Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What horror novel/short story are you reading?

I just started Clive Barker's Camal. He's one of my favorites!
    “The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress.”
    —Philip Roth

“Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works.”
    —Virginia Woolf

practical experience, FTW Axl Prose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Being one of the few King novels I've never read, I'm currently plowing through Duma Key. I'm just loving the style and the similarities to some of King's life events; I'm never sure if I'm reading fiction or if King's purposely reaching through.
    If that's one of your few of King's, you should without a doubt check out some of his others. Duma was good, but he has many books that are better. His a great storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by marinapr9 View Post
    King's Doctor Sleep. I can't put it down.
    I couldn't either. Following up The Shining are some pretty big shoes to fill, but I think it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Axl, let me know what you think of it when you finish it, will you? Thanks!
    I might pm you if that's ok so not to put too much spoilers out here. I saw your post and 3 stars sounds about right. Not one of my favorites.
    *Minor spoilers*
    I will say, I thought the first 100 pages or so were outstanding, on par his best stuff. But once the first Act or whatever you want to call it ends, after the terrible sermon when everyone grows up and moves on, it really took a turn I didn't care for, and I just couldn't regroup after that.
    Last edited by Axl Prose; 01-06-2015 at 08:37 PM.

practical experience, FTW

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Prose View Post
    I might pm you if that's ok so not to put too much spoilers out here. I saw your post and 3 stars sounds about right. Not one of my favorites.
    Sure. PM me. Anyone can send me anything, as long as it isn't spam about erectile dysfunction products; or how time is running out to file a lawsuit if I've experienced death caused by a new medication; or it's a guide to finding a Russian bride (this last one you can send anyway, if the women are really hot).
    Last edited by Tinman; 01-07-2015 at 09:55 AM.

I haven't read one in a long time because there aren't any good icky bug stories out there that I can grab off the shelf at Barnes & Noble. Period. I'm constantly on the lookout but it's a rare time when I see one. I have to order through Amazon or whatever and I'm not a huge fan of that. I like to feel and hold the book first. I especially like to leaf through it and make sure it's in third-person, past-tense. I can't stand either first-person or present-tense. Those sample chapters that they give you on line don't always represent what the book might actually be like once you get into it. Some authors like to switch POV styles which is even worse. So, unless I can hold it in my grubby little hands, or know for sure how the author writes, I won't touch it.

Action/Adventure/Thriller
    Icky Bug (Horror)
    Fantasy (D&D plot driven)
    Science Fiction Thriller

Web site: http://www.fredrayworth.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeleenasAdv...homepage_panel
    Twitter: @FredRayworth_Writer

Rejections as of Dec 10, 2015 = 689
    Good icky bug is a monster that eats half the characters, they say f***k a lot, and there is gratuitous sex that has nothing to do with the plot! LOL.
    Seriously, Treasure Of The Umbrunna (fantasy) Out now!

practical experience, FTW CWHs2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    What horror novel/short story are you currently reading?

I just finished Stephen King's Revival. I'll be generous and give it 3 out of 5 stars.

SPOILER ALERT. For some reason, I didn't connect with the MC, that didn't help, and the ending was very dark and depressing.
    Finished The Revival yesterday and like you, I give it 3 stars. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great either. There were some parts of the book where the story didn't seem to be going anywhere and it felt disjointed. I kinda liked the ending, even though it was depressing and pessimistic, and like the MC said (SPOILER ALERT) Jacobs was dying anyway so why couldn't he just wait??

Quote Originally Posted by CWHs2 View Post
    Finished The Revival yesterday and like you, I give it 3 stars. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great either. There were some parts of the book where the story didn't seem to be going anywhere and it felt disjointed. I kinda liked the ending, even though it was depressing and pessimistic, and like the MC said (SPOILER ALERT) Jacobs was dying anyway so why couldn't he just wait??
    CWH, I hope Mr. Mercedes is better (I'm currently number 14 on the Missouri Library Ebook loan waiting list, lol). Lately, I can't seem to find many books that hold my interest. We'll see.
    Last edited by Tinman; 01-22-2015 at 04:41 AM.

practical experience, FTW Alma Matters's Avatar
    I'm currently reading 'Duel' by Richard Matheson.

I got the short story collection and DVD of the movie for Christmas. A double bill so to speak.

I have Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge sat waiting next... anyone read it?

Cultivate the heart quality. - Ali AW Moderator Jcomp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alma Matters View Post
    I'm currently reading 'Duel' by Richard Matheson.

I got the short story collection and DVD of the movie for Christmas. A double bill so to speak.

I have Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge sat waiting next... anyone read it?
    I've read Dark Harvest. By the end of the story, you realize that the premise kind of doesn't hold up if you think on it too much, but otherwise I found it to be excellent. A swift read, steadily creepy, very good prose, clever but not cute, smart but not overdone.

practical experience, FTW Niccolo's Avatar
    I just picked up Offspring by Jack Ketchum but haven't started it yet. Off Season was a pleasant surprise, given how much I usually dislike gore-soaked horror, so I'm pretty excited to start this one.

Thanks Jcomp - looking forward to getting started on it.

Niccolo - I also really enjoyed Off Season. I won't go into it too much in case others want to read it but found it very gripping and intense.

Would be interested to know how Offspring goes down.

Thumbs up

One of the reasons I started this thread was to find novels or stories I was unaware of, particularly ones by writers on AW.

I just noticed there's a forum, AW Library, for stories published by AW authors. It's divided up into interests, just like SYW. I'm sure many of you already knew that, so this post was for writers as blind and clueless as I am..................
    Tinman

First lily of summer AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    The Devil Rides Out, by Dennis Wheatley.

It's a product of its time with its instances of casual racism. I keep having to remind myself as I read. Also, our hero looks nothing like Christopher Lee. I'm having fun comparing it to the absolutely delightful Hammer film.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin thevernacular's Avatar
    I'm rereading a lot of Poe at the moment, but also trying to savor this story chapter by chapter. Really fabulous work.

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading,
    you can only think what everyone else is thinking." – Haruki Murakami
    GOODREADSINKITTTWITTER

Sockpuppet
    Just finished The Grove by John Rector, which was brilliant. Now I'm starting The Others by Thomas Tryon, which I've somehow never read.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin NancyGWrites's Avatar
    American Psycho -- not sure if will be able to keep going when get to the murdering parts from what I've read on GoodReads but we'll see. The MC, Patrick Bateman, is one sick man. Wow.

practical experience, FTW Axl Prose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyGWrites View Post
    American Psycho -- The MC, Patrick Bateman, is one sick man. Wow.
    Ya think Ever seen the movie? I thought Christian Bale did a great job bringing the character to life.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Kevvy711's Avatar
    I just got done reading burn, witch burn by Abraham Merritt. It was a pretty good read.

experimental food product Dedsquirrl's Avatar
    Carnacki the Ghost Finder by William H. Hodgson.

It reads like Sherlock Holmes with a supernatual/horror twist.

It's 9 short stories so it doesn't take long to get through. I wish there were more.
    ------------------------------------------------
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
    -Groucho Marx

I'm halfway through The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom. So far so good. Teally atmospheric and a unique take on a haunting.

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin hauntedwriter's Avatar
    I have a lot going. For some reason I can't stick to one book and just get it done. I'm currently listening to the audio book of Joe Hill's HEART SHAPED BOX. I'm over half way done with it and I like it.

I'm reading, NIGHT TERRORS: THE GHOST STORIES OF E.F. BENSON. Between those short stories I read a couple of Susan Hill's stories on Kindle. I just bought William Meikle's (an AWer) book, TORMENTOR, which I'm excited to read.

Plus all the different books on writing. Slowly but surely I'm getting books read and written...

Cultivate the heart quality. - Ali AW Moderator Jcomp's Avatar
    Just got around to T.E.D. Klein's Dark Gods collection, which I'd picked up at a library sale a couple of months back. A few paragraphs into the first story, "Children of the Kingdom" I realized I'd read it before, in the Dark Forces anthology. Moving on to the next story instead of re-reading that one, but even more excited to see what's next, as I remember enjoying "Children of the Kingdom" quite a bit.

Hey Jcomp - I also have Dark Gods. So far I've read 'Children of the Kingdom' and 'Petey'. Let me know what you think once you're done.

On the subject of 'Dark Forces' I think it's an excellent collection of short stories.
    Last edited by Alma Matters; 04-02-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo Doh!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Red Barchetta's Avatar
    I recently finished Gillian Flynn's "Dark Places." I loved it. And it was very dark and creepy, yet very interesting.

I last posted to this thread in January and here it is May and I haven't seen any new icky bug yet, at least at Barnes & Noble. Really sucks. I wish I could say I find stuff on line at Amazon or something, but I like to touch and feel the book before I buy, and I also like to leaf through it to make sure it's solid third-person past tense all the way through. I can't do that on line before I buy. I don't use an e-reader either.

Oh well... still waiting.

Icky Bug (Horror)
    Science Fiction Thriller

Good icky bug is a monster that eats half the characters, they say f***k a lot, and there is gratuitous sex that has nothing to do with the plot! LOL.

What Lies Beneath by Ryan Lockwood. Reality based icky bug, but still pretty good. Not much else is out there, especially new that's in paper form and available in the bookstore.

Icky Bug (Horror)
    Science Fiction Thriller

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast