it to her. I thought there might be hope somewhat, until I received a rejection again, worded in the same way, from Jenny today.

I assumed there must have been a mix-up between her assistant and herself, but being rejected twice is no fun. :(

Sorry to hear that, Vermilion. :Hug2:But it sounds like the assistant liked your idea, and that's always a good sign. :)

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I would think so. I wrote her off at six weeks.

Karen Dionne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karendionne.net
I email Jenny occasionally because of my Backspace conferences, and so I happen to know that Jenny's had a lot of trouble with her server over the past few months. Her webhost tells her it's most likely because of high volume (she gets over 100 queries a day!). Some queries were deleted, and others got duplicated - sometimes more than once (which is probably the reason for Vermilion's double rejection). I know she feels really badly about the confusion. She's hired more interns and is switching servers this week, so her response time should get back to normal very soon.

Karen Dionne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karendionne.net
If you got a confirmation that your query was received, I'd give it a couple more weeks, knowing she's fallen behind. Then if you do resubmit, be sure to mention the date of your original query and the reason you're sending it again so she knows you're not just being a pest. Good luck!

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Vermillion that is def weird... Did you send the first ten pages to the same email you got the r from?
Yeah, I did.
Sorry to hear that, Vermilion. :Hug2:But it sounds like the assistant liked your idea, and that's always a good sign. :)
Thanks, budgie. At least I can try to comfort myself with that, lol.

Good luck to those of you still submitting.
I was just hoping instead of receiving a second form rejection from Jenny (I don't know if she read the first ten pages), I could hear from her assistant, and if Connie liked it, maybe she could get Jenny to read it.

Arquebus

Registered
Reaction score
I just got the form eject from an Aug 20 query. I think now would be a good time to query, or requery her.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
If you got a confirmation that your query was received, I'd give it a couple more weeks, knowing she's fallen behind. Then if you do resubmit, be sure to mention the date of your original query and the reason you're sending it again so she knows you're not just being a pest. Good luck!

Do I take this to mean one always gets a confirmation from Bent that the query was received? I'm pretty sure I never got one. So, you know, maybe I should re-query...