Earth-like planet discovered

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
NASA scientists are calling the planet Kepler-186f, and it's unlike anything they've found. The big news: Kepler-186f is the closest relative to the Earth that researchers have discovered.

It's the first Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone of another star—the sweet spot between too-hot Mercury-like planets and too-cold Neptunes— and it is likely to give scientists their first real opportunity to seek life elsewhere in the universe. "It's no longer in the realm of science fiction," said Elisa Quintana, a researcher at the SETI Institute.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ists-just-found-earths-closest-cousin/360843/

It's only ten percent larger than Earth and has a year of one hundred thirty days. Even if life isn't discovered in some form there, it has the potential to be a perfect planet for colonization.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I remember reading about this earlier this year. It's cool but discouraging at the same time.

If we were to detect any type of intelligence-created signals sent from that planet, they'd have been sent in our 16th century. And, if we were to try to communicate, they wouldn't get our messages until at least 2500 CE.

We need warp drive now, Scotty!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! I'm already 62 years old. The last thing I'd want to do is get another year older every four months or so. I guess you'll have to count me out. :sarcasm

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
That is really interesting. When can we expect an update? I mean, it shouldn't take too long to examine the light waves and figure out what is in the atmosphere. Or to look for evidense of seasonal changes. Or detect oceans? Or maybe it is not as simple as that (probably not.) Wouldn't it be wild to detect the light of cities at night? I'm being horribly anthropomorphic, aren't I? And probably over-estimating our telescopes. I just hope we remember the Prime Directive.

By the way, how is SETI doing in general? Any more "Wow Signals"? Any developments to speak of?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
This is great news. Thanks for posting it!