The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
christmas-presents_zps0e3496f2.jpg

Attention, all ye writing lads and lasses!

There's a chill is in the air, lights are strung throughout the town, and shoppers are clamoring over one another in panicked delight for deals at the local market. And that can only mean one thing: It's time for....

THE THIRD ANNUAL SEKRIT SOLSTICE SCI-FI/FANTASY STORY SWAP!

giphy_zps6ffdf85b.gif

I can't NOT post this gif.

That's right, gang, we are once again at the threshold of the greatest event in human history*!

For those who have not participated in the SS-SFF-SS in the past, this is a writer-focused word party wherein folks gift stories to their fellow authors based on prompts provided by the giftee. Please review last year's SS-SFF-SS Thread to get a feel for what's involved.

That said, because NaNo just finished and the holidays are soon upon some of us,
we decided to give folks enough time to rest before jumping back into the story-making process. As such, we're aiming for a delivery date around mid-to-late February. This not only helps kill time during the Dark Ages (Jan-Mar), but…actually, that’s about it.

Basically, the gist of the event is this:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19269-1381439343-6_zps3279d370.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-794-1381512597-5_zps3742c7d6.gif

psych-shawn-gus-fist-bumps_zps3f0ae4bf.gif

Not this:

Shocked_reaction.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19222-1381440891-37_zps2c071692.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7768-1381438965-19_zpsa53d213b.gif

If this sounds like your kind of playground, here are the rules and such.

The Rules and Such:

1) There are two primary ways of participating: RECEIVING and GIVING. See Rule #6 for The Beta Option.

First, let's talk about RECEIVING.

Signing up to RECEIVE a gift means signing up to GIVE a gift. No exceptions. Since the spirit of this event is giving, you ask for treasures, you have to give treasures. The Sign-Up List of AWesome** is located at the bottom of this post.

2) When you sign up to RECEIVE, please include a prompt that provides parameters for your gift. This can be anything: a word, a quote, an author name, an idea, a theme, etc. Just give your gifter a direction in which to run.

Also, please specify themes/topics that you are okay with/not-okay with, i.e. boo to violence, sex, swearing, gore; yah to kittens, marshmallows, and smexy emo teen vampires.

Unless otherwise specified, gifters will assume all bets are off.

tumblrm4lfjvat1e1rw6n2a_zps32147968.gif

mwahahaha

Example:

Golly, CM, this sounds like the greatest event in human history! Of COURSE I’ll participate. Sign me up to both give and receive.

Prompt: I'd like a light, humorous Sci-Fi-Fant-UF-Western-Zombie-Erotica-Self-Help story, please. Nothing dark or with gratuitous violence/smexy times. Kittens a plus.

I am willing to write anything, even smexy emo teen vampires***.

While the above is (kind of) a joke, please keep in mind that broad/vague prompts tend to give your gifter more latitude. That said, it's your prompt, so if you really WANT a light, humorous Sci-Fi-Fant-UF-Western-Zombie-Erotica-Self-Help story, by all means, ask for it!

Also, I'd read that.

Final Prompting Note: If there are topics you absolutely don’t want to write about, please include that as well. Similarly, if you're both GIVING and RECEIVING and a prompt really excites you, rep me and I'll try my best to
accommodate you. Otherwise, it’s fair game for me to assign you to a prompt.

But CM, what if I don't want to RECEIVE a story, but DO want to GIVE one?

3) I'm glad you fake-asked, fake participant! Should you so desire, you may absolutely sign up to GIVE a gift, but not RECEIVE one. If you’re the benevolent type that loves to give and give, I’ll forward you a copy of my Wish List. I’ll also hook you up with a giftee. Please let me know if you want to give a story in general or for a specific prompt that inspires you so I can match you appropriately.

4) If there is someone you don't want to write for, no matter the reason, please rep me with your request. I will do my best to honor it.

5) Once the sign-up thread closes, you'll have approximately 6-8 weeks of writing time to create your masterpiece. As always, if you hit a snag or have questions/concerns, you can contact me via the e-mail that I'll send your prompt from. Or you can reach out here on AW. Either way, please keep me in the loop and I'll do my best to assist you.

6) The Beta Option: This is the tangential way to participate since beta volunteers are always welcome. If you're not interested in giving or receiving, but would like to play as a beta, let me know via Rule #10. Just don’t use this to your advantage when we open the guessing thread! Authors may also seek out betas as they desire.

7) There is no limit to story length. We’ve seen everything from 2k to 20k. A good story is a good story, so don't fret the word count. Just the deadline****.

8) When it’s time to deliver your story to me and my team of Story Elves, please make sure to include a 200-400 word section (pasted directly into the e-mail) that you feel best represents your tale of wonders. I’ll use this for the guessing thread. For those unfamiliar, here is a link to last year's Guessing Thread.

9) The author of the story owns the story. The prompt is merely a motivating tool, but does not transfer ownership of the story to the giftee in any way. Everyone who participates in this event agrees to this.

10) To ensure you have read ALL THE RULES, including this one, please rep me (on this post) a statement that says you have read and agree to all the rules AND that you swear to give your gift by the deadline. Please also provide an email in the rep, even if you've played in the past, so the Story Elves and I can send you your gift when it’s time. Addresses change from time to time, so I don't want to send prompts to the wrong folks.

I also ask that you please avoid PMing me. My inbox is stuffed with messages as far back as 2010 that I'm in the process of cleaning out.

Okay_wtf_reaction.gif

No, seriously, I'll do it. Eventually.

Here ends The Rules and Such.

The Timeline of Excellence:

December 1st: Sign-ups open. Masses flock to this thread. Hope reigns supreme.

December 21st*****: Sign-ups close. Late-comers reap a harvest of sorrow.

December 25th: Assignments are...uh...assigned. Hooray! Presents for everyone!

February 14th-ish February 28th-ish: Stories due-ish****** to moi. (aaaawwww....Valentine's Dahurrrrrrrrrrk!)

February 15th-ish: March 1st-ish: Stories delivered to giftees. Guessing Threads open in SYW. Stories are read. Friendships are forged. Joy spreads through the valley and there is peace.

February Somethingth March Somethingth:We crown this season's Supreme Guessinator who lords over all of us with her/his story-guessing might.

All hail last year's winner: TAMaxwell!

Waynes-World-Were-not-Worthy_zps5edd8c18.gif

TAM ruled fairly and with a gentle hand, but will this season's winner do so as well? Only time will tell.

Personal Note: This is hands-down my favorite writing event. There’s something magical about writing specifically for another person using their prompt because it often takes you outside your comfort zone or helps you explore a genre you never considered before. The more people who participate, the more fun we have, so feel free to tell your friends, family, kids, cats, or even that strange neighbor who mows the yard in nothing but a sheen of sweat and a smile.

And now, without further ado....

The Official Proclamation:

The 2014-2015 SS-SFF-SS season is now officially open!

Let's get this party started!

will-and-carlton-dancing-fresh-prince-of-bel-air.gif

The Sign-Up List of AWesome:

Name: | Both Give and Receive(B)/Give Only(G)

1) TAMaxwell: B

Note: How fitting that last year's Supreme Guessinator is the first one in?

2) aliwood: B

3) ShadowFlame: B

4) tianaluthien: B

5) Bobo The Bard: B

6) Sage: B

7) eyeblink: B

8) SianaBlackwood: B

9) Sian: B

10) zanzjan: B

11) hillaryjacques: B

12) Friendly Frog: B

13) tjwriter: B

14) Marlys: B

15) AshleyEpidemic: B

16) amergina: B

17) Hoplite: B

18) Tamlyn: B

19) Lillith1991: B

20) mrsmig: B

21) Muppster: B

22) Katrina S. Forest: B

23) tiddlywinks: B

24) Blinkk: B

25) CobraMisfit: B

26) Albedo: B

27) CheG: B

28) phantasy: B

29) PEBKAC: B

30) Layla Lawlor: B

31) Michele AKA Twig: B

32) Niccolo: B

The Beta Options:

1) Little Anonymous Me: BETA ONLY.

2) Ari Meermans: BETA ONLY

[the sign-up list is still lonely. it only wants to love you. won't you let it?]

ORGANIZER'S NOTE: It's easier to list what I need from folks, so I'm putting everyone in the Sign-Up List of AWesome and what items are missing. I've also moved Beta-ers to their own list and will do the same if/when we get Givers Only. That helps keep the list neat.

*individual experiences may vary. Void where prohibited.

**see what I did there? See?! Aw, never mind.

***except, I really don't want to write smexyemoteens. Please don't make me.

****don't fret too much. That deadline date is carved in orange Jell-O.

*****that's right, gang, we're giving you all a FULL THREE WEEKS to get in on the fun. Let the streets fill with joyful hordes!

******as always, the due date will shift if folks need more time.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yes, yes, all hail me. :D

It's the mooooost wonderful tiiiime of the yeeaaaarrr :heart:

Anyone who is wondering whether you should or not, just dive in. You're in for a frenzy of fun and creative writing for a captive audience.

I'm in for giving and receiving.

Prompt: (I'm gonna be boring and repost my prompt and profile from last year, because I still want my animal companion and I still write the same stuff) I'd like to read something with an animal companion of the non-verbal variety (with the exception of parrots or other birds that can "talk". They're okay. Especially if they're rude.) I like comedy SF/F (think Terry Pratchett), but I'm open to most genres with a little touch of the unusual. Please no smexytimes or extreme gore/violence.

I can write SF/F with humorous tones, I cannot write smexytimes or horror. I am willing to write shiny emo teen vampires if it comes to it. Just don't expect it to be serious.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Aha, TAM answered my question before I asked it. (For the record, it was: how do we send you prompts?)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
It's here!It's here! The thrills, the spills, the roar of the greasepaint, the smell 0f the crowd.

Phooey! I hope they shower soon.

I would like to both give and receive a story. I like the quirky use of words and ideas and a little slapstick always helps. I'd prefer to avoid violent and erotic themes, both in writing and reading, and I can't write factual science for toffee*. I like a story in a sort of Douglas Adams / Terry Pratchett mode, with a side order of Jim Butcher and a garnish of Tolkien. But honestly, if you can make me smile and think and it doesn't include any of that, I wouldn't mind, a good story is a good story.

Feel free to include all, any or absolutely none of the following:
cryptic crossword
typewriter
bicycle
Daffy Duck
thermometer
tree saw

on a theme of creativity.

I feel like I've written an essay already!

*Am prepared to demonstarte but I don't recommend it.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Woot! Am I first for the sign up? Second? third? No matter.

I'm signing up to receive (and of course give.)

So I'd like to have a story involving an unlikey hero who uses an unlikely weapon. You can go light or dark with this although I don't care much for smexy times or heavy humor (humor-ez is okay though). Setting and genre can be anywhere, anytime anyhow so surprise me.

Whoops forgot to add what I'll write. Not so good with heavy humor or smexy times but I'll do about anything else.

*rubs hands together in anticipation

So is it Christmas yet?

Last edited:

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!! :e2woo:

I'm so excited.

Ahem. I am signing up to do both.

I would like: something fantasy set in winter. Could be the season or it could be an Arctic-like place that sees only snow and ice all year round. With a strong female character. Note that this does not necessarily mean she has to have a sword (although these are always cool).

Bonus points for including:
-the Northern Lights (or whatever you choose to call them in your world. Those pretty things in the sky.)
-a Snow Queen (but please for the love of saints NOTHING AT ALL RELATED TO "FROZEN")
-wolves
-the colour red

Please no excessive violence/gore or smexy times.

I write: fantasy. I'm not good at horror and I don't write smexy times or lots of violence/gore. Since we're on a theme, I will write sparkly vampires if I must but I doubt it will be serious. You've been warned.

Last edited:

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Yaaaaayyyyyy it's up it's up it's up!

I am signing up to do both give and receive.

PROMPT: SFF that leaves me with something to think about. Any degree of hard or soft, doesn't matter, and I don't mind if you put your characters through all kinds of hell as long as it comes out all right in the end (or at least, implies that it will be all right in future). Please no zombies, werewolves, vampires, etc. I prefer MCs who aren't teenagers, but it's not set in stone -- a good story is a good story! I don't mind romance, but please no gore, horror, erotica, or heavy humor. Optional: If you'd like a more concrete thing, bonus points if it's set in an enclosed space (i.e. not a planet) during a prolonged trip, like a space elevator, infinite tunnel, shady corner of cyberspace, etc. but this is not required.

Hard and fast rule: Have fun!

GIVE: I can write anything in the science fiction, fantasy, fairy tales, steampunk, science fantasy, etc. range. I'm pretty bad at romance, but I'll take a whack at it. No gore and sex, though, so most of my stuff is PG-13 or under. My work sometimes has touches of humor or sometimes not, and is typically set somewhere unusual, though I'm not limited that. :)

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I love to give presents almost as much as receiving them (sometimes more), so sign me up for both.

Prompt: I prefer teen or younger MCs. Not a fan of explicit sex, and horror, including any type of zombies, is not really my thing. Since these are due on Valentine's Day, please include the theme, "first love," in whatever form you like.

I don't write horror or erotica. I do better with contemporary fantasy and SF, but I occasionally branch out into secondary-world fantasy. I tend to write teens or pre-teens, but I have been known to write adults too. My sense of humor when writing tends to be more Whedonesque.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, to give and receive.

To give: I'll try most things, but I'm not really up to very hard SF or trad fantasy/sword & sorcery. You're more likely to get a genre blend from me, possibly at the slipstreamy/literary end of SF/F/H. Tends to be darkish and while my stories aren't without humour I can't do out-and-out comedy.

To receive: Either: Please could I have a story on a musical theme - any type of music or a particular piece or song, but it has to be vital to the story in some way. Or: Please write a story in which a religious festival or holiday plays a vital part. Any religion, whether a real-world one or a fantasy/made-up one, will be fine, but I'd rather not receive a pro-religious or anti-religious tract. For either, any setting or flavour of SF or fantasy, subtle or overt, will be fine.

Last edited:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'm in, signing up to both give and receive.

Prompt: I loved my gifts last year, so I'm going to ask for the same thing again - include goats in speculative fiction. Please don't hurt the goats.

I write: just about anything, although I try not to let animals get hurt and you probably don't want to see my attempts at those 'smexytimes'. Expect my characters to get hurt a lot and probably figuratively* dragged through hell, but come out all right at the end.

*Except for that one time it was literal.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I wish to both give and recieve.

I would like an MC with a power that is normally considered to be not much more than a party trick signing up to whatever version of the magical police you can think of.

And as always, I would like MC to be stuck with someone that they don't like (in some kind of relationship - maybe they're room mates, whatever), and I would like some kind of evolution in that relationship over the course of the story. I don't mind violence or smexy times, as long as there's a point to it, and there's no on-page torture. Not a fan of on-page torture.

I will write most things, though I don't ever really do epic fantasy or horror. My limitations on what I will write are the same as above - okay with mostly anything, but if you decide you randomly want a torture scene, I'm probably not your gal. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Must resist! Must... resist...! Drat, too late. I'm in.

Giving: I'm pretty much willing to try writing anything. I'm no good at all at YA or romance, but I'm willing to give the latter a go; erotica is a no (trust me, we are all happier that way.) My stuff tends to have a sense of humor to it, even when very dark.

Receiving: I'd like something that's not set on a planet (or at least not a conventional planet) that involves doppelgangers. Oh, and an emu.

No explicit sex or graphic violence either way, I'm afraid.

(ETA: oh, and please don't hurt the emu. It would make me sad.)

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Seduced by the SSSFFSS, once again. I'm in, for both.

I'm happy to try to write anything, with the exception of gratuitous violence or erotica.

I'd love to receive sci fi in space, or underground, or inside of another living organism. Or something with a dragon - it doesn't have to really be a dragon, dig?

Thanks for doing this, Cobra! I know it's a ton of work, but it's crazy fun and good for ye olde writer brain.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Memememememe! Ahem, I mean: in for giving and receiving. :)

prompt: An long-time extinct species that turns out to be not quite so extinct. Doesn't have to be an actual extinct animal, a real animal, or one from this particular planet or world. No horror, grimdark or graphic sex, please.

giving: I generally write light SF&F, including modern fantasy and/or humourous, but that's not a must. I am willing to experiment with other genres (if expectations are held low). No horror, grimdark or graphic sex, please.

Thanks for organising, Cobra! (I have been wondering, do you ever read all the sent-in stories?)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'll do ALL THE THINGS!!!!

Receiving: I like snarky, sassy heroes and heroines who strive to do the right thing. (think Kate Daniels and Harry Dresden.) I'm mainly a fantasy reader, but I won't say no to science fiction. I'm pretty wide open to humorous, gritty, smexy times, violence.

Giving: I generally write fantasy. Last year I had to try my hand at being funny, which I think I did okay at. I don't know that I would feel comfortable writing erotica, but I could try my hand at a smexy times. Some violence, but I don't know that I could do the gore.

