AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: McCarren Publishing

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

McCarren Publishing

ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

After a year, has two books; both by same author.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    McCarren now has a 3rd book out, by a different author, and another in the works. They're gearing toward a more mature audience with the 3rd and 4th releases.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coda1108 View Post
    McCarren now has a 3rd book out, by a different author, and another in the works. They're gearing toward a more mature audience with the 3rd and 4th releases.
    Adding link to their homepage.

Welcome to AW. Are you one of those authors?

They are a tiny POD with no distributor (Ingram wholesales their books) and no marketing outside of online sites. That doesn't make for book sales and that should concern any writer considering this publisher or any other one similar to them.

I have no idea what their contract looks like or how they pay royalties, but after reading the other thread where they posted replies, I have little confidence they know what they are doing.
    Last edited by brianm; 09-24-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Fortunately, Mr. Bonazelli has an existing platform/readership.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    No, I'm not an author. However I do handle royalties and some other administrative aspects. McCarren has a very generous royalty structure and in fact is very selective when it comes to authors because of this. If you do any search on the fourth book, "Do The Devil's Work For Him: How To Make It In The Music Industry (And Stay In It)" by Amy Sciarretto and Rick Florino you'll see quite a presence. Amy Sciarretto has a 15 plus year music journalism career and with an admirable following.
    Last edited by Coda1108; 07-28-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: type-o

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Which basically tells me (if I'm reading this correctly) that these authors are doing well because of their established following. A new author would have no following, so where exactly is the benefit to that new writer if there is no distribution or marketing?

As a personal note: I don't find any of the covers at all appealing, they look very amateurish. And the website design hurts my eyes a bit, the colours are a bit too contrasting. A more subtler blend than the dark dark blue and the beige would probably make the effect a lot more pleasant.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Fourth book pubbed in '09, no further activity.
    ICAO
    ---------