Fan Film Question

fedorable1

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a few questions I wonder if you could help me with. I am working on a fan film short, and realize that legally it's not allowed to make any kind of profit. I've been told, though, that they are also not allowed in film festivals because they are based on copyrighted work. However, I see fan films being nominated for short film festivals and other events all the time.

Do you have any experience with fan films? And if so, do you know if they are in fact allowed to be submitted to smaller festivals? Either way, are there certain criteria or stipulations for whether or not they can be excepted?

Thanks in advance.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
There's no general answer to this--you'll have to look up specifics for the particular fandom. For instance, Lucasfilm encourages fan films, and is currently running a contest where they'll give awards in several different categories. Other franchises are less forgiving--the maker of a Batman fan film got a cease-and-desist letter from Warner last year (in part because it had an associated crowdfunding campaign, so it's not clear they would have lawyered up without that).

Do your research--and as always when legal matters are in question, it's probably best to consult a lawyer.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Do your research also applies to the festivals. Different festivals will have different requirements for submissions.