You're the best, CM!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for both giving and receiving!

Prompt for you: Two people are trapped in a museum on a major holiday. There is a kitten. The kitten will not be harmed. You can do what you like to the people (although I don't care for super-graphic violence). There is also a ghost, or the suggestion of one. Take it and run in any direction you like--action-adventure, horror, romance, erotica, SF, fantasy, or wherever your mind wanders.

Prompt for me: I'm easy. I'll write anything. If it's something I don't usually tackle, I'll give it a stab anyway.

And...I just realized my rep to CobraMisfit didn't include my email, and I can't rep the same post twice. Cobra, if you get a chance, would you pretty please post again in this thread so I can fix that?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And...I just realized my rep to CobraMisfit didn't include my email, and I can't rep the same post twice. Cobra, if you get a chance, would you pretty please post again in this thread so I can fix that?

You got it!

Also, you all are great. Last year we had about 20 sign up. This year we're already at 15. The more the merrier, so feel free to coerce convince your friends to join the fun.

ETA: Once I have you all added into my Official Unofficial Spreadsheet, I'll rep you back that you're good to go. For those who have not gotten a rep from me yet, it'll likely be tomorrow since I left the Official Unofficial Spreadhseet at home.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Oh! I could do one of those...

Also, I'm in for both.

I can write anything except nasty icky torture porn.

I'm always in the mood for a fantasy set in the "real world" with some nice subtle magic and maybe a darker feel.

Last edited:

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in!

I'm signing up to do both give & receive.

Giving: I typically write SF/F, with the SF tending to be a bit on the harder side and the F tending to be dark (but not necessarily GrimDark). But I'm open to new things. Please, don't ask me to write erotica. It'll be for the benefit of all parties involved.

Receiving: I'll take anything with a Spartan (doesn't have to be the Spartans of Ancient Greece) and his/her wolf/cougar/monster/rabbit/etc. sidekick.

Looking forward to this, thanks CM for organizing!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've missed any small print about selling my soul, so I'd love to take part!

I'd like something not too dark, maybe with a hint of romance, that involves a waterfall in a forest, long steps down, and an otherworld you can't quite see.

I'm happy to attempt almost anything, but if you try to get humour out of me, it won't be very humorous. In fact, let's say no humour. I write more fantasy than science fiction.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Sign me up Cobra!

Giving: I'm willing to write anything but torture porn and Erotica (I've never attempted Erotica and wouldnt want to subjectt some poor sap to my first attempts, no matter how polished!). Other than that , I don't have any restrictions. I'm not too good at humor, but more than willing to try.

Receiving: I would really love something about a mythical being of some sort watching the world change over time. I'm in an introspective more literary mood this year.

As far as what I'm not fond of receiving, anything that is or borders on torture porn isn't high on my list. Torture isn't really my thing. I love dark, it's my niche, but not torture for torutres sake.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please please let me play! And I'm in for both the giving and the receiving parts.

The giving end: the odder the protagonist, the better. If you like mecha I'm probably not your gal (although the results might be good for a laugh). No torture, no rape, no erotica although I'm not adverse to writing a little heat.

Receiving end: I'll read most anything and don't care if it's light or dark, but I'd love something that centers around food - either the preparation of it or the eating of it. As long as it's not vampire/zombies eating-people-stuff. (Unless the vampire/zombie is Ethel Merman. Vampire/zombie Ethel Merman would be awesome but not a prerequisite.)

Last edited:

Muppster

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Santasquirrel please write me…a story that uses the following words (as inspiration/theme/in the text/whatever) unravelling, typo, star, box…not so interested in sex/gratuitous violence.

I’m willing to try most things (once, anyway), but will suck horribly at a requirement to be overtly sexy. Not really a chick-lit person either. But anything else is fair game.

CM: I think I messed up the rep thing, poke me if you didn't get my e-mail. (want it PM'd even though you said not to PM??)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CM: I think I messed up the rep thing, poke me if you didn't get my e-mail. (want it PM'd even though you said not to PM??)

Nope, all good. It came through in the rep.

I've updated the Sign-Up List of AWesome with the latest info. Of note, we have 21 "both" players and 2 Betas so far! And it's still the first week.

strange20weird20funny20pictures20of_Happy-Snake.jpg

Last edited